Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

glbishop Avatar
glbishop Gary Bishop
Spring Hill, FL, USA   USA
Gas tank dropped for replacement so I've decided to remove the rear bump stops to better match my re-arched springs.
Shortened rubber bumpers alone don't allow full upward travel so I want to "roll back" the design.

I know this has been written up by Lloyd and others, but before I start can someone tell me where they made their first cut. The extension hangs down from the body and I am planning on cutting along the original body line directly above the extensions. follow the original contour. Then I plan on bending it down to expose the inner side of the extension where I'll do the same.

I may drill a series of small holes along the cut path first.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-18 08:50 AM by glbishop.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
WP_000715.jpg    39.8 KB
WP_000715.jpg

WP_000716.jpg    47.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
WP_000714.jpg    34.7 KB
rocannon Avatar
rocannon Platinum Member Frank L
Inconveniently located in the wilderness, Oklahoma, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "GT From Hell"
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."
Lloyd mentions using an air chisel.

“If you stumble, make it part of the dance. “

Do Aliens Have Inalienable Rights?

"... cohomology rings of smooth projective algebraic varieties ..."

“Where did the public good enter into all this maze of personal intrigue, this wilderness of stunted natures where no straight road is to be found, but only the tortuous and aimless travels of beasts and things that crawl?”

“If you are not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.”

“Yes, another great idea destroyed by a simple set of facts."

“All of us at one time or another have had a sense of déjà vu, a feeling that this has happened before, that this has happened before, that this has happened before."

TANSTAAFL !

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
Gary,

Here is a link to the thread that describes the lowering process.

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,1329892

may be worth a read to refresh your memory?

Be careful

B

Check your ego Amigo!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-18 02:04 PM by riley1489.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
glbishop Avatar
glbishop Gary Bishop
In reply to # 3534767 by riley1489 Gary,

Here is a link to the thread that describes the lowering process.

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,1329892

may be worth a red to refresh your memory?

Be careful

B

Thanks for that link.
I looked at the magic before and after and was hoping for some guidance for the plan of attack.

As Lloyd warns, don't want to screw up the body rails.

I started working on one side. After it's fully removed I'll have a better idea on how to remove the other in the least amount of time with no damage. Won't be today.

I was hoping for

rocannon Avatar
rocannon Platinum Member Frank L
Inconveniently located in the wilderness, Oklahoma, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "GT From Hell"
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."
Drop Lloyd a PM.

“If you stumble, make it part of the dance. “

Do Aliens Have Inalienable Rights?

"... cohomology rings of smooth projective algebraic varieties ..."

“Where did the public good enter into all this maze of personal intrigue, this wilderness of stunted natures where no straight road is to be found, but only the tortuous and aimless travels of beasts and things that crawl?”

“If you are not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.”

“Yes, another great idea destroyed by a simple set of facts."

“All of us at one time or another have had a sense of déjà vu, a feeling that this has happened before, that this has happened before, that this has happened before."

TANSTAAFL !

glbishop Avatar
glbishop Gary Bishop
I ended up drilling pilot holes