72 mgb Wiper switch no power source

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mister Mitch Mitch Roe
Phoenix, Arizona, USA   USA
72 B.....the wipers do not work so i removed the column switch and checked to see if iI had a hot wire...no joy....so I am trying to find why I have no power and thus the source of power....and wire color.....

So...where does wiper switch get its power.......so I can check it.....

No power at wiper switch????

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Gold Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
Looks to be different wiring for early/late 72. Here's a link to the wiring schematics. Choose your weapon... grinning smiley

http://www.advanceautowire.com/mgb.pdf

Dick

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

Mister Mitch Mitch Roe
Thanks for the wiring diagram....LOOKS LIKE HOT IS RUN TO THE WIPER MOTOR....the the wiper switch grounds the circuit to complete the circuit...out to the garage to the B...why do I not believe...I DO NOT BELIEVE IT

Mitch

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Mister Mitch Mitch Roe
Told you so...grounding any of the wires at the switch should run the wiper motor...NOT SO...no joy motor does not run...told you I did not believe it....still need help

Mitch

ps...I will pull the wiper motor and check for a hot wire...

Mister Mitch Mitch Roe
OK..OK....I ran a hot jumper wire to the green wire at the wiper switch with the wiper switch on and the wipers worked....so I now need to know where is the FUSE located on the green wire.....the diagram shows a FUSE ...and this fuse is not part of the 4 fuses on the passenger fender....QUESTION...where is this fuse located...

Mitch

Wray Avatar
Wray Gold Member Wray Lemke
., South Carolina, USA   USA
Mitch, that fuse is in a separate in-line fuse holder under the fuse block that holds the four fuses. Should have a white/green in one end and a green (or green/pink) coming out the other end.

Mister Mitch Mitch Roe
Wray,

Thank you...though I can not find it.....YET....it seems DON....who you drew the diagram is having the same issue today....further I connected a hot jumper to the green/pink and the wiper work JUST AS THEY SHOULD...thus I have to find the fuse or the billet that is bad....

Wish me luck

Mitch

Mister Mitch Mitch Roe
Wray et all,

I found the fuse...it is where you said it was....I first checked and it was OK...then disregarded as the fuse holder is after market....but then went back tested and jumpered it.....so the problem...like Dons has to lie in a billet connector....thus I will clean them...as in the ones I can find....if this does not get power to the green wire at the stalk...or wiper switch then I will run my own fused wire.....because, this seems to be the only electrical issue

again...thanks

Mitch

Wray Avatar
Mitch, here is a good pic pulled from a post by Brian Leary a while back. The two in-line fuse holders are the white ones under the fuse block. The wiper fuse is the one with the white/green and green/pink (green).

Attachments:
Fuse Box (2).JPG    45.3 KB
Fuse Box (2).JPG

Wray Avatar
Mitch, good find. The problem is almost never with the bullet connectors, it is usually with the snap connectors that join the bullets. But, in this case you have to trace the power, since there aren't any bullet/snaps between the fuse and the switch connector itself. Was there voltage at the fuse?

Mister Mitch Mitch Roe
Wray,

Yes there is full voltage at the connector....and it is the same connector. as in the pic....this '72 B though...only has one connector....or in line fuse connector....does not have 2....

Well.....I will check continuity.....getting skeptical again....this is a desert car...though anything can happen....very unlikely a wire failed...very...

OHH....I need a definition of a snap connector?????

Mitch

Wray Avatar
A snap is the rubber covered barrel that joins two bullets.

I have a problem with the Blaze GT's wiper. The connection at the column, where the main harness connects to the wiper switch is intermittent. I can wiggle it and make the wipers work on low speed but I need to bust a move and pull the switch out, clean the switch itself and clean the harness connection point.

Mister Mitch Mitch Roe
Wray,

thanks for the definition.....

I will check the "plug' connection...plus a good spot for continuity check..

Mitch...

so cool getting it done...

Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
My guess is 1972 was a kind of changing year when it comes to floating fuse locations and stalkswitch configurations for the type of connector being used. eye rolling smiley It is the reason I used the 1971/1972 Bentley diagram, coming closest to my early 1972 production Tourer. But it shows only ONE floating fuse in this circuit, not the one to the heater fan switch I now detected having as well confused smiley

Not added in these other posts of mine: the floating fuse underneath the fuse box is in my case NOT for the wiper feed, I had it failing once and it only influenced the gauges and its lights

My extra one is deeply hidden behind the dash and the radioconsole as described elsewhere. The larger floating fuse holder in my G/GK feed circuit, sits just behind the glovebox and is only barely reachable from underneath if the speaker panel at the right is taken out. I take it this is the one shown in the Bentley diagram nr 12, connected to the ignition switch sitting on the left eye rolling smiley

Mister Mitch Mitch Roe
Don,

Thanks...I am now going to try and find these "floating" fuses that are under the dash and behind the glovebox.....

I did check continuity from the switch to the floating fuse under the fuse box....

Mitch

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-05 03:59 PM by Mister Mitch.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster