2 gas tank drain plugs
  This topic is about my 1971 MG MGB GT
Diver648 Gold Member Warren Siringer
Tucson, Arizona, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
1967 MG MGB GT
1971 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
Removed the gas tank from the 71 GT yesterday. There is a second small drain plug at the left front lower corner. Has anyone ever seen a tank that has this? Tank does look pretty new with no rust at all on top.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
David67MGBGT Avatar
David67MGBGT David N
Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, USA   USA
I've never seen a tank with two drain plugs. I have the single plug, I believe mine is the original 67 tank. Can you post a pic of you dual drain plug tank?

Attachments:
20170619_115217.jpg    63.7 KB
20170619_115217.jpg

Simon Austin Avatar
Sounds like both plugs may be PO installed. I don't believe a '71 has a factory drain plug let alone two.

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
The drain plug as shown by David would have been on a '71 tank, as it was thru '73.

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Silver Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, Ca, USA   USA
A radiator shop I use here in Fresno, adds a second drain in one lower corner, AFTER BOILING OUT AND SEALING THE TANK. We worked out this method so that the sealing compound can be "FLOWED AROUND THE INTERIOR " of the tank without having to take a chance on 'CLOGGING" THE FACTORY INTERNAL PICK=UP TUBE FILTER. And then when turned UP on its Corner, The remainder of the sealer can drain out. If you CLOG that filter, WOOPS = TROUBLE and YES, as far as I know ALL MG Gas tanks have an internal Filter "EXCEPT" The late MGB that has it on the Pick-Up tube built into the Sending unit. 77-80 ?????? Did not look it up Cheers.

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Silver Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, Ca, USA   USA
Did not finish my post. USPS with my AMAZON Orders SOOOOOOOOOOO Picture of INTERNAL FILTER IN BUY EYE TANK. "CLOGGED" HAD TO REMOVE. Solder on another piece of tubing to make up the difference in length of the PICK -UP TUBE, add EXTERNAL fuel filter in FRONT of the Fuel Pump. CHEERS.

Attachments:
Bugeye Matson 1275 003.jpg    59.6 KB
Bugeye Matson 1275 003.jpg

Bugeye Matson 1275 004.jpg    44.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Bugeye Matson 1275 005.jpg    53.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Diver648 Gold Member Warren Siringer
Tucson, Arizona, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
1967 MG MGB GT
1971 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
The tank has the same factory one on the bottom like my 67's and 72. The car was from southern California so maybe the 2nd drain was installed by a radiator shop. Nice looking installation. On the opposite side of the tank though for an additional fuel filter and no sign of any other lines near the drain on the body. It is conveniently located for draining the tank completely though. I have enough spare fuel tanks if anyone would like it. I do have to empty it out though, it is almost 1/3 full.

Attachments:
2nd tank drain.jpg    43.5 KB
2nd tank drain.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster