MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Metal Flanges on under carriage, work very well for transporting my B!

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

danthefitman Avatar
danthefitman danthefitman H
Portland, Oregon, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB MkIII "1st ABFM 2008 & 2010-2016!"
The metal Flanges on under carriage, work very well for transporting my B! Thanks to Dave Walsh, transporting my MGB went without incident!

Dave and I weren't sure, if the earlier model MGB have the same metal flange at front and rear underneath the carriage of the car? Do all MGB's have the same metal flange that is on the undercarriage for tying the car down with chains or just the later model MGB's from 77 to 80?

The metal flanges at the rear of the car passenger side and front of the car driver side, on the undercarriage, work really well for chaining the car down to a car transport trailer!

Thank you Dave Walsh!

1st Place Winner ABFM Portland Oregon 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016!
dan@motorcardetailing.com or dan@fitnessintraining.com
the body is a temple, not a warehouse | for your body and your car

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-17 04:04 PM by danthefitman.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMAG1531.jpg    35.3 KB
IMAG1531.jpg

BumbleB74 Avatar
BumbleB74 William Milholen
Tidewater, Tidewater VA, USA   USA
You mean the ones on the rubber bumpers?

1974-1/2 Roadster, "Bumble Bee", Corvette Yellow - in shambles, wire wheels
1976 Roadster, "Virus", Sandglow - "driver" condition (stock + 32/36 Weber DGEV, cast iron header, 25D distributor), bolt on wheels, ON the road!

danthefitman Avatar
Nope. They're not on the Polyurethane bumpers, they're on the frame of the car, well apart from the bumper. Yo.

1st Place Winner ABFM Portland Oregon 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016!

29desoto Avatar
29desoto Gold Member Wayne Sanders
Outside Otis, OR - in the woods!, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1965 MG MGB V6 Conversion "Carmine"
1977 MG MGB "Ole Yeller"
1979 MG MGB "Kermit"    & more
There's David, old Johnny on the spot. Did he bring doughnuts? grinning smiley

(he always brings the best doughnuts to ABFM, which is coming up soon. Oh, David........!)

Wayne Sanders
Rose Lodge, OR
(TD 4288)

"I don't care to belong to any club that accepts people like me"-joined Willamette Valley Club in 2011

77 MGB - Four tone paint -Pertronix - hood props - cheap tires - new springs all around - mixture of poly and rubber bushings- fuzzy seatcovers - stereo out of old F150 pickup -runs flawlessly and drives nice.

78 MGB - Done right by a good PO, and I only bought it. Tell Jim how nice it is. But I did put in a Datsun 5 speed.

53 TD Mark II - a work in progress.

79/65 MGB - Carmine- V-6 - T-5
This car is now very nearly completely done. Sure to find something else, but not now.........

danthefitman Avatar
Morn'n Wayne, Dave is a rare breed, he actually helps people. He asks for little, gives much and has a fun way about him that puts people at ease. He's my friend and yours too. BRAVO David!

In reply to # 3554154 by 29desoto There's David, old Johnny on the spot. Did he bring doughnuts? grinning smiley

(he always brings the best doughnuts to ABFM, which is coming up soon. Oh, David........!)

chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Yup!
so do you have pics of the flanges in question??

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
steve12955 Steve B
Massachusetts, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB "Emma"
My '70B has a tow bracket on each side of the front bumper under the overrider but none on the rear. When my car was towed due to a failed fuel pump the driver initially wanted to hook to them but decided instead to use the front crossmember. Once on the flatbed he tied down the rear using the leaf spring shackles on each side. He didn't use the differential since brake lines run along the axle tubes.

Attachments:
IMG_20170718_131245171.jpg    33.9 KB
IMG_20170718_131245171.jpg

danthefitman Avatar
Yo Chris, why yes I do! Please see attached images.

In reply to # 3554218 by chris Yup!
so do you have pics of the flanges in question??

Attachments:
IMAG1541.jpg    25.1 KB
IMAG1541.jpg

IMAG1540.jpg    26.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Early cars didn't have those. If anything, it was like what Steve shows in his foto.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
lewk Avatar
lewk Silver Member Keith Lewis
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada   CAN
My bet is those "flanges" have been added to the underside at some point. I don't think they are stock.

Edmonds, WA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3554448 by lewk My bet is those "flanges" have been added to the underside at some point. I don't think they are stock.

They are stock and were used for shipping.

rdgreen Avatar
rdgreen Robert Green
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 3554252 by steve12955 My '70B has a tow bracket on each side of the front bumper under the overrider but none on the rear. When my car was towed due to a failed fuel pump the driver initially wanted to hook to them but decided instead to use the front crossmember. Once on the flatbed he tied down the rear using the leaf spring shackles on each side. He didn't use the differential since brake lines run along the axle tubes.

Steve, those brackets are for tying the vehicle down during transportation, not for towing. You might get away with it once or twice but I wouldn't make a habit of using them in a tow.

Rod H. Avatar
Amity, Oregon, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
Donuts? winking smiley Dave makes the best baked beans I've ever tasted!

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

danthefitman Avatar
The brackets are definitely Factory. They were definitely not put on after market. Definitely!

Anybody know guys down here in southern Oregon that have MGB's and or British car shops that are reputable?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-18 06:31 PM by danthefitman.

mgbanthony Avatar
mgbanthony Platinum Member Anthony Henderson
Gananoque, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB    & more
I've spent some quality time in the towing industry....Those are designed and rated as initial shipping tie down brackets, and are absolutely not built to take the shock loading which happens with a car on a flat bed.

Front a-arms and either rear spring shackles or J-hooks on the rear axle tubes,placed so that the brake lines aren't crushed, which can be done by wiggling the J-hook between the brake line and the axle tube are the old safe standby towing points for MGBs.

Any rental trailer or commercial flat bed tow truck built in this century will be equipped with webbing harnesses for the 4 wheels...a damage free necessity for deck loading virtually any newish vehicle.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster