Lost Title

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

LucasHooter David Hannah
Granville, Ohio, USA   USA
Has anyone living in Ohio had success in getting a title for a car when the current paperwork can't be found? Here's a little background: I owned this same car in the late 60's and early 70's. It has been off the road and unlicensed since the mid-70's. The current owner, who bought it in 1997, passed away and his widow can't find the title. Strangely, the Ohio title office can't find the title, either. Fortunately, there is absolutely no question about the car's provenance; I have the BMH build sheet, the VIN tag has never been removed from the bulkhead, and the number stamped on the side of the engine block matches the build sheet. Not that the courts care about this, but it still has my fraternity decals on the windscreen and the Moto-Lita steering wheel my wife-to-be bought me for my 21st birthday! I have filed a petition with the court, following all the requirements, but am getting push-back from the magistrate (the court won't even set a date for a hearing). I know there are a few "title services" companies out there, but I am leery of taking that route. In researching this topic, it seems that this process varies greatly from state to state. Are there any Ohio attorneys on this site? Thanks!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Did you sell the car to the current owner? If so, try a title search in your name. Some people tend to forget to change the name on the title, and it may well be still in your name. I am periodically surprised by requests to sign off on a title to a car sold years and years ago.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Before 1993 the titles aren't in the data base .find a manual search

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

terryke5hwe Terry Halbert
Rogers, AR - Arkansas, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB "Money Pit!"
I found my 1979 MGB in Oklahoma with no title. It cost $100.00 in Arkansas for a bonded title!

lgorg Avatar
lgorg Larry Gorg
Renton, WA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "Robbie"
Each state has a different process. I can only tell you about Washington State's process, but knowing a bit about our process, may shed some light on your process. Here, if your car has not been licensed in the past 3 or 4 years, it is dropped from the database. No one, is going to spend the hours looking up a title or VIN on microfiche. The only way around this, is to file for a lost title, taking the car in to the Sate Patrol for a VIN check. The State Patrol looks at all your paperwork, and if it passes their muster, they stamp everything. Then you take all the paperwork back to the DMV, and you can register your car. The state keeps the title for 3 years, until the statue of limitations run out, and then they will issue you a new title. During the 3 years, someone can report the car as stolen and if that happens, I don't know how that scenario would play out.

Ex-Calif Avatar
Ex-Calif Gold Member Dan D
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB GT "Bart - Yellow And Naughty"
1977 MG MGB "Red Betty"
2012 Jeep Liberty "Tank"
2014 Hyundai Accent "Skate"
Ohio is a bit onerous compared to other states. I had "issues" titling all my out of state cars. I've also seen multiple folks at the BMV having issues over the years.

Also seems the 'bureaucrats" are not willing to apply logic or work with you. Just following orders, sir...

Good luck with it.

The goal - Reliable summer driver interspersed with mechanical tinkering...
Motto - "Driving fifty in the twisties..."
On Mods - It's your damn car - Do what you want. Haters gonna hate...
On SUVs - Drive your B like a soccer mom is texting her friends about how she wants to kill you...
Red Betty - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHN5UH418165
Bart - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHD4U146898G

andy303 Avatar
andy303 Gold Member Andrew Blackley
Chardon, Ohio, USA   USA
I have not had any problems getting a title for a car I purchased out of state. You just need someone from the local license bureau to fill out a form verifying the VIN/chassis number. I use my small town, local bureau and they are always very pleasant to work with. With the form completed I can then get a title from the county registrar.

That said I feel your pain. I had a barn find basket case with a legitimate, 40 year old style tan Ohio title but no chassis number plate and the numbers did not correspond to the original chassis number stamped onto the dumb iron. In order to get the title corrected I would have to load the rolling chassis on a trailer and cart the whole lot to the nearest Ohio State Highway Patrol inspection station, where it could have been impounded as stolen. I sold the car in the end, as it was too much of a project for me anyways. "Back in the day" things were a lot looser and there are many cases where the MG guarantee plate was mis-read and the engine number was used instead of the chassis number.

In the case at hand I would hire a local attorney who is familiar with the local magistrate. You will find that local contacts can be very helpful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-19 05:34 AM by andy303.

trialsrider Avatar
trialsrider Silver Member Richard Bussler
South Williamsport, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
Not so. Rob titles can still be found in the archives,i found this out last year.

Ryan Reis Avatar
Beatrice, NE, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB
This kind of stuff interests me because I'm a lawyer and I've never really understood why some states make it so difficult for honest car enthusiasts to title collectable and obviously non-stolen vehicles. It's so frustrating! In Nebraska I long ago decided to dismiss immediately any consideration of buying a car without a title. It's just not worth the hassle. In your case, with the connection to the car, it's a little different.

When you say you've "followed all the requirements" I assume it's something along the lines of this? http://blog.suretysolutionsllc.com/suretynews/10-steps-to-getting-an-ohio-court-ordered-title

If that's the law in Ohio and you've followed all the steps I don't see how they can refuse to grant you a hearing? Is the magistrate telling you specifically why they won't set a date? There has to be a reason.

Ryan

Ex-Calif Avatar
Ex-Calif Gold Member Dan D
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB GT "Bart - Yellow And Naughty"
1977 MG MGB "Red Betty"
2012 Jeep Liberty "Tank"
2014 Hyundai Accent "Skate"
Yet the other "weird" thing in Ohio (if I understand correctly) the seller can still be liable for the car if the buyer fails to title and register it. That's nutso...

In California you send off the notice of sale to DMV and you are done.

The goal - Reliable summer driver interspersed with mechanical tinkering...
Motto - "Driving fifty in the twisties..."
On Mods - It's your damn car - Do what you want. Haters gonna hate...
On SUVs - Drive your B like a soccer mom is texting her friends about how she wants to kill you...
Red Betty - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHN5UH418165
Bart - http://www.mgexp.com/registry/GHD4U146898G

LucasHooter David Hannah
Thanks to everyone for their replies, and here is an update. I've researched all but one of the owners of this car, dating back to 1968 (which is when I first saw it, sitting on jackstands at a repair shop having the gearbox rebuilt). I gave these five names to the helpful manager of the local title office and asked her to do a manual record search. She found nothing (keep in mind that I owned this car from 1969 through 1973). The magistrate of the Common Pleas Court is insisting that I take it to a Ohio State Highway Patrol facility 39 miles away to have the VIN verified. When checking the website for this OSHP office, I found that their purpose is to examine kit cars and salvaged vehicles. You are required to produce receipts for all the parts on the car. It's pretty clear that they are trying to prevent chop shops and ringers from obtaining titles for dubious vehicles (I applaud that effort, maybe it will slow down the thefts of Honda Civics and Escalades!)). But, my friends, here's the kicker. The car must be DRIVEN to the OSHP office. This car has been stored and off the road since the 70's (picture rotted tires, locked engine, old fuel in the gas tank, hopeless clutch and master cylinders, etc.), and, it ain't a kit car! So now, we're at an impasse with the legal system.

Remember the fact that the VIN can't be found through a manual search? There is a belief in the old car world that vehicles that are not licensed and registered are purged from the system every seven to ten years. When I ask the title office what could have happened to the title for this car with documented history, I get the "Gee, I don't know" answer. I'll let you decide!

So where do we go from here? I meet with an attorney next week. Stay tuned for more (and keep your titles in a safe spot!). Cheers.

ingoldsb Avatar
ingoldsb Silver Member Terry Ingoldsby
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1971 MG MGB
I don't see how they can expect you to drive an untitled car (for which you can't get insurance or license plates) - that would be illegal. I guess you could trailer it to the site, push it off the trailer into their parking lot for them to look at. I don't know any requirement that a vehicle has to run to have a title.

Terry Ingoldsby
terry.ingoldsby@DCExperts.com

JoeReed Avatar
JoeReed Gold Member Joe Reed
Cordova, Tennessee, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Kermit"
In reply to # 3537749 by LucasHooter Thanks to everyone for their replies, and here is an update. I've researched all but one of the owners of this car, dating back to 1968 (which is when I first saw it, sitting on jackstands at a repair shop having the gearbox rebuilt). I gave these five names to the helpful manager of the local title office and asked her to do a manual record search. She found nothing (keep in mind that I owned this car from 1969 through 1973). The magistrate of the Common Pleas Court is insisting that I take it to a Ohio State Highway Patrol facility 39 miles away to have the VIN verified. When checking the website for this OSHP office, I found that their purpose is to examine kit cars and salvaged vehicles. You are required to produce receipts for all the parts on the car. It's pretty clear that they are trying to prevent chop shops and ringers from obtaining titles for dubious vehicles (I applaud that effort, maybe it will slow down the thefts of Honda Civics and Escalades!)). But, my friends, here's the kicker. The car must be DRIVEN to the OSHP office. This car has been stored and off the road since the 70's (picture rotted tires, locked engine, old fuel in the gas tank, hopeless clutch and master cylinders, etc.), and, it ain't a kit car! So now, we're at an impasse with the legal system.

Remember the fact that the VIN can't be found through a manual search? There is a belief in the old car world that vehicles that are not licensed and registered are purged from the system every seven to ten years. When I ask the title office what could have happened to the title for this car with documented history, I get the "Gee, I don't know" answer. I'll let you decide!

So where do we go from here? I meet with an attorney next week. Stay tuned for more (and keep your titles in a safe spot!). Cheers.

So they require you to drive a non-titled, non-licensed and presumably non-insured car (I don't think you can get a car insured if it's not registered in your name) to the OSHP office? That's just brilliant.....telling you that you have to willfully violate 2 or 3 laws in order to comply. Would they, at the same time, cite you for those violations? confused smiley

I wonder if you just showed up with the car on a trailer if someone there would be sympathetic to your plight and sign the paperwork. Or maybe unload it uphill from the OSHP office and coast into their parking lot...

LucasHooter David Hannah
On a lighter note, I attended a family reunion last weekend (wife's family) and wore a t-shirt with a prominent MG logo and the words "Safety Fast". After being there a few hours and eating a brat, one of the Millennial attendees asked me, "So is that a car or something?" Sigh.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster