AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

GMB3 Avatar
GMB3 George Badger
Soquel, CA, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB "1QUICK B"
I was perusing my latest issue of "Grassroots Motorsorts" and came across and ad for Fidenza flywheels. It appears they now making new lightweight billet steel flywheels. I imagine ones for MGB's will be low on their list though.

---
GEO

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

Attachments:
s-l225 (1).jpg    41.9 KB
s-l225 (1).jpg

ghnl Avatar
ghnl Eric Russell
Mebane, North Carolina, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
They already make aluminum flywheels (with a steel insert for the friction surface) for the MGA & MGB. Is there an advantage to a billet steel flywheel?

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, Nova Scotia, Canada   CAN
Choice is always good. thumbs up

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

GMB3 Avatar
GMB3 George Badger
Soquel, CA, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB "1QUICK B"
Yes, I am very familiar with their product of the past. They also make nodular steel flywheel. I went to their website and discovered they have moved up in their product offering since I last had checked Fidenza.

There is always a lot of chatter about lightening flywheels, aluminum flywheels and such so when I saw the ad I thought I would post it.

In reply to # 3551888 by ghnl They already make aluminum flywheels (with a steel insert for the friction surface) for the MGA & MGB. Is there an advantage to a billet steel flywheel?

---
GEO

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel for those who may want to see....

Attachments:
Fidanza Flywheel 01.JPG    27.1 KB
Fidanza Flywheel 01.JPG

Fidanza Flywheel 02.JPG    25.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Fidanza Flywheel 03.JPG    39.1 KB
Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
No advantage to light weight steel racing flywheel other than they are bic lighters, when they wear on the friction area, you throw them in the crap pile. Then to add with a Fidanza part number, it comes down to someone wanting to make a production run of 12, 24, or 36, and that doesn't happen, then there no stock, we have run into this many time with the 7.25" race clutch flywheels, no stock unless someone order a production. OK so at the end of day, say you could get a steel lightweight flywheel, but I still prefer, and run on my race car, and my in house engine builds, the aluminum model, because it is serviceable, the steel ones are not.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
pinkyponk Avatar
I have the Fidanza sitting here... now I need a clutch. Any recommendation for a clutch disc Hap?

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Gold Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
www.specclutch.com Many different flavors for MGB, from near-stock to full-race and many in between. They're very knowledgeable about LBC's... winking smiley

Dick

In reply to # 3552293 by pinkyponk I have the Fidanza sitting here... now I need a clutch. Any recommendation for a clutch disc Hap?

Adrian

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
SPEC Stage Two Clutch for your eyes Adrian....

Attachments:
SPEC Clutch 01.JPG    72.9 KB
SPEC Clutch 01.JPG

SPEC Clutch 02.JPG    71.8 KB
Speedracer Avatar
Adrian , the Spec is good and as mentioned comes in many flavors, I had three puck in the race car at one time. Then on other hand I did some horsetrading, and now in the car have the HD pressure plate and the Exedy HD disc, both came from BPNW, and the car is as fast as ever, and the clutch is holding up well as it did with the Spec set up. From what I gather, the HD pressure plate is the same part no matter who you get it from, including Spec, the disc however vary in styles. Here's a link to the info/pic the Exedy HD disc I am using now, damn good clutch disc for the money. https://www.bpnorthwest.com/mg/mgb/clutch-components/clutch-disc-heavy-duty-mgb.html

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
pinkyponk Avatar
Thanks Hap. The disc is on sale at BPNW but the plate is out of stock. I'll give them a call and see if I can get a back order and ship both at once. The shipping is probably the same for both as it is for one.

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
You dont need a spec disc on a street mgb
It's service life isn't as long. Even with your blown engine

Want extra life, more friction area,better grip ?

TR7 5speed disc

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

pinkyponk Avatar
What is the difference between the 4 speed and the 5 speed clutch Rob? Is the center the same? There are 4 speed discs on Ebay that say they are 4 speed 8.5".

I've read that the larger surface area being clamped by the same pressure plate results in less psi on the larger disc. It makes you wonder how it was measured. The clamping force I mean.

Adrian

Speedracer Avatar
Rob, where do you get this crap????? Spec makes all kinds of disc with several friction material offerings, and they last as long as anything else when you choose the right material for the application. The big deal with the HD Disc, whichever one you choose it is made stronger in the center section, so it does not rip apart. I can't tell you how many ripped centers I saw in old clutch disc when taking apart an old engine core, but it has been many.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Gold Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
You have no idea what you're talking about, and I guarantee you've never installed a Spec clutch. So quit blathering and confusing folks here on the forum who are sincerely trying to learn something. Instead, let them learn something from folks who have actually used products, on the street and on the track, and then let folks form their own conclusion based on the information available and the credibility of the person posting.

You don't know anything about a Spec clutch setup, you have no idea as to the technical features of their discs and pressure plates, nor to their longevity, pedal pressure, quality of engagement, etc.

So just keep rattling on about a TR-7 clutch disc and the fact that its friction surface is marginally larger than that of a stock MGB clutch disc, and you might even choose to note that this Triumph clutch disc necessarily experiences lower unit pressure on the friction surface so folks who understand science instead of opinion can assess and choose accordingly...

Dick

In reply to # 3553343 by ohlord You dont need a spec disc on a street mgb
It's service life isn't as long.

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster