Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

blista1989 Alistair S
Bristol, Bristol, UK   GBR
1972 MG MGB GT "Blue Steel"
Today I will be replacing all of my radiator cooling hoses and the breather hoses. In the very near future I'll aim to do the fuel and brake hoses as well.
Also on the list for today is fitting wheel arch protection (currently it doesn't even have baffle plates), replacing the washer motor and giving it a damn good clean.

Thanks again for the advice.

Alistair

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
theycallhimart Avatar
theycallhimart Arthur Taylor
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
HS Carbs with crankcase breathers did exists. I've seen them with my own eyes on a 71 or 72 B. Of course, this being Canada, not sure if that combo did exist in the states bound Bs.

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
"All mine go through a PCV valve on the manifold. Are these from a specific year or a UK item?"

An alternative to #20 which goes from separator to PCV. I assumed they were on whichever year(s) NA cars too as they've been discussed in the past but I didn't search.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CC rear attached to Ford FG ute axle. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
hose1.jpg    9.2 KB
hose1.jpg

oshawaMGguy Avatar
oshawaMGguy Greg Wright
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Ditto on replacing fuel line hoses, if not all hoses as a precautionary measure. I just had to replace the needles and seats in my HIF4 carbs as gas was leaking through the carbs and not getting to the engine. I still had problems after replacing them. At the suggestion of others here in the forums I replaced the fuel line hoses (they can break down and send bits of rubber to the carburetors.) After replacing them all seems good.

1974 1/2 Blaze Red MGB, member of the British Saloon Car Club of Canada (EastEnders Chapter)

blista1989 Alistair S
Success! Replaced the breather hoses! Took all of 3 minutes in the end. I also managed to replace the top and bottom coolant hoses, replace the broken washer motor and start fitting the wheel arch proection. The worst part was definitely jacking the car, it always makes me nervous.

Thanks again all for the help. Also Bristol Moss has a physical shop with some very knowledgeable staff who helped to make sure I picked up the correct parts.

Cheers
Alistair

Attachments:
20170716_191948.jpg    65.3 KB
20170716_191948.jpg

Noble66 Avatar
Noble66 Gold Member Noble Bradford
Orlando, Florida, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB "Black Betty"
1969 MG MGC GT
1974 MG MGB "Whitey"
Looking closely at this picture I noticed the carbs are HS6s not HS4s. The float bowls are at an incorrect angle and the spacers look to be aluminum.

Definitely not a stock set up.

blista1989 Alistair S
The engine is bored out to 1950cc. Would the change in carbs be part of this mod?

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3553479 by Noble66 Looking closely at this picture I noticed the carbs are HS6s not HS4s. The float bowls are at an incorrect angle

Noble,
You know there is so many susceptible owners on this site I chose to not mention this earlier on. winking smiley

Yes these are HS6 carburetors. Fortunately all SU HS float chambers are the same, and fitted to 2, 4 & 6 size carburetors.
The owner can source float chamber adapters from Burlen to make these sit at the correct orientation/angle. A straight forward thing to do. With the OP being in the UK this is a simple phone call away. cool smiley

We cannot see the rear carburetor float chamber but it may be right?

B

Check your ego Amigo!

blista1989 Alistair S
Bruce and Noble,

I appreciate the input. I've only had the car a couple of months and it came with virtually no history so whatever an experienced eye can divulge is incredibly useful.

What's the downside to having the floats at the wrong angle?

Thanks
Alistair

Noble66 Avatar
1969 MG MGC GT
1974 MG MGB "Whitey"
In reply to # 3553486 by blista1989 The engine is bored out to 1950cc. Would the change in carbs be part of this mod?

Likely that was the idea. You'll get argument over whether it's a good idea. You still need to get the proper spacers to level the float bowls. There's a little spacer that goes between the float bowl and the carb body that changes the angle. Switching them from one carb to the other might do the trick for a quick fix. The proper ones are for sale from various vendors.

riley1489 Avatar
1953 Jaguar XK120
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3553499 by blista1989 What's the downside to having the floats at the wrong angle?

The fuel in the float chamber is like any other liquid and ultimately should sit level in its container. The fuel being level will make the float/fuel shut off valve function efficiently. Think toilet tank or the like. winking smiley

B

Check your ego Amigo!

Noble66 Avatar
1969 MG MGC GT
1974 MG MGB "Whitey"
Bruce,
In my experience I have found the bowls are the same but the lids vary depending on application. The inlet and outlet pipes are pointing in different directions on my HS6s (MGC) than on my HS4s MGB). The lids still fit but the hoses have to be rerouted.

Alistair,
Fuel starvation is the main reason for leveling your float bowls. But there's also leaking lids and more chance of overflow.

MGBUK Avatar
MGBUK David C
Chesham, Bucks, UK   GBR
1980 MG MGB GT "JAM"
Hi Alistair,

you can actually run those breather pipes off to an oil catch tank if you want? all the pipes are doing is sending crankcase oil vapour to the carbs to be burnt off, you can catch it instead, who knows longevity of plugs / innards or maybe even re-use the oil if you catch a lot of it smiling smiley

i fitted a catch tank in the corner on the inner wing by the rad and loop the breather hose to the catch tank and then to the carbs.

hth

riley1489 Avatar
1953 Jaguar XK120
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3553561 by Noble66 Bruce,
In my experience I have found the bowls are the same but the lids vary depending on application. The inlet and outlet pipes are pointing in different directions on my HS6s (MGC) than on my HS4s MGB). The lids still fit but the hoses have to be rerouted.

Noble,
One never knows what level of detail to provide in a given thread, confusion will take place. For example this thread pertains to hoses .................... grinning smiley

Yes I am fully aware that these lids differ for HS models. I have worked on many SU types, and have met many differences with these HS types. The lids are numerous (below) as is the chamber adapter (below).

As I stated earlier, the OP should not have any issue sorting his float chamber mounting angle.

B

info source courtesy of SU reference catalogue 7th edition

Check your ego Amigo!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-17 10:59 AM by riley1489.

Attachments:
BH_HS lids.JPG    74.6 KB
BH_HS lids.JPG

BH_chamber adapt.JPG    81 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
riley1489 Avatar
1953 Jaguar XK120
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3553572 by MGBUK Hi Alistair,
you can actually run those breather pipes off to an oil catch tank if you want? all the pipes are doing is sending crankcase oil vapour to the carbs to be burnt off, you can catch it instead, who knows longevity of plugs / innards or maybe even re-use the oil if you catch a lot of it smiling smiley
i fitted a catch tank in the corner on the inner wing by the rad and loop the breather hose to the catch tank and then to the carbs.

The MGB engine design has been sending crankcase gases to the intake since 1963.
There is a built in "oil catch tank " in the front tappet gallery cover. No worries about blow by affecting "longevity of plugs / innards " .

B

Check your ego Amigo!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster