AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

graylevison Gray L
Key West, Florida, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB
1994 Mazda MX-5
Hey guys, I've really been putting this project off due to the anticipated difficulty of the task but I plan to be driving my B much more in the near future and know the original fuel hoses weren't designed to withstand ethanol so the time has come to replace them. I was looking on Moss Motors and they sell ethanol-proof fuel lines for .29 cents per inch which sounds like a pretty good deal to me but I'm unsure exactly how long the original fuel line is and I would need to know this in order to purchase the correct length of hose...Has anyone else undertaken this chore? If so, how did you get the job done and were there any problems you encountered during or after the job? Thanks in advance!!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
ghnl Avatar
ghnl Eric Russell
Mebane, North Carolina, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
Any fuel hose you can buy now-a-days should be ethanol proof (is that a pun?).

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

JoeReed Avatar
JoeReed Gold Member Joe Reed
Cordova, Tennessee, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Kermit"
I just get mine at the local parts store. There's nothing special or unique about the MG fuel lines...

willie3051 Avatar
willie3051 William Leong
Brooklyn, NY, USA   USA
The Auto Zones and Advance Auto etc store around here don't carry the ethanol-resistant brand in the Moss catalog. They only have generic rubber hoses cut off spools or the same stuff cut to about 18 inch length in pre-packed bags. The Gates hose in the Moss catalog seems to be a steal of a price.

ddubois Avatar
ddubois Gold Member Dave DuBois
Bremerton, WA, USA   USA
I lust use generic, fuel injection spec hose on our MGB - have been for the past 10 years or more with no problem.
Cheers,

Dave DuBois
1953 MGTD
1966 MGB
http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/

Member Services:
SU fuel pump restoration and conversion to solid state. Information and technical articles on SU fuel pumps.
Rod H. Avatar
Amity, Oregon, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
In reply to # 3535230 by ddubois I lust use generic, fuel injection spec hose on our MGB - have been for the past 10 years or more with no problem.
Cheers,

Did the same on both MGs and my VW Vanagon between 10 and 15 years ago. No sign of degradation on any of the hoses, but it's probably time to do the VW again as those are the oldest and under higher pressure,

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

MGTONYGB Avatar
MGTONYGB Tony C
London Uk, UK   GBR
Some of it will be 1/4" and some of it 5/16". It's cheap enough so by a good few feet of each, cut to length the sizes you need by copying the old ones and keep the rest spare in the car for an emergency.
Just yesterday at a car show one of our guys had fuel leaking from a braided hose, removed it and the rubber had split about half way through and the rest of it was crazed . These were only about 3 months old. I don't even think this was to do with the fuel as it was the outside of the rubber once the braided was removed.
Gave him a spare piece of hose I carry and all was good. He has to now replace the other braided ones that came with the split one as it also may be useless. smiling smiley

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Bowie, Maryland, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
The ONLY line that is rated for E-10 if Gates Barricade or Continental. That's right, the Dayco or other hose commonly for sale is NOT E-10 safe. One local store actually knew that, the rest looked like a deer in the headlights. ( go read the specs. I did)
You can get Gates on the Web very inexpensively. SUPRISE! Modern cars don't use rubber hoses; they use various nylon family lines.

You can get Cu-Ni hard line on the WEB too. It is far more corrosion resistant than the galvanized steel in the car. Easier to work with than stainless and safer than copper.

As I don't have the SU pump, I don't have lines with't see a thing. Some is rated for E-85, but not E10. I do not know why the difference. You don't need high pressure hose, so don't let that spec fool you.

How long will off-the-shelf last? Some will say forever as they never looked, some have had failures within months. Anything is fine for a spares kit, but do it right!

Note: this comes up every month or so. A search of the forum sometimes helps.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

mgblestyle Avatar
mgblestyle Philip Shave
Olympia, Washington, USA   USA
Gray, looks like you have a '79. On my '80 I have 5/16" hose from tank to pump and pump to hard line, about 3.5' for that. Don't forget the vapor recovery tank in the trunk, right side, with two hoses--another 2'. in the engine compartment there is a short coupler piece from hard line to filter and another 1.5' from filter to the first coupler. From there it depends on what carburetor you have and if you use the original braided lines on the SU's or replace with the new line. So that's a minimum of 7' of hose; seems like too much but the hoses all seem longer than the look at first glance. I installed Gates green stripe and it was available at O'Reilly's, maybe Autozone too. Phil

ghnl Avatar
ghnl Eric Russell
Mebane, North Carolina, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2014/12/05/tech-101-fuel-line-hose-what-you-should-and-should-not-use/

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

sweep Avatar
sweep Gold Member Chris W
Gosford, NSW, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB "Basil"
2013 Volkswagen Tiguan
2015 Audi A3
Unless things have changed in the last two years, my understanding is that there is no such thing as Ethanol 'proof'. Ethanol resistant - yes but you still need to check them and replace on a regular basis.

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

To the intelligent person, life appears infinitely mysterious, but the stupid have an answer for everything.

Ex-Calif Avatar
Ex-Calif Gold Member Dan D
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB GT "Bart - Yellow And Naughty"
1977 MG MGB "Red Betty"
2012 Jeep Liberty "Tank"
2014 Hyundai Accent "Skate"
How long they last may be a science project but one thing for sure. Bulk hose is so cheap there is no reason to have old tubing on the car.

I replaced all hoses (fuel, vacuum & radiator) as a matter of course when I got the cars. Cheap insurance against fuel leaks and vapor leaks.

Also did all the brake & clutch flex hoses.

Heck - just bite the bullet, do it all and worry about it in 10 years or so...

The goal - Reliable summer driver interspersed with mechanical tinkering...
Motto - "Driving fifty in the twisties..."
On Mods - It's your damn car - Do what you want. Haters gonna hate...
On SUVs - Drive your B like a soccer mom is texting her friends about how she wants to kill you...
Red Betty - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHN5UH418165
Bart - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHD4U146898G

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3535180 by graylevison due to the anticipated difficulty of the task Has anyone else undertaken this chore? If so, how did you get the job done and were there any problems you encountered during or after the job?

Dan X2

As others have stated, the 2 size fuel hose needed is 1/4" & 5/16" ID. Buy new band style hose clamps (correct size used for FI) as well as the hoses, Gates brand barricade hose is a popular replacement hose.

No "difficulty of the task " or "chore" rather a basic operation requiring only a screw driver.
Simply undo a clamp at either end of hose, remove hose, cut new length from bulk length you bought and reinstall new hose and tighten the new clamps.

B

Check your ego Amigo!

albeegreen1 Avatar
albeegreen1 Gold Member bob tresch
bordentown, nj, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB MkIII "ALBERT"
I went for another 45 years and bought bulk from West Marine. thumbs up

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Bowie, Maryland, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
I guess what the hose manufactures have to say in their specifications are not as significant as what experts in the forum say. Not my car. Whatever.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster