AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Firm Avatar
Firm Zack Z
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1972 MG MGB
1977 MG MGB MkIV "44,000 Miles"
1978 MG MGB MkIV "21,000 Miles"
Trying to get a pint of Blaze Red (Orange) paint mixed up for my '72, I took all the paint codes listed on the teleglerizer page here down to my local auto body supply place (Sherwin William Dealer) and none of the codes I had would come up in their system.
Does anyone have any 'current' paint codes (not listed in the link) for Blaze Red that might work?? If not, what have you guys been doing for paint?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ingoldsb Avatar
ingoldsb Silver Member Terry Ingoldsby
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1971 MG MGB
Well, I cheated and used the 1973 colour of Vermilion. The two colours are nearly identical. I do have a modern code for vermilion if you are interested.

Terry Ingoldsby
terry.ingoldsby@DCExperts.com

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
TCP GLOBAL
THEY provide perfect match
To current tints.

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Bowie, Maryland, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
TCP paint was a terrible match for Mineral Blue. It came as Post Office Blue. My painter friend says the pigments have changed so much, most of them get it wrong. He also said it is almost impossible to get single stage pigments correct these days. I feel like it was fairly low solids. Not as thin as PPG, but not much is that bad.

Now consider this: I was at a show a number of years ago. There were two TD's side by side. Both big-buck perfect cars. One was much brighter than the other. Both owners believed theirs was right and were in a very heated argument. A gentleman behind me was snickering. Talking to him he said: " I probably painted their cars in the factory. We would open a drum of red in the morning and it was pretty bright. After lunch, it had oxidized to be much darker." Great story and crazy enough to be true.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

WESTMIC Avatar
WESTMIC Gold Member Mike W
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT Special
1970 MG MGB GT "Arthur"
1974 MG MGB "Enid"
Hi Zack,

Look for a Dupont Nason dealer as they have the correct code and the paint is good quality. it is listed as a Rover colour.

Of course, if you are attempting to touch up your exteriour, your paint will be faded. You might be better off trying to match to a shade on a pantone wheel.

Attachments:
P_20170619_074628_vHDR_Auto.jpg    36.9 KB
P_20170619_074628_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20170619_074659_vHDR_Auto.jpg    29.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IanFife Avatar
IanFife Ian F
Inverkeithing, Fife,Scotland, UK   GBR
Gipgloss Cellulose Enamel. 5 litres of BLVC 16 Blaze Orange (Blaze No 1 clean shade A&W Ref 1-28665) (for 1972 MGBGT)

I did my BGT with 5 litres of this.

MG Midget MK1 (1961)
MGBGT (1972)

Attachments:
P3100001e.jpg    59.4 KB
P3100001e.jpg

BumbleB74 Avatar
BumbleB74 William Milholen
Tidewater, Tidewater VA, USA   USA
Decent paint store should also have the paint analyzer camera...aka "gun" which can match your color with. If they don't...they aren't a real paint store!

1974-1/2 Roadster, "Bumble Bee", Corvette Yellow - in shambles, wire wheels
1976 Roadster, "Virus", Sandglow - "driver" condition (stock + 32/36 Weber DGEV, cast iron header, 25D distributor), bolt on wheels, ON the road!

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Bowie, Maryland, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Our local jobber used to have a gun. They used to have service to us hobbits. Now, OEM codes within 10 years or take a hike.

I don't think we can buy cellulose enamel in the US. At least they don't force us to use water based yet, only the larger pro shops have to.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

IanFife Avatar
IanFife Ian F
Inverkeithing, Fife,Scotland, UK   GBR
It's still possible to get cellulose paint over here but it doesn't seem to be as good as it used to be (like everything else!!!

MG Midget MK1 (1961)
MGBGT (1972)

oshawaMGguy Avatar
oshawaMGguy Greg Wright
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Rona here in Canada has spray bomb rust paint called Zesty Orange. It's almost perfect match. I've posted pics below under my bonnet, before and after.

Armor Coat also sells it in cans for sprayers or brushing. I used it on some of the interior floor. It might be more readily available in other countries.

1974 1/2 Blaze Red MGB, member of the British Saloon Car Club of Canada (EastEnders Chapter)

Attachments:
IMG_20170215_194847.jpg    45.4 KB
IMG_20170215_194847.jpg

IMG_20170321_220846.jpg    45.7 KB
HiPowerShooter Avatar
HiPowerShooter Gold Member James Booker
Oshkosh, Wisconsin, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
I'm painting my car right now(profile pic was taken yesterday after cutting in the doors/trunk/hood) and had that color matched at NAPA. Pretty close to what it was before. Don't recall what it's called but if you want the spec's I've got them. VERY nice color and will look spectacular when done. It's a base/clear paint...I believe it was a GM spec.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"--Alvin "Tex" Johnston...Boeing test pilot.

73 MGB. Tires: Round, black, hold air. Oil: Sometimes old, sometimes new...always slippery. Oil filter: Yellow, usually full of oil. Carbs: 2 SU HIF. Distributor: Yes. Headlights: Not that bright but bright enough. A bunch of other stuff most cars have but not really important enough to itemize. Oh, wait...it has a cool sounding exhaust with stickers on the chrome tips. Really slays the ladies...

Attachments:
20170619_145958.jpg    11.2 KB
20170619_145958.jpg

20170619_150148.jpg    45 KB
20170619_150034.jpg    34.1 KB
20170619_145903.jpg    33.8 KB
Firm Avatar
Firm Zack Z
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1972 MG MGB
1977 MG MGB MkIV "44,000 Miles"
1978 MG MGB MkIV "21,000 Miles"
Wow, lots of options to explore. Thanks Gents!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster