AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Chas69 Avatar
Chas69 Karl Mynyk
Orefield, PA., USA   USA
1972 MG MGB
Could they be intermittent when failing (causing backfire) or do they just quit? Thanks. Chas

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
They just die

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

HiPowerShooter Avatar
HiPowerShooter Gold Member James Booker
Lake Winneconne, WI, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
That...One of the reasons some stay with points is that they will at least give you some warning rather than just go.

I've heard tell of a few who swear they had issues prior but most electronic modules of this sort either work or don't.

In reply to # 3568797 by ohlord They just die

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"--Alvin "Tex" Johnston...Boeing test pilot.

73 MGB. Tires: Round, black, hold air. Oil: Sometimes old, sometimes new...always slippery. Oil filter: Yellow, usually full of oil. Carbs: 2 SU HIF. Distributor: Yes. Headlights: Not that bright but bright enough. A bunch of other stuff most cars have but not really important enough to itemize. Oh, wait...it has a cool sounding exhaust with stickers on the chrome tips. Really slays the ladies...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Silver Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, Ca, USA   USA
Gotts to disagree: When a fuse blows, or a light bulb burns out, it is "Done" After 20+ years working for the 3M Company as a Technician servicing their line of "Electronic" equipment. It could be "Intermittent" More tests are needed before "Chucking it "

Ex-Calif Avatar
Ex-Calif Gold Member Dan D
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB GT "Bart - Yellow And Naughty"
1977 MG MGB "Red Betty"
2012 Jeep Liberty "Tank"
2014 Hyundai Accent "Skate"
Solve for backfiring. Replacing the pertronix module is like troubleshooting step 10 or more...

What have you done so far?

The goal - Reliable summer driver interspersed with mechanical tinkering...
Motto - "Driving fifty in the twisties..."
On Mods - It's your damn car - Do what you want. Haters gonna hate...
On SUVs - Drive your B like a soccer mom is texting her friends about how she wants to kill you...
Red Betty - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHN5UH418165
Bart - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHD4U146898G

Chas69 Avatar
Chas69 Karl Mynyk
Orefield, PA., USA   USA
1972 MG MGB
Hi Dan,

The usual. Plugs, wires, coil. Also, New Weber.... trying to hone in idle mixture and timing by ear. Did not touch valve adjustments because it was not backfiring before I parked it 8 years ago. +Chas

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
They just fail...

In reply to # 3568816 by oleanderjoe Gotts to disagree: When a fuse blows, or a light bulb burns out, it is "Done" After 20+ years working for the 3M Company as a Technician servicing their line of "Electronic" equipment. It could be "Intermittent" More tests are needed before "Chucking it "

It's a long way around"

Vietnam 1969-1972

Ex-Calif Avatar
Ex-Calif Gold Member Dan D
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB GT "Bart - Yellow And Naughty"
1977 MG MGB "Red Betty"
2012 Jeep Liberty "Tank"
2014 Hyundai Accent "Skate"
Oh. I see.

I stay out of Weber threads. No idea how to make them run right...

Good luck with it.

The goal - Reliable summer driver interspersed with mechanical tinkering...
Motto - "Driving fifty in the twisties..."
On Mods - It's your damn car - Do what you want. Haters gonna hate...
On SUVs - Drive your B like a soccer mom is texting her friends about how she wants to kill you...
Red Betty - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHN5UH418165
Bart - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHD4U146898G

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Look for vacuum leaks. Propane burner/rubber hose method (not lit)
Do First
Then
After the engine is sealed properly
Progress from ignition side over to carb side
Timing,plugs,valve lash,carb

Weber type? And supplier ?

It's a long way around"

Vietnam 1969-1972

ingoldsb Avatar
ingoldsb Silver Member Terry Ingoldsby
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1971 MG MGB
In the vast majority of cases, electronics do fail abruptly and terminally. However, it is possible to get a component that can "puncture" due to voltage or fail intermittently due to temperature.

I would be more inclined to suspect the rotor, cap or even plug wires than the Pertronix though.

Terry Ingoldsby
terry.ingoldsby@DCExperts.com

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Silver Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, Ca, USA   USA
MG and Triumph "Factory" Electronic Ignition, Intermittent as hell Customer complaint: "I was just driving along and it just quit, like you pulled the plug out of the wall. I pulled over, opened the hood and looked around. Could not find anything wrong. '(Pre Cell Phone Days, Remember when)" After about 10 minutes, i tried to start it back up. It started fine and I drove home. This is like the fifth time this has happened. Ring a Bell ????????

GMB3 Avatar
GMB3 George Badger
Soquel, CA, USA   USA
1965 Jaguar E-Type Coupe "1QUICK E"
1968 MG MGB "1QUICK B"
Oh, the running great when parked syndrome.

Why the new carb?

If one thinks it is fuel related, it is normally electrical. And vice versa.

In reply to # 3568831 by Chas69 Hi Dan,

The usual. Plugs, wires, coil. Also, New Weber.... trying to hone in idle mixture and timing by ear. Did not touch valve adjustments because it was not backfiring before I parked it 8 years ago. +Chas

---
GEO

B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, Minnesota, USA   USA
1950 Willys Jeep Pickup "Ratrod"
1971 MG MGB
2014 Dodge Charger
I've seen issues with Pertronix where they misfire radically with certain sets of plug wires. I've also seen them start to fail, and timing will jump in increments. If your car has sat for 8 years, I'd look at the distributor itself as the mechanical advance assembly may be sticking or stuck. Lots of things can happen while parked for long periods, including corrosion inside the ground wires and battery cables. This is something critical to check and replace, especially in your climate.

jeff@advanceddistributors.com

kpeng Avatar
kpeng Ken Peng
Gainesville, Florida, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB "Trudy"
I have the Pertronix Ignitor setup, brand new Cobalt wires, HD rotor and new cap from Northwest Imports, and NGK plugs...car runs perfectly.

Y'all shouldn't be so afraid of modern electronics, this beats dealing with the points system any day.

1972 MGB
2014 BMW 335i
2008 Chevy Silverado 1500
2004 BMW 330i (Sold)
1988 BMW 325 (Sold)

pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, Nova Scotia, Canada   CAN
I had an intermittent ignition problem that was caused by the green wire that goes to the seatbelt buzzer switch on the gearbox. The connector had popped off and every time it shorted to ground the tach dropped to zero and the ignition quit. It would blow the "green fuse" if it shorted badly enough.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster