AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
I've mentioned in passing in other topics that I have most of the parts other than the body of my '79 "stored" until I decide what to do with them after I finish my V8. You guys often list complete cars for ridiculous, by our standards, prices. I've been watching this - it's the 3rd time listed that I'm aware of. First time it got to A$910, 2nd time A$710 but "reserve not met". This time he's put a "buy it now" A$2200 (US$1721).

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CC rear attached to Ford FG ute axle. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-17 05:22 AM by MGB567.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Broadwater NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
1996 Jeep Cherokee "Shopping Trolley"
He's being a bit naff, also offering the bonnet and boot panels at around $500 each, got no hope I reckon.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

Ex-Calif Avatar
Ex-Calif Gold Member Dan D
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB GT "Bart - Yellow And Naughty"
1977 MG MGB "Red Betty"
2012 Jeep Liberty "Tank"
2014 Hyundai Accent "Skate"
Barrie,

I am confused by context. Are you saying "You guys...list complete cars for ridiculous...prices" Do you mean ridiculous low?

So the guy spent $5k (allegedly) working on a body shell and is asking really stupid money (high) for it - Are you insinuating something like, "Even a body shell here goes for over what a complete car goes for in the US."

If so my observation is, "It looks like no one is going to buy that thing for anything over A$910. That's about what you might pay for a complete shell here."

People aren't stupid and can easily sleuth what you did.

First round A$910, Second round A$710. Third round reserve at A$1200.

Apparently this guy things by farting around with eBay parameters the value of his shell will magically go up.

As they say over here, "Crap in one had and wish in the other and see what fills up faster."

He shoulda taken the $910

In reply to # 3553375 by MGB567 I've mentioned in passing in other topics that I have most of the parts other than the body of my '79 "stored" until I decide what to do with them after I finish my V8. You guys often list complete cars for ridiculous, by our standards, prices. I've been watching this - it's the 3rd time listed that I'm aware of. First time it got to A$910, 2nd time A$710 but "reserve not met". This time he's put a "buy it now" A$2200 (US$1721).

The goal - Reliable summer driver interspersed with mechanical tinkering...
Motto - "Driving fifty in the twisties..."
On Mods - It's your damn car - Do what you want. Haters gonna hate...
On SUVs - Drive your B like a soccer mom is texting her friends about how she wants to kill you...
Red Betty - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHN5UH418165
Bart - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHD4U146898G

ingoldsb Avatar
ingoldsb Silver Member Terry Ingoldsby
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1971 MG MGB
I agree with you. 2/3 of the MGBs manufactured were sold in the U.S. and Canada. Having that number of cars to start with keeps the prices low (simple laws of supply and demand). Also, having Moss Motors and Victoria British (both based in the U.S.) has also been very helpful in maintaining low component prices.

Terry Ingoldsby
terry.ingoldsby@DCExperts.com

Noble66 Avatar
Noble66 Gold Member Noble Bradford
Orlando, Florida, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB "Black Betty"
1969 MG MGC GT
1974 MG MGB "Whitey"
This guy has been trying to sell this car for almost 2 years now. About a year ago I had him down to $1,300. I almost bought it. I even cut a patch piece off my parts car to patch that rear corner. With shipping it would've cost me $2k. I had 5 cars at that time so I decided to focus on what I have.

If anyone buys it I'll ship them the corner patch.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292186193184

MGB567 Avatar
" Do you mean ridiculous low? " Yes - people mention picking up a driver for far less than what he's asking. My post was a bit spinning smiley sticking its tongue out but was designed to highlight the disparities between markets.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CC rear attached to Ford FG ute axle. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

melbaver Avatar
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
He's got $1900 on the boot (trunk), bonnet (hood), and two doors, should throw the shell in for free.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

MGB567 Avatar
So he's actually asking A$4100 for a body with no drive train or motor and it still needs to be assembled/welded. You know what comes next - "tell him he's dreaming"

OzDave Avatar
OzDave Dave Barton
London, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Wonder how many outside of Oz will catch the "dreaming" reference Bazza! grinning smiley

MGB567 Avatar
Well it's certainly not "going straight to the pool room" Davo smiling bouncing smiley

melbaver Avatar
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
In reply to # 3555341 by OzDave Wonder how many outside of Oz will catch the "dreaming" reference Bazza! grinning smiley

Quite a few I should think. But, just in case:

Chris Howells

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-20 06:45 AM by melbaver.

MGB567 Avatar
"He shoulda taken the $910"

<2hours to go and 0 bids.

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
1966 Mk1 with D type overdrive
Hard bargaining might get it for 3 Grand...

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Attachments:
00E0E_d1p30Gi8Pr1_600x450.jpg    44.8 KB
00E0E_d1p30Gi8Pr1_600x450.jpg

MGB567 Avatar
One bid A$1200 so I guess he's up $290

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1957 MG MGA 1500 Coupe

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links