AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

What are these hoses?
  This topic is about my 1972 MG MGB GT
blista1989 Alistair S
Bristol, Bristol, UK   GBR
1972 MG MGB GT "Blue Steel"
Hello all,

I'm sure this is a really obvious question but in the photo attached I've highlighted a set of hoses to the carburetors in red. There is one to each carb with a Y-piece connecting them. Could anyone advise on what they are and how to go about replacing them?

My top radiator hose developed a leak last weekend, cue lots of steam, a frantic trip trip to Halfords and some top quality taping! I've decided to replace any hoses that are looking beyond their best and the outer rubber of these hoses is beginning to split and in some places fall away to reveal the braided interior.

Thanks!
Alistair

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Hoses.jpg    72.5 KB
Hoses.jpg

dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Gold Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
Crankcase ventilation hoses, routed from the front tappet covers to each of the carbs. Y connector and hoses available from Moss US...

Dick

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

1cooldad Avatar
1cooldad Silver Member Brian M'Cardell
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1969 MG MGB "Amelia"
X2.

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=28992 Looks like #49 to 52.

MG Car Club of Toronto.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CederholmC Avatar
CederholmC Gold Member Carl E. Cederholm
BROOKLYN, NY, USA   USA
1953 Chevrolet Bel Air "The Sled"
1969 MG MGB GT "Supercharged"
1972 MG MGB "Brooklyn B"
1981 Toyota Land Cruiser
They take blow-by exhaust from within the engine block to the carbs to re-burn. It's part of your emission set up. Should you develop a crack in the hose you would introduce a vacuum leak and the car would run poorly.

~ Carl

1972 MGB roadster - 30 over, fast road cam, full peco exhaust, Jeff S. rebuilt 45D Eurospec, Jimmy H. rebuilt HIF4s prestige interior, hood and tonneau cover, Dayton 72 spoke chrome wires, custom center console

1969 MGB GT - Eaton M-45 supercharger, TT stainless exhaust, Jeff S re-curved 25D

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
confused smiley

The chap is in the UK.

Alistair,
Below is what this all looks like,

try here

https://www.mgpartsuk.co.uk/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=330_343_366

B

Check your ego Amigo!

Attachments:
BH_crankbreath.JPG    44.9 KB
BH_crankbreath.JPG

ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
I use fuel line hose and have had no problems Available from any parts store, by the meter / foot. The longer hoses are 1/4" and the short one 1/2" IIRC.

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

blista1989 Alistair S
Bristol, Bristol, UK   GBR
1972 MG MGB GT "Blue Steel"
That's brilliant, thank you all!
I'm glad it's not the fuel hoses or similar, I was a bit worried I'd find a flammable puddle under the car in the not too distant future.

Thank again,
Alistair

ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
Actually, whilst you're at it replace the fuel lines too. I had one go recently.

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

ClayJ Avatar
ClayJ Silver Member Clay Johnston
Mt. Olive, MS, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB
And don't forget the fuel line(s) around the pump in front of the RR tire.

Jammy James Carpenter
Sydney, NSW, Australia   AUS
I'd check the fuel lines on the bottom of the carbs too if you have them (the ones that go from I think the float bowl to the jets) - I had one crack and the car ran like a dog until it was replaced!

Ex-Calif Avatar
Ex-Calif Gold Member Dan D
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB GT "Bart - Yellow And Naughty"
1977 MG MGB "Red Betty"
2012 Jeep Liberty "Tank"
2014 Hyundai Accent "Skate"
Based on your description of other hoses maybe being dodgy I wold replace everything rubber including cooling hoses. And if it's been a while I'd flush and fill the radiator and install a new thermostat and cap while I am there.

Different hoses are gonna wear out at different times. Now that one has gone the next weakest link is just waiting its time. Then the next etc...

It annoys the hell outta me to chase one failure a week/month when I should be driving the car and having fun. When one goes bad indict all his cronies and convict them all for "conspiracy to Eff up my fun." Senteced to death and replacement.

Costs the state <$100 to eradicate this blight on the MG community - LOL...

In reply to # 3551319 by blista1989 That's brilliant, thank you all!
I'm glad it's not the fuel hoses or similar, I was a bit worried I'd find a flammable puddle under the car in the not too distant future.

Thank again,
Alistair

The goal - Reliable summer driver interspersed with mechanical tinkering...
Motto - "Driving fifty in the twisties..."
On Mods - It's your damn car - Do what you want. Haters gonna hate...
On SUVs - Drive your B like a soccer mom is texting her friends about how she wants to kill you...
Red Betty - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHN5UH418165
Bart - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHD4U146898G

CederholmC Avatar
CederholmC Gold Member Carl E. Cederholm
BROOKLYN, NY, USA   USA
1953 Chevrolet Bel Air "The Sled"
1969 MG MGB GT "Supercharged"
1972 MG MGB "Brooklyn B"
1981 Toyota Land Cruiser
I'm not an alarmist, but replacing rubber parts is pretty cheap insurance.

~ Carl

In reply to # 3551590 by Ex-Calif Based on your description of other hoses maybe being dodgy I wold replace everything rubber including cooling hoses. And if it's been a while I'd flush and fill the radiator and install a new thermostat and cap while I am there.

Different hoses are gonna wear out at different times. Now that one has gone the next weakest link is just waiting its time. Then the next etc...

It annoys the hell outta me to chase one failure a week/month when I should be driving the car and having fun. When one goes bad indict all his cronies and convict them all for "conspiracy to Eff up my fun." Senteced to death and replacement.

Costs the state <$100 to eradicate this blight on the MG community - LOL...

In reply to # 3551319 by blista1989 That's brilliant, thank you all!

Thank again,
Alistair

1972 MGB roadster - 30 over, fast road cam, full peco exhaust, Jeff S. rebuilt 45D Eurospec, Jimmy H. rebuilt HIF4s prestige interior, hood and tonneau cover, Dayton 72 spoke chrome wires, custom center console

1969 MGB GT - Eaton M-45 supercharger, TT stainless exhaust, Jeff S re-curved 25D

spikemichael Avatar
spikemichael Michael Caputo
Ocean Shores, WA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Freebie"
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB "Spike"
1979 MG MGB "MegaBeanie"    & more
welcome to the asylum!

Michael J. Caputo
'79 RBB and '73 CBB owner with extensive experience in 12v Audio System design and installation.
Vendor of Regalia and Promotional Products. Forum Member with a warped sense of humor.

DrewM Avatar
DrewM Silver Member Drew Maddock
74 MGB roadster, Southern California, USA   USA
Alistair,

For future detective work on your car, you might use either the Moss Motors paper catalogue which you can get sent to you at not charge, or use their website diagrams. Makes good bedtime reading.

Drew Maddock, So. Calif. USofA

Noble66 Avatar
Noble66 Gold Member Noble Bradford
Orlando, Florida, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB "Black Betty"
1969 MG MGC GT
1974 MG MGB "Whitey"
I noticed these are HS carbs. None of the ones I have (I just checked) or have seen have the ports for the crank case breather. All mine go through a PCV valve on the manifold. Are these from a specific year or a UK item?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-14 08:53 PM by Noble66.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster