AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

paul74 Avatar
paul74 Paul Gurnee
Ferndale, CA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
I would like to convert my 'garage' into shop space which would put the B out on the street. I live in NoCA. We get 50 / 60" rain in a 5 month winter. My car is a rust free driver. I want it to stay that way. What do you think?
Paul

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JWD Jim D.
Gig Harbor, Washington, USA   USA
I have 2 garages plus a large shop where I do my work. NOTHING parks outside.

warekl Avatar
warekl Silver Member Keith Ware
White Bear Lake Mn, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT
1979 MG MGB
Won't be rust free for long in the rain....... it gets in through places you never expect. Maybe get one of these.....

USMC ... Semper Fi
79 RB Lowered, HS4s by Dave Braun & "Schlemmerized" 25D Dizzy, 9.5:1 CR, Mild Performance Cam, 18V with OD Tranny.

73 GT in Black Tulip

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Ex-Calif Avatar
Ex-Calif Gold Member Dan D
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB GT "Bart - Yellow And Naughty"
1977 MG MGB "Red Betty"
2012 Jeep Liberty "Tank"
2014 Hyundai Accent "Skate"
I couldn'imagine my Bs outside. But in Calif I might consuder a car cover.

How about adding a carport?

The goal - Reliable summer driver interspersed with mechanical tinkering...
Motto - "Driving fifty in the twisties..."
On Mods - It's your damn car - Do what you want. Haters gonna hate...
On SUVs - Drive your B like a soccer mom is texting her friends about how she wants to kill you...
Red Betty - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHN5UH418165
Bart - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHD4U146898G

GMB3 Avatar
GMB3 George Badger
Soquel, CA, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB "1QUICK B"
I do believe the rust is not due to rain or the amount of rain but to dirt and debris collecting in little pockets that get wet and that contributes to the rust.

You really should remove the panels in the front fenders and clean that area out periodically. In the rear clean out the pockets at the bottom of the fenders. Be sure your door drains are working, and the cold air inlet drain too. Crap can get caught under the side SS finishers and the seals if they are not well sealed. The more the car is driven, the more attention that should be paid to these areas.

Of course, if one lets standing water stay somewhere, you are the cause.

---
GEO

dipstick Avatar
dipstick Kenny Snyder
La Center, Washington, USA   USA
1941 Ford N-Series
1958 MG MGA 1500 Coupe "Rosie"
1970 MG MGB GT "Pat's GT"
1971 MG MGB "Gifted To Me"    & more
I have a 30' x 60' pole building and a three car garage. No vehicles park outside. The cold rain here grows moss on all vehicles.

Be safe out there.
Kenny

JoeReed Avatar
JoeReed Gold Member Joe Reed
Cordova, Tennessee, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Kermit"
What kind of shop (woodworking, metal fabrication, ??) and how much time to you plan to be working in there? Could you put shop equipment (stationary power tools, workbenches, etc.) on casters so you could move the shop stuff around to make room for the B when you weren't working on something? That might at least minimize the time the car sits outside.

oshawaMGguy Avatar
oshawaMGguy Greg Wright
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada   CAN
I garage it in the winter (and summer when there's room,) but most of the summer is spent in the driveway under a cover.

1974 1/2 Blaze Red MGB, member of the British Saloon Car Club of Canada (EastEnders Chapter)

converse212 Avatar
converse212 Eric Morgan
Tucker, Georgia, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA
1970 MG MGB "Daily Driver"
1970 MG MGB GT "Rusty"
1971 MG MGB GT    & more
I have a 1.5 car...my project MGA lives inside, with my motorcycle and bicycle. My B lives outside, has for the last three years(only half of that under my ownership). It does fine.

I think the larger issue is leaving a car outside and not driving it regularly. If you drive it, it tends to shake off the cobwebs and such

Daily driving a '71 MGB

Resurrecting a '58 MGA

OldBloke Avatar
OldBloke Gold Member Jim Legg
Napa, California, USA   USA
1970 Rover 3500
1971 MG MGB GT
1972 MG MGB V6 Conversion
1973 MG MGB "Tagalong"
This is as close to garage as my MGs usually see. They are only in it if work needed. Single garage with place for tools and spares as needed. Carport covers both MGs and usually with car covers on stay pretty dry and snug...!

"Not all who wander are lost." -J.R.R. Tolkien

Attachments:
Garage.jpeg    66.7 KB
Garage.jpeg

Carport 1.jpeg    74 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Carport.jpeg    53.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
paul74 Avatar
paul74 Paul Gurnee
Ferndale, CA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
I am considering trying to fit a carport in somewhere. It is tight around here.
The car has been out all summer, with a cover. I just hate having to cover and uncover every day. Yea. I know, poor me.
I am a carpenter. My tools are usually in my truck, with me, but sometimes need space for different projects I am working on.
The capsule. I love the capsule. lol.
Paul

mowog1 Avatar
mowog1 Gold Member Rick Ingram
Saint Joseph, Illinois, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "The V8"
1978 MG MGB "Maggie"    & more
In reply to # 3568938 by paul74 I would like to convert my 'garage' into shop space which would put the B out on the street. I live in NoCA. We get 50 / 60" rain in a 5 month winter. My car is a rust free driver. I want it to stay that way. What do you think?
Paul

Check the verbiage of your insurance policy. If you're with Hagerty or Grundy (etc) you need to store the car in a garage, etc.

1969 MGC - 1972 MGB - 1974&1/2 MGB/GT V8 conversion - 1978 MGB

mowog1@aol.com

Member Services:
Pieces of Eight! has provided gas-charged bonnet & bootlid strut kits for the MGB/MGC and hatch kits for the MGB/GT-MGC/GT since 1996. We have recently added MG Midget bonnet and bootlid kits to inventory. Contact Rick at: mowog1@aol.com
Rod H. Avatar
Amity, Oregon, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
I wouldn't leave it out, Paul. We only get 40" of rain annually here, but it's spread out over a few more months. smiling smiley

It's not just rust, there's sun damage to consider also. Got room for a carport with the side toward the driving rains enclosed?

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

Steve S Avatar
On The Road, Lost in So Cal, USA   USA
Hi Paul, nice to see you (so to speak). Cars outside... been there, done that, no more for me. Cars left outside really do weather fast, even in a mild climate. Moisture, sun, cats, mice, racoons, dust, they're all out to get you. The only way I would consider it would be if there was some sort of carport or awning to park it under.

One option would be to build your shop and put everything you can on wheels. Then when bad weather comes along, you can roll your machines and tables to the side and squeeze the car in. You'd sleep better knowing the car was dry while the rain pounds on your roof all night. You saw my old garage and how I squeezed five cars in when needed. Casters were my best friend in that garage!

pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, Nova Scotia, Canada   CAN
I'm looking into car storage. Mostly for winter storage. I figured out that I can fit 2 MGs in a 10 x 16 shed if I install a storage lift. 10x16 is pretty much the size of the lift. I'm not sure I will actually do it... but it's on my list of options.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster