AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3535684 by tvrgeek I guess what the hose manufactures have to say in their specifications are not as significant as what experts in the forum say. Not my car. Whatever.

Scott
What does this post from you mean?

B

Check your ego Amigo!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GaryDLowrie Avatar
GaryDLowrie Silver Member Gary Lowrie
Dewey, AZ, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB GT "The Green Dream"
1974 MG MGB "Pearl"
tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Bowie, Maryland, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
It means, I believe the manufactures specifications and their opinion if their hose is suitable for use with E-10, not the forum "experts" who know everything about everything. I took the trouble to go to the manufactures WEB sites and looked at their specifications.

In reply to # 3535714 by riley1489
In reply to # 3535684 by tvrgeek I guess what the hose manufactures have to say in their specifications are not as significant as what experts in the forum say. Not my car. Whatever.

Scott
What does this post from you mean?

B

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
riley1489 Avatar
1953 Jaguar XK120
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3536409 by tvrgeek It means, I believe the manufactures specifications and their opinion if their hose is suitable for use with E-10, not the forum "experts" who know everything about everything. I took the trouble to go to the manufactures WEB sites and looked at their specifications.

Accepted and heeded. But is it that important to be 'right'?

There is a great many opinions and egos to deal with on this forum, it behooves us all to 'sift through the rubble to find the nugget'.

Keep doing what you are doing it seems to work ....................

B

Check your ego Amigo!

Ex-Calif Avatar
Ex-Calif Gold Member Dan D
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB GT "Bart - Yellow And Naughty"
1977 MG MGB "Red Betty"
2012 Jeep Liberty "Tank"
2014 Hyundai Accent "Skate"
For the pressures we deal with in the MGB fuel system braided steel is a trap that can definitely hide trouble...

Maybe useful on brake hoses with higher pressure but probably not needed there either.

The goal - Reliable summer driver interspersed with mechanical tinkering...
Motto - "Driving fifty in the twisties..."
On Mods - It's your damn car - Do what you want. Haters gonna hate...
On SUVs - Drive your B like a soccer mom is texting her friends about how she wants to kill you...
Red Betty - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHN5UH418165
Bart - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHD4U146898G

Rod H. Avatar
Amity, Oregon, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
If generic modern fuel hoses are not E10 proof, but E10 resistant, and last 10 or 15 years, I'd call that reasonable service life.

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
I don't care if anyone else thinks I am correct, I know what the manufactures said. If you don't believe me, go look yourself. Maybe one has changes their spec and we can expand the list.

Sure, 10 years is a good serviceable life for any rubber product. Never said it wasn't. All I said was the manufactures I found specs on said their hose was not recommended for E-10. Goodyear and Dayco for sure. I found it odd, E-85 seems to be less aggressive as some were rated for E-85 and not E-10. Continental and Gates Barricade were the only ones they rated for E-10. Gates is widely available and cheap, so what is the problem? I guess just proving someone else is wrong without any supporting evidence. SOP for this place.

albeegreen1 Avatar
albeegreen1 Gold Member bob tresch
bordentown, nj, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB MkIII "ALBERT"
I simply look for use on carburetor line. But it is probably the same price for higher pressure line. Take your pick. Changing over your 40+ year car is good insurance. And use a clear fuel filter like Bosch. They look dinky but can handle more pressure than your MG will ever need on the same token. "It's all in the maintenance". I agree with no braided lines around SU'S they need extra scrutiny.

riley1489 Avatar
1953 Jaguar XK120
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3536489 by tvrgeek I don't care if anyone else thinks I am correct, SOP for this place.

Scott,
Time to go to your happy place, no?

If your 'mini rant' is aimed at me you will note that I agree & also suggest the Gates hose as a good candidate. thumbs up as to the SOP of this forum, yup thumbs up and I don't see it changing any time soon. grinning smiley

B

Check your ego Amigo!

tvrgeek Avatar
1965 MG MGB
Not till the trolls turn to stone. devil smiley

HP hose not necessary, we only run about 3 and a half PSI. 30R6 is the correct pressure spec.

The fuel filter should be picked for its filtering capability. Some let through almost sand size, 80 micron or worse, some as small as 5 micron. The SU is more tolerant of crap than the DGV, but why subject it? 10 to 20 seems reasonable to me. Just like the hose subject, READ THE SPECIFICATION. The physically larger filters will have less drop and are able to load up more before reducing the flow.
For example:
Wix 33033 is a steel case, 33003 is the plastic 3/8

WIX 33032 metal, 33002 plastic, 5/16 hose 20 micron as listed for the 65 B. Under $4.

Do you have the number and spec on the Bosch? More the known suitable the better. They do not list a cross reference on their WEB.

Thermomoid by my notes also said not for E10.

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
Each to their own - I'll be using Speedflow on my GT.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CC rear attached to Ford FG ute axle. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Attachments:
200 series.jpg    50.8 KB
200 series.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 MG MGB Limited Edition LE

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links