AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

warekl Avatar
warekl Silver Member Keith Ware
White Bear Lake Mn, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT
1979 MG MGB
Anyone with experience know whether a good aftermarket electric puller cooling fan is more efficient cooling than the stock pair of electric pushers? I know the current draw would be less than the pair of stock fans, but they push a ton of air. I have no experience with an aftermarket puller. The reason that I ask is that I have my fans set up to come on when I park, to cool things down if the thermal switch hits 185 F .... I know that it puts extra load on the battery,but they only run a minute or two on a hot day......
Thanks

I did use Search, but everything that I found was about replacing mechanical fans.....

USMC ... Semper Fi
79 RB Lowered, HS4s by Dave Braun & "Schlemmerized" 25D Dizzy, 9.5:1 CR, Mild Performance Cam, 18V with OD Tranny.

73 GT in Black Tulip

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-18 05:10 PM by warekl.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Ex-Calif Avatar
Ex-Calif Gold Member Dan D
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB GT "Bart - Yellow And Naughty"
1977 MG MGB "Red Betty"
2012 Jeep Liberty "Tank"
2014 Hyundai Accent "Skate"
I have had no issues with the stock fans in terms of cooling. One of them wore out last year (bearing) and I changed both motors with Moss units.

I saw no reason to switch anything out.

The goal - Reliable summer driver interspersed with mechanical tinkering...
Motto - "Driving fifty in the twisties..."
On Mods - It's your damn car - Do what you want. Haters gonna hate...
On SUVs - Drive your B like a soccer mom is texting her friends about how she wants to kill you...
Red Betty - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHN5UH418165
Bart - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHD4U146898G

JNickell Avatar
JNickell Jay Nickell
Plano, Texas, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB
Keith, a modern puller fan is much more efficient in terms of air moved and power usage than the duel stock fans.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

“It ain't dying I'm talking about, it's living. I doubt it matters where you die, but it matters where you live.” Augustus McCrae

1980 MGB

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Pullers are far more efficient.
The deeper the fan the more efficient.
Shrouds make them more efficient.

Stocked worked.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Late 90's Volvo fan
Powerful single puller
$10 pic and pull yard

You really don't need it running when car shut down
The water isn't circulating like a Mercedes with auxiliary electric pump.

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Peter-Sherman Avatar
Peter-Sherman Peter Sherman
Melbourne, Australia   AUS
the newer (and much cheaper) fans come with an integral shroud which goes right on the radiator matrix, which is ideal. The factory fans just blow in the general direction of the radiator and allot of the air doesn't go through the radiator matrix; goes around, swirls about.

Paul755 Paul H
Richmond, Virginia, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB MkIII
1979 MG MGB MkIV "Nemesis"
I use this one- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T3TK3EW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. This is the 10 inch version, I think a 12 inch fan would fit the 77 - on B if the splash shield is modified. However the 10 inch fan @ 1000 CFM seems to do the job.$25 Amazon. It is exactly the same as the Hayden fan, probably the same production line. Use the Hayden on-line PDF installation instructions.

Make sure the fan is set up puller if that's what you want. Its not just reversing the voltage, the fan blade unit also has to be reversed. The last one I got from Amazon was already set as a puller.

I replaced the two original B fans with this one, it is very efficient. I used the original thermoswitch and added a relay with the fan power feed from the original 25A circuit breaker. I set the thermoswitch to switch ground to the relay coil side so that I can have a single wire to an aux cooling fan switch on my 79B dash as a fan thermoswitch over ride. The aux cooling fan switch is in parallel with the thermoswitch and grounds the relay coil. I also added a 24V TVS diode across the relay coil just to complete the over kill theme ( and possibly lengthen the thermoswitch contact life or not )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-18 11:08 PM by Paul755.

Simon Austin Avatar
I have two stock fans keeping my Rover V8 cool. Can't ask for more than that.

I've sat in traffic and watched the temp gauge rise then hear the fans come on. The temperature decreases so I know they're doing their job. No shrouding or ducting.

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

lewisrn Avatar
lewisrn Gold Member Bob L
Danville, Indiana, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "The "B"
The stock fans on my 80B do a great job of cooling, even in Key West!

They only come on when the car is moving at really slow speeds or when stopped. I can't imagine that an after-market fan would do any better.

"Bullying and prejudice in our public life sets a national tone, provides permission for cruelty and bigotry, and compromises the moral education of children." G.W.B.

It's how you react that matters. There's not a pill for maturity.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster