AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

davidSim Avatar
davidSim David Simmons
San Pedro, California, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
Is non uniform trunk line unusual in 73 mgb. Seller stating doesn't leak and that they have seen this often, but my concern is has there been an accident. Any thoughts?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dipstick Avatar
dipstick Kenny Snyder
La Center, Washington, USA   USA
1941 Ford N-Series
1958 MG MGA 1500 Coupe "Rosie"
1970 MG MGB GT "Pat's GT"
1971 MG MGB "Gifted To Me"    & more
"Is non uniform trunk line unusual in 73 mgb."

No, something is bent, twisted, or out of position.

FWIW, I grew up in San Pedro, 3631 Cabrillo top of the hill, White Point Elementary, Dana Junior High.cool smiley

Be safe out there.
Kenny

steve12955 Steve B
Massachusetts, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB "Emma"
When closed, if the trunk sits higher on the driver's side then at some point in this car's lifetime someone tried to close the trunk while the prop rod was holding it open, twisting the trunk lid or hinges.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
davidSim Avatar
davidSim David Simmons
San Pedro, California, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
That makes so much sense. No wonder I couldn't think of it. Hehe. Really, though thank you. That is consistent with the other evidence.

In reply to # 3535818 by steve12955 When closed, if the trunk sits higher on the driver's side then at some point in this car's lifetime someone tried to close the trunk while the prop rod was holding it open, twisting the trunk lid or hinges.

dr914 George Hussey
Marietta, georgia, USA   USA
This is a typical problem, most are that way unless very carefully treated. We just repaired a 42,000 mile original paint 77 with the same problem. So bad was it, that we had to remove the trunk lid, remove the rear dealer installed luggage rack, put the lid upside down on a blanket, stretch it out to relieve the hump and reweld the frame and then touch it up. THANKFULLY the bump in the exterior of the original paint came out, and all one can see now is a bit of fresh paint on part of the inner structure. NOT GOOD, but better than repainting the original paint lid! (why could they just not have stuck with the old prop rod, OR used the great GT spring system.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster