MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Springs on my HIF4 adjustment screws. Should i?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

CederholmC Avatar
CederholmC Gold Member Carl E. Cederholm
BROOKLYN, NY, USA   USA
1953 Chevrolet Bel Air "The Sled"
1969 MG MGB GT "Supercharged"
1972 MG MGB "Brooklyn B"
1981 Toyota Land Cruiser
Pulling the roadster out of mothballs and shaking off the cobwebs and she doesn't want to idle without some choke. While investigating I discover the left carb is missing the choke adjustment screw. It must have loosened and shaken free. While watching John Twist he mentions replacing the locking nut with springs. These carbs were rebuilt by Jimmy Hilton about five to seven years ago and he maintained the locking nuts. Curious what you guys think - not that I would EVER second guess Jimmy.

BTW, anyone have an extra new screw handy? Hate to place a Moss order for one screw.

~ Carl

1972 MGB roadster - 30 over, fast road cam, full peco exhaust, Jeff S. rebuilt 45D Eurospec, Jimmy H. rebuilt HIF4s prestige interior, hood and tonneau cover, Dayton 72 spoke chrome wires, custom center console

1969 MGB GT - Eaton M-45 supercharger, TT stainless exhaust, Jeff S re-curved 25D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-19 04:20 PM by CederholmC.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
garyd Avatar
garyd Gold Member Gary Dabrowski
Naugatuck, western Connecticut, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA 1500 "Long Gone"
1974 MG MGB
1975 MG MGB
1976 MG MGB
Carl;

I took John's advice a couple years ago and put springs onto the idle and choke adjustmentsof the HIF4's on both of the running cars. I do not recall where the springs were purchased from. Either Joe Curto or MacMaster-Carr. Has worked faultlessly since then. The locknuts were a PITA.

Member Services:
Maker of carb and choke brackets for MGB cars fitted with the SU HIF4 carb & later car HIF4 upgrades. Maker of the Air Filter Builder’s Kit, a compact and stylish alternative to Coopers Cans using economical, locally purchased air filter elements.
Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
X2, these locknuts drove me crazy and finding a matching small spanner was a real challenge.
All gone now with the proper (renewed) screws and springs......

RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
If you have a well stocked local hardware store, they should have the springs in stock. The screw is an odd ball size and may take a bit of work to locate. Just about every carburetor ever made used a springs, not lock nuts, to keep the adjusting screws from moving about. RAY

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CederholmC Avatar
BROOKLYN, NY, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB "Brooklyn B"
1981 Toyota Land Cruiser
Interesting! Thanks guys.

Ray, I bet I have some springs in my collection of odd and obscure things. ...but i don't have that screw. Ugh!

In reply to # 3535735 by RAY 67 TOURER If you have a well stocked local hardware store, they should have the springs in stock. The screw is an odd ball size and may take a bit of work to locate. Just about every carburetor ever made used a springs, not lock nuts, to keep the adjusting screws from moving about. RAY

1972 MGB roadster - 30 over, fast road cam, full peco exhaust, Jeff S. rebuilt 45D Eurospec, Jimmy H. rebuilt HIF4s prestige interior, hood and tonneau cover, Dayton 72 spoke chrome wires, custom center console

1969 MGB GT - Eaton M-45 supercharger, TT stainless exhaust, Jeff S re-curved 25D

RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
Carl, that screw is a British thread of some sort. Not Metric and not SAE. I'd be tempted to rethread the carburetor and fit a small SAE bolt. RAY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-19 04:02 PM by RAY 67 TOURER.

mgbtf Avatar
mgbtf Silver Member Dave Kalp
Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT
1980 MG MGB
Several years ago I attended one of John Twist's February seminars. He recommended to replace the little nuts with springs. I purchased the springs from UML an have not had any issues at all. Well worth the small cost.

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3535766 by CederholmC Ray, I bet I have some springs in my collection of odd and obscure things. ...but i don't have that screw. Ugh!

Carl,
Relax take a deep breath and don't go re threading anything. eye popping smiley

I can help you out with a new screw & spring. Do you want/need hex head or round head screw, WZX981 and WZX983 respectively. They both use the same spring.

FWIW on HIF I rebuild, (who is John Swift?) I replace the nut on the idle screw with a spring but leave the fast idle screw with a nut.

Let me know

B

Check your ego Amigo!

Attachments:
AUD550-link.jpg    48.8 KB
AUD550-link.jpg

CederholmC Avatar
BROOKLYN, NY, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB "Brooklyn B"
1981 Toyota Land Cruiser
John Twist!!!! (not Swift - I'm such a moron.) lol

Let me check my spring supply and get back to you.

Thanks!
Carl

In reply to # 3535786 by riley1489
In reply to # 3535766 by CederholmC Ray, I bet I have some springs in my collection of odd and obscure things. ...but i don't have that screw. Ugh!

Carl,
Relax take a deep breath and don't go re threading anything. eye popping smiley

I can help you out with a new screw & spring. Do you want/need hex head or round head screw, WZX981 and WZX983 respectively. They both use the same spring.

FWIW on HIF I rebuild, (who is John Swift?) I replace the nut on the idle screw with a spring but leave the fast idle screw with a nut.

Let me know

B

riley1489 Avatar
1953 Jaguar XK120
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3535794 by CederholmC Let me check my spring supply and get back to you.

No worries, but I did suggest to relax. grinning smiley

The screw & spring is a kit. If you need a screw then the spring comes with it. winking smiley Your choice hex or round.

Let me know

B

Check your ego Amigo!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-19 04:29 PM by riley1489.

Attachments:
BH_wzx981.jpg    38.4 KB
BH_wzx981.jpg

CederholmC Avatar
BROOKLYN, NY, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB "Brooklyn B"
1981 Toyota Land Cruiser
Come on, I'm in NYC we don't know the meaning of "relax" grinning smiley

That's groovy kit and I like you idea of keeping the nuts the fast-idle circuit. Sending an IM your way.

~ Carl

In reply to # 3535809 by riley1489
In reply to # 3535794 by CederholmC Let me check my spring supply and get back to you.

No worries, but I did suggest to relax. grinning smiley

The screw & spring is a kit. If you need a screw then the spring comes with it. winking smiley Your choice hex or round.

Let me know

B

riley1489 Avatar
1953 Jaguar XK120
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3535815 by CederholmC Come on, I'm in NYC we don't know the meaning of "relax" grinning smiley

That's groovy kit and I like you idea of keeping the nuts the fast-idle circuit. Sending an IM your way.

Good one. smileys with beer

The "groovy kit " is Burlen doing not me.

IM back at ya!

B

Check your ego Amigo!

2150john Avatar
2150john Silver Member John L
Nolensville, Tennessee, USA   USA
Springs, and wonder why anyone ever used lock nuts to begin with. Only carbs I have ever seen with lock nuts.

2150john Avatar
2150john Silver Member John L
Nolensville, Tennessee, USA   USA
Springs, and wonder why anyone ever used lock nuts to begin with.

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
I have springs on a couple sets of HIFs and screws and nuts on others. I only use screws on the idle adjustment. I believe the extent of frustration with screws and nuts is a function of how often you 'futz' with them. Maybe MGB/SU decided on screws and nuts to discourage constant/frequent tweaking. Tune it and leave it alone.

I find an old ignition wrench set provides a means of fitting the British Standard nuts and bolt heads.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster