AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Ahmed Avatar
Ahmed Silver Member Ahmed EL Abasiry
Chestermere, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1958 MG MGA
1972 MG MGB
1979 MG MGB
I'd like to replace the petrified windshield washer tubing. Looking at local sources I found several choices. I am wondering if any one is preferred over another, knowing that it will be exposed to under-hood fumes, heat cycling, etc.

1- PVC
2- Polyurethane
3- Polyethylene
4- Nylon

The general description of the Nylon and Polyurethane mentions resistance to fuel and solvents. Any preference?

Cheers,

"... the motor car, after woman, is the most fragile and capricious thing on earth." - London Daily Mail 1908

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
benhutcherson Avatar
benhutcherson Gold Member Ben Hutcherson
Louisville/Frankfort, Kentucky, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
My personal inclinations would be toward LDPE(low density polyethylene, which is probably what a flexible tubing is made of) and polyamide(nylon).

Both show excellent resistance to methanol(common in many washer fluids) and gasoline. I do know that I've see HDPE bottles become brittle after several years of exposure to absolute ethanol, but you're not doing that(LDPE is fine under the same circumstances, and you're also not going to use anything near absolute ethanol).

PVC in general has VERY poor resistance to aromatics, which would make me think it's a poor choice for anything that might come into contact with gasoline. With that said, some types of Tygon tubing are PVC, and although Tygon is a brand name they make their tubing products as inert as possible(then I'll also mention that one trick I was taught in the lab for fitting Tygon in a friction-fit application where it was slightly too small was to soak the end in hexane which made it a lot more pliable until the hexane evaporated).

Polyurethane is okay, but it would be a 3rd choice to either of the above two I suggest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-19 01:06 AM by benhutcherson.

Ahmed Avatar
1958 MG MGA
1972 MG MGB
1979 MG MGB
Thanks Ben, I'll see if they carry LDPE tubing. How about Nylon tubing, any opinions on that?

"... the motor car, after woman, is the most fragile and capricious thing on earth." - London Daily Mail 1908

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
benhutcherson Avatar
1970 MG MGB
Sorry, I guess I got distracted by some of my other ramblings on PVC to say that I think nylon would be an equally suitable choice. Its chemical resistance at least for the things of concern to us(which, IMO, are methyl alcohol on the inside and gasoline on the outside) is basically equal to that of LDPE.

Ahmed Avatar
1958 MG MGA
1972 MG MGB
1979 MG MGB
Thank you Ben,
Nylon tubing is available, I guess I'll go with that.

On the other hand, we use Teflon (PTFE) tubing at work for electric insulation and abrasion protection over cables/wires. It is an excellent material and imprevious to most solvents. Alas, we don't have the right diamater for the windshield washer.

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Bowie, Maryland, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Nylon, LDPE, HDPE, PTFE, Tygon, etc will all hold up, but are stiff. Plain old nitril rubber should last another 50 years and fit on the barbs without breaking anything. Vacuum hose sold at the parts store. You had better hope your washer fluid is not so caustic to damage rubber, as it gets on your paint!

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

73BGTDC Avatar
73BGTDC Pete Murray
Washington, DC, USA   USA
Clear vinyl available at any hardware store.

Regards,

Pete

benhutcherson Avatar
1970 MG MGB
In reply to # 3535283 by tvrgeek Tygon,

Tygon makes a lot of different types of tubing, but the stuff I'm most familiar with(and that I'd say is most common in general use) is not exactly what I'd call stiff. In fact, it's far from it.

BTW, if washer fluid were "caustic" I'd be more worried about it damaging body panel. Solvating ability of a substance is quite different from it being caustic(or not).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-19 07:26 AM by benhutcherson.

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
Ahmed,
I replaced my petrified OE windscreen washer hose with Trico brand clear tubing, off the shelf at Canadian Tire. I figure if the OE lasted the 40+ years this 'new' tubing should so .................. thumbs up

On one of my other cars, (1959) I used rubber hose to match the OE type.

Don't forget to install the diverter anti drain valve/widget. winking smiley

B

Check your ego Amigo!

Attachments:
WW_detail.JPG    35.6 KB
WW_detail.JPG

Ahmed Avatar
1958 MG MGA
1972 MG MGB
1979 MG MGB
Thanks Bruce, I'll stop by CT on my way home today.
I noticed that the tubing in and out of the diverter are two different sizes. It seems the tubing from the pump to the diverter is larger than the tubing from the diverter to the washer nozzle.

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3535507 by Ahmed I noticed that the tubing in and out of the diverter are two different sizes. It seems the tubing from the pump to the diverter is larger than the tubing from the diverter to the washer nozzle.

Umm, I am sure you are correct. The tubing fits the respective male ends I guess. Pump to diverter and diverter to nozzle on scuttle. I suggest you take the bits with you to CT or the NAPA outlet.
I am not near my car to check , and my memory sucks! winking smiley

B

Check your ego Amigo!

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Bowie, Maryland, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
When did the diverter come about? My 65 just had a "T"

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

GMB3 Avatar
GMB3 George Badger
Soquel, CA, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB "1QUICK B"
Pull up your Mcmaster-Carr equivalent and purchase nalgene tubing. You'll never replace it again.

---
GEO

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster