AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Lotus Avatar
Lotus Roy Hodgson
Villeneuve, VD, Switzerland   CHE
1974 MG MGB "Butterscotch"
My door sill rubber and foot mats are looking a bit tired (after 43 years) but are still in good condition. Can anyone recommend a good (black) rubber paint that will freshen them up? As they get a lot of wear, it would need to be pretty hard wearing and, as I am in Switzerland, something that is universally available. I am not sure if they can ship rattle cans through the post so a brush on could be considered.

Roy

The truth is mightier than the tweet

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
No experience, but what about gloss tyre black?

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

BH Davis Avatar
Thompson, CT, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
Have you given the vinyl/rubber conditioners a try? Companies like Maguiars and Armor all make lots of products for specific applications like this.
BH

dr914 George Hussey
Marietta, georgia, USA   USA
We have scrubbed a lot of rubber pieces with Simple Green, with great results

kenfifer Avatar
kenfifer Silver Member Ken S
Cairns, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1975 MG MGB "Vera"
How about boot polish

dipstick Avatar
dipstick Kenny Snyder
La Center, Washington, USA   USA
1941 Ford N-Series
1958 MG MGA 1500 Coupe "Rosie"
1970 MG MGB GT "Pat's GT"
1971 MG MGB "Gifted To Me"    & more
Black leather shoe/boot dye, not polish. Generally it comes in a plastic bottle with a sponge dispenser on top. Dries quickly a dull finish and does not rub off.

Be safe out there.
Kenny

Attachments:
13994825.jpg    27.3 KB
13994825.jpg

dawvid Avatar
dawvid David B
Sharon, Massachusetts, USA   USA
I've tried this on vinyl with excellent results:

boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits, 1 part oil to about 4 parts thinner. Takes about a day to dry. Don't use raw linseed oil.

The silicone based stuff never dries and is a dirt magnet.

David

74 Damask Red BGT
Davesmg@outlook.com

Lotus Avatar
Lotus Roy Hodgson
Villeneuve, VD, Switzerland   CHE
1974 MG MGB "Butterscotch"
Thanks for all the suggestions. I like the idea of the shoe leather dye, easy and cheap to get but will I have to drive in my patent leather dancing shoes in case it rubs off? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

The truth is mightier than the tweet

bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Raunds, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
When I first suggested shoe dye people on this forum laughed , I see its catching on now and it don't rub off Roy, think about it, it don't rub off your shoes dous it,
I gave my vinyl roof a new coat a few days ago and now it looks new again for another six months, just to help it out I always go over the shoe dye with a coat of back to black silicon spray and I use the same procedure on the rubber bumpers as well smileys with beer

Idasix Avatar
Idasix Dave - Lauretta Smailes
Washington State, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB "Red Rider"
Marc2 Avatar
Marc2 Gold Member Mark Hoefle
Richardson, TX, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB "Green Machine"
I tried a few products, and came across Armour-all Outlast. Best stuff I've found. Have a Honda Element with the black plastic fenders. They were almost gray from years in the hot Texas sun. Outlast brought back the black like new, and so far has lasted three years without a re-coat. Just rub it in like hand lotion.

pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, Nova Scotia, Canada   CAN
I painted mine with Duplicolor vinyl paint. Flat black spray over OEM type red floor mats that I got from Moss Europe. They have a tiny bit of red showing through now after a few years use, but a quick squirt will make them look new.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

Ahmed Avatar
Ahmed Ahmed EL Abasiry
Chestermere, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1958 MG MGA
1972 MG MGB
1979 MG MGB
I have tried 3M Marine Vinyl Conditioner and Restorer(09023), which works on rubber too. I used it to restore rubber grommets, door seals, etc and came out great every time.
3M products are usually available world-wide, considering you're in Switzerland.

"... the motor car, after woman, is the most fragile and capricious thing on earth." - London Daily Mail 1908

Fairfield, CA, USA   USA
I have used what its called "rubber bumper paint" from any auto parts store. And it works well enough for me.

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed

Bruce Cunha Avatar
placerville, California, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
1979 Triumph 1500 ~ For Sale ! ~
1986 Honda Street
Rubber bumper paint works well. I use SEM. (unsure if this would be available in your part of the world) It has a primer that you spray on prior and then apply the paint. The primer is needed to prep the rubber so the paint adhears better. As for if it would work on rubber mats, I can;t see why not.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/Automotive-Paint/SEM-Products/?gclid=CjwKCAjwsqjKBRBtEiwAkWyN35z2kQuiYgrErGT40_NpzN9j9u9h6szsiF9cqEEfjZgvGG11r5hBaBoCgLsQAvD_BwE

Bruce E. Cunha

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1956 MG MGA 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links