AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

A Thank You to Olive Garden
  This topic is about my 1975 MG MGB
royster Avatar
royster Roy Aber
Bethel Park, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB "Nigel"
This morning I took my wife to breakfast in my 1975 MGB. Beautiful mid-summer morning, very little traffic, it was a fabulous Sunday morning drive. Everything was fine until we were about a mile from home on the return trip. Pulling away from a red light on a busy four lane highway, the MGB suddenly bucked and died. After coasting into an Olive Garden restaurant parking lot with a dead engine, I diagnosed the problem as a bad fuel pump so I called my friend to bring his tool box, stop over at my house, pick up the spare pump I have on hand for such emergencies and meet me at Olive Garden and I would replace the pump there rather than have the car towed home. My friend and his significant other showed up about 20 minutes later with everything I needed to do the job. It's about 85 degrees out and we're working on an asphalt parking lot surface and sweat is running down my face, I'm trying to keeping from spilling gas on the pavement and keep out of the way of the restaurant's paying customers (it is now approaching noontime). Just as I'm getting the old fuel pump out, here comes the manager from the Olive Garden carrying four huge glasses of ice water for my friends, my wife and myself. He said the staff and customers were watching our little Keystone Kops comedy and he thought we would be thirsty from the heat. Needless to say, we appreciated the gesture and I am going to write a letter to Darden Restaurants praising their manager of the Olive Garden in Bethel Park, PA for his thoughtfulness and kindness.
A few minutes later, new fuel pump installed and my wife and I were homeward bound.
Just another typical MG experience.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
-Albert Einstein

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
HoosierMGB Avatar
HoosierMGB Gold Member Steve Koller
South Bend, Indiana, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
Great story! Very kind of him to do that thumbs up

"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood"
Daniel H. Burnham, Architect

1976 MGB - pretty much stock but with a few sundry deviations

dcdci Avatar
dcdci Gold Member Dave Loechel
Kings Park, New York, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
Nice story. It was very thoughtful of him.

In addition to your letter to his bosses you ought to take your friends to dinner there and spend a little money in his restaurant. I'm sure he would really appreciate that as well.

Dave Loechel
66/67 roadster

"How would you like a job where, every time you make a mistake, a big red light goes on and 18,000 people boo?" - Jacques Plante

"I always shot at the goalie and let my inaccuracy score for me." - Mike Bossy

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
fordgt Avatar
fordgt Gold Member Gary Ford
Gainesville, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB
1969 MG MGB
Great idea! I had a "feel good" moment last week. I got to work and about an hour after I got there, I got a phone call that I wasn't expecting. Guy said he found my wallet and wanted to know where to return it. He knew I was an attorney because of my Bar card so he stopped at attorney's office to see if they knew me. They did so they put him on the phone with me. An hour later, he brought my intact wallet to the office. He wouldn't take any $$$ for lunch or gas, I did call his immediate supervisor and tell him what a great employee she had. Also sent an email to corporate customer service praising him.

In reply to # 3553183 by dcdci Nice story. It was very thoughtful of him.

In addition to your letter to his bosses you ought to take your friends to dinner there and spend a little money in his restaurant. I'm sure he would really appreciate that as well.

I aspire to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Gary
1974 DeTomaso Pantera (done!!)
1969 MGB (almost finished!!)
1973 Cougar XR7 Ragtop (next project in line)

angliagt Avatar
angliagt Doug Milota
Eureka, California, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "The MG"
That was nice of him to do that,plus a really smart thing to do -
he'll probably have a customer for life now.

ShickenChit Avatar
ShickenChit Toby Foster
Danville, CA, USA   USA
Find a chance to Pay it Forward!

Gary G Avatar
Toronto, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Great story! Great restaurant manager, too! smiling smiley

I think that's my next project - spare parts and how to install them. I'm thinking alternator (easy install, right?) and a fuel pump (better look at u-tube for that). Then there's the emergency pump you can put in the engine compartment.

Lots of fun!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-16 09:41 PM by Gary G.

dipstick Avatar
dipstick Kenny Snyder
La Center, Washington, USA   USA
1941 Ford N-Series
1958 MG MGA 1500 Coupe "Rosie"
1970 MG MGB GT "Pat's GT"
1971 MG MGB "Gifted To Me"    & more
The Olive Garden crew and the chain will receive thousands of dollars revenue for that act of kindness, the best kind of advertising. One afternoon driving home from work I found a loaded wallet laying in the road, got home and the owner had an unlisted phone number. I called the operator (O) and explained, she contacted the wallet owner, he called and in a few minutes was at my home, very pleased to have his wallet back intact. It is very fulfilling to give and receive benefits for no obvious reward, much like the MGExp.

