MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Losing all hope...Windcsreen seal to body!

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MG Cruiser Avatar
MG Cruiser Gold Member Keith Delta4
Rockingham, WA, Australia   AUS
1970 MG MGB "Moneypit"
A whole day trying to get the windscreen to body seal onto the bottom piece of frame.
I have tried soapy water, oil, silicone grease and white lithium grease. I get as far as about 9 inches past the centre and no more. This morning there was three of us trying to get the seal in place to no avail. I have looked in the library and numerous posts to try to get an answer. Someone must have an easier less time consuming method...please share! Keith

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
Simon Austin Avatar
Other than patience, there really is no easy method. Don't use a petroleum-based lubricant. Rubber doesn't play well with oils.

The last couple of seals I've installed I've used K-Y Jelly.....seriously....

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

the omega man Avatar
the omega man phil wilkins
staffordshire, Stafford, UK   GBR
Keith, this is a bit of what mark Evans - an MG is born, had to say about it.

Attachments:
IMG_20170619_092148.jpg    104.3 KB
IMG_20170619_092148.jpg

IMG_20170619_092229.jpg    114.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Peter-Sherman Avatar
Peter-Sherman Peter Sherman
Melbourne, Australia   AUS
John twist had a video about this. His windscreen installing guy used a hook to press the rubber into the grove. There was no sliding. You could make your own easily enough, but can also buy them
http://www.ozautomoulds.com.au/c/42/autoglazing-various-tools

That's the way I'm going to do it next time. Yes I slide it on previously but I don't treasure the memory.

Peter-Sherman Avatar
found it

MG Cruiser Avatar
MG Cruiser Gold Member Keith Delta4
Rockingham, WA, Australia   AUS
1970 MG MGB "Moneypit"
Thanks for the help. I will try tomorrow to put the windscreen together and try the John Twist way. The new tool may be here before I have the screen assembled..LOL. Keith

billymgb1000 Avatar
billymgb1000 Silver Member william gaulin
harrisville, harrisville RI, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB V8 Conversion "Sweet Thing"
Keith, I watched that video and had my seal on in 25 mins just going slow and easy. its hard to see just what he is doing but start in the middle and you put the seal in the bottom of the channel first then with the back side of the hook (it's a o ring puller) or you can use a very dull wide flat screwdriver push it into the top of channel. once you get it started you will not have a problem.

Stonesmith Avatar
Stonesmith Silver Member Matt Stonesmith
Louisville, Colorado, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
Well, I am not as smart as John Twist. I used the brute force method and a lot of KY Jelly. It was a real effort.

Once the seal was 70% installed, things got more difficult. I found that I could push the seal from one end, compressing it slightly. Then move that small bit of progress along to the other end. Movements were initially 1/2" at a time but as I got closer to finish the increments became smaller.

Frustrating at first, but then I made a game of it. Eventually it was done, and a cold beer to celebrate!

Steve64B Avatar
Steve64B Steve Opitz
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
Keith,

I used silicon spray lubricant and the pull and push technique.

Insert the gasket into the channel and pull it in as far as it will go, at a certain point it will stop. Now go back to the beginning area and push some gasket into the channel, push this 'wad" of gasket in and then go back and start pushing another hand full of gasket forward.

Now that you have gasket bunched up in the channel, go back to the front and start pulling again.

Add more lube and repeat.

Simon Austin Avatar
This is bringing back some bad suppressed memories....moon

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

Nicecar Avatar
Nicecar Gary (ex "Harv") G
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
1980 MG MGB "Red On Red On Red"
There are projects that I've heard too many horror stories about here, that I prefer to pay for.
$65 US (labour) for clutch install & bleed.

4 hours @ $50 US for upcoming windshield install, that I spent a lot of time sourcing a good installer. I've heard too many horror stories, and too many of folks breaking theirs.

There are times it's smarter to pay. Installer will allow me to be present and help, but no way I want to tackle on my own.

Peter-Sherman Avatar
In reply to # 3535449 by Stonesmith Well, I am not as smart as John Twist. I used the brute force method and a lot of KY Jelly. It was a real effort.

Once the seal was 70% installed, things got more difficult. I found that I could push the seal from one end, compressing it slightly. Then move that small bit of progress along to the other end. Movements were initially 1/2" at a time but as I got closer to finish the increments became smaller.

Frustrating at first, but then I made a game of it. Eventually it was done, and a cold beer to celebrate!

Yep, me to, or similar. Took hours. I recall lying on the floor late in the evening embracing the windscreen. Gripping the heavily soaped seal with my bare feet at one end one and pulling and massaging it with my hands and elbows at the other. If anyone had videoed it, it would have gone viral. There was whiskey afterwards.

JWD Avatar
JWD Jim D.
Gig Harbor, Washington, USA   USA
I used soapy water and a flat blade screw driver. I wasn't easy but it took less than 15 mins. to install the seal. That's all it took to mount the windshield onto the car as well. I did it without any help or the use of straps or any other crazy things I've seen posted. It's easy once you figure out how to do it. Do you think MG spent more than just a few minutes installing it when they were building the car?

captray36 Avatar
captray36 Gold Member Ray Mayo
St Augustine, Florida, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB MkII "The B"
Keith,

It's essential to have a workspace where the frame can be held and accessed from both sides.
I found that PB silicone spray lubricant works best. You need 3-5 people, particularly if the frame and glass are
assembled. Otherwise, screw the frame rail to the workbench. The extra hands are required, not so much for
force, but to guide the force and the rubber in a curvilinear fashion around the arc of the railing. If you just pull on one
end the rubber will bind on the sides of the rail after maybe 9-12 inches.

Ray
PS: I could never get the JT method to work.

bencii Ben Colpitts
Mansfield, Ohio, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
Delete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-19 02:22 PM by bencii.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster