Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MBuringrud Avatar
MBuringrud Mark Buringrud
Debary, Florida, USA   USA
Good morning, I am trying to find upper steering column rebuild kit. I have read many previous posts on the subject. My "B" is 1972. I have sent a PM to Gerry Masterman a few days ago, so far I haven't heard back. Does anyone know if parts are available from anyone other than Gerry???

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Gerry Avatar
Gerry Gold Member Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, Louisiana, USA   USA
Mark, I have not received a PM from you. Gmasterman@aol.com works better than PMs

MBuringrud Avatar
Sent an e-mail

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Gerry Avatar
Email did not arrive, either.

In reply to # 3553114 by MBuringrud Sent an e-mail

MBuringrud Avatar
Not sure what the email problem is. Maybe going to spam.... anyway, I am looking for upper steering column rebuild kit for a 72 "B".

Gerry Avatar
I apologize if the following looks like advertising but other methods of passing this info on to Mark have not been successful.

Thanks for your interest in my products. At present time I have two products available.

MG-106 MGB steering column repair kit-top only. This kit replaces the poor quality original ball bearing and retainer with a custom made Derlin bushing. This kit can be installed without removing the column from the car in about an hour. This kit sells for $45 and include shipping within the mainland USA.

MG-107 MGB steering column repair kit top and bottom. This kit replaces both top and bottom bearings with Derlin bushings. The column must be removed from the car and disassembled for installation. The steering shaft must be split at the slip joint and then the slip joint repaired during the process of reassembly. Complete instruction on this process are included. This kit sells for $50 and also includes shipping within the mainland USA.

Both kits are designed to fit US spec collapsible columns in 1968 thru 1975 MGBs.

Should you be unable to install the kit yourself, I also offer a rebuilding service. In this service, your column is disassembled, de-rusted, MG-107 kit installed and slip-joint repaired. Column is then painted in hammertone black and shipped back to you within the mainland USA. Price for this service is $150.

Payment can be made either by personal check or by Paypal to Gmasterman@aol.com

Thank you for your interest.

Gerry Masterman
16195 Ole Homestead Lane
Prairieville, La 70769

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me at Gmasterman@aol.com

In reply to # 3553342 by MBuringrud Not sure what the email problem is. Maybe going to spam.... anyway, I am looking for upper steering column rebuild kit for a 72 "B".

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
No need to apologise Gerry. Unless I'm mistaken this exactly the type of "commercial" answer that Skye allows. Not only are you answering Mark directly but you're telling the rest of us what service you offer if we want to avail ourselves. My only gripe is that you don't have a kit for my '79.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CC rear attached to Ford FG ute axle. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Gerry Avatar
Barrie, what column do you have? Is it a US spec collapsible column or is it like the Brit spec non collapsible? The reason that I do not offer a RB kit is because RB columns are a bit more complicated to install and will require a small amount of machine work. Generally speaking the RB columns have a better design top bearing that the earlier CB columns. The easiest way to tell what you have is to look at the turn signal switch. Does it use the metal clip on the steering shaft to reset the switch or is the reset cam made into the switch? Can your switch be removed WITHOUT removing the steering wheel? If it can be removed it is likely a CB style column. If the switch has to pass over the end of the shaft , hence requiring the steering wheel to come off, then it is a RB style column.

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
The one below Gerry. IDK if it even needs "servicing" but while it's out etc. I serviced my '66 column during the rebuild.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CC rear attached to Ford FG ute axle. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Attachments:
column.jpg    28.8 KB
column.jpg

MBuringrud Avatar
Thanks Gerry! I sent another email as well as a paypal for the upper and lower set. I hope you receive them this time. Thanks again!!!

MBuringrud Avatar
Gerry, I am not sure were the disconnect is at... can you confirm ine way or another?

davef dave franchino
madison, WI, USA   USA
Howdy,

I just wanted to respond to this and move this thread back up top for a minute and put in a plug for Gerry and his steering column rebuild kit.

I just finished installing his kit in my B. The parts were well manufactured, the instructions were clear and easy to follow, Gerry responded immediately to a quick question I had and most importantly the kit functioned perfectly in terms of renewing what had been a very sloppy steering column. It's a brilliant design - far better than the original. His fix for the collapsing column was another bonus.

Great service and I'd highly recommend it.

Dave

Ex-Calif Avatar
Ex-Calif Gold Member Dan D
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB GT "Bart - Yellow And Naughty"
1977 MG MGB "Red Betty"
2012 Jeep Liberty "Tank"
2014 Hyundai Accent "Skate"
I'll second that. I just did mine a couple weeks ago. Gerry did an "emergency" shipment as I was off on a road trip the following Friday and I am sure Gerry got the package off within a couple hours.

Super job and the kit worked great.

The goal - Reliable summer driver interspersed with mechanical tinkering...
Motto - "Driving fifty in the twisties..."
On Mods - It's your damn car - Do what you want. Haters gonna hate...
On SUVs - Drive your B like a soccer mom is texting her friends about how she wants to kill you...
Red Betty - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHN5UH418165
Bart - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHD4U146898G

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1956 MG MGA 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links