Be safe out there.
Kenny

HoosierMGB Avatar
HoosierMGB Gold Member Steve Koller
South Bend, Indiana, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
In reply to # 3553324 by dipstick The Olive Garden crew and the chain will receive thousands of dollars revenue for that act of kindness, the best kind of advertising. One afternoon driving home from work I found a loaded wallet laying in the road, got home and the owner had an unlisted phone number. I called the operator (O) and explained, she contacted the wallet owner, he called and in a few minutes was at my home, very pleased to have his wallet back intact. It is very fulfilling to give and receive benefits for no obvious reward, much like the MGExp.

X2 thumbs up

"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood"
Daniel H. Burnham, Architect

1976 MGB - pretty much stock but with a few sundry deviations

Ex-Calif Avatar
Ex-Calif Gold Member Dan D
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB GT "Bart - Yellow And Naughty"
1977 MG MGB "Red Betty"
2012 Jeep Liberty "Tank"
2014 Hyundai Accent "Skate"
I found an ATM card still in the machine - in the days when that was possible. It had a name and it was one of those photo ones.

I stalked the guy on facebook - Found 3 guys with the same name but only one looked like him. I messaged him on facebook. He was pretty skeptical at first but eventually coughed up and address where I drove over and gave him the card back.

Only hope somone does that for me when it ultimately happens...

Losing a wallet is the suckiest thing ever. Did it once. Now I keep a back up wallet with alternate ID and spare credit card. Usually the back up is at home in the safe. When I travel it is carried separately from my "daily driver" wallet.

The goal - Reliable summer driver interspersed with mechanical tinkering...
Motto - "Driving fifty in the twisties..."
On Mods - It's your damn car - Do what you want. Haters gonna hate...
On SUVs - Drive your B like a soccer mom is texting her friends about how she wants to kill you...
Red Betty - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHN5UH418165
Bart - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHD4U146898G

Nicecar Avatar
Nicecar Gary (ex "Harv") G
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
1980 MG MGB "Red On Red On Red"
"Then there's the emergency pump you can put in the engine compartment."

Smarter words were never said, BUT NOT UNTIL YOU'VE ACTUALLY DONE THAT!
Pretty foolish to think about it, and not do it.

My spare "facet pump", tested, in boot, already has a Molex power connector, needed short hose and hose clamps. If OE pump dies, it's a few minute job to insert, and I don't need to impose upon any friends for my stupidity in not already carrying it.

I guess at 3Am, over 65, I have little tolerance for lack of thought.

ron neal Avatar
Coastal, South Carolina, USA   USA
Very nice of the Olive Garden to do that.
I also keep a spare small faucet pump with hose clamps, wiring with alligator clips to reach the fuse box. You can plumb it in near the heater shelf or where you like and it will get you home.
It got me over 400 miles home.
Ron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-17 06:02 AM by ron neal.

Nicecar Avatar
Nicecar Gary (ex "Harv") G
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
1980 MG MGB "Red On Red On Red"
Ron:

Good on you. What if your desperate situation required an immediate spare?!

Because; A Friend in need......

I a PAIN IN THE ASS!

Especially if having ignored frequent advice given here on carrying a small spare, that friend was too stupid to take it.

Ahmed Avatar
Ahmed Silver Member Ahmed EL Abasiry
Chestermere, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1958 MG MGA
1972 MG MGB
1979 MG MGB
Nice story, and you know why?
Because when you're at Olive Garden, you're with family. Seriously!!

"... the motor car, after woman, is the most fragile and capricious thing on earth." - London Daily Mail 1908

tweetymp4 Silver Member Michael Philpott
San Diego, USA   USA
He didn't bring you any bread sticks... A really good Olive Garden manager would have brought you bread sticks. smileys with beer

Years ago, I was at dinner with my girlfriend at a nice restaurant in a local mall. We finished up and left just after closing, we were the last ones there. Walked to where my car WAS parked, only to to find an empty parking space and some broken glass. Flagged down a mall cop who insisted that we must have simply misplaced the car and said he would radio his supervisor and they would scour the parking lots for a white explorer. I asked that they call the police (cell phones weren't portable then so I didn't have one) He said no and went off looking for my misplaced car. Supervisor comes by, says the same thing and tells us to wait while he looks too.

We walked back to the restaurant, knocked on the door, manager answers with "car stolen?" He invited us in, sat us at the bar, dials the police and has his bartender grab me a beer. Police show up, one cop sits at the bar with us and takes a report, other cop goes looking for the mall cops to tell them they were wasting their time... Seems that a passing ambulance had seen my car being stolen. They radio'ed it to the police (with description of suspects, make and model of the car they came in, and general direction of where they took off.)

Next thing you know, the ambulance drivers show up at the door of the restaurant as well (they had dropped their patient off at the hospital) and came by to give their statement to the police. The manager offers them dinner, they take him up on the offer... Police decline. I have a couple more beers. No charge for any of it.

The look on the mall cop supervisor's face was priceless when he came in. He knew he was going to get a lecture from the cops and he did.

We took my new car there quite often after that... Excellent service.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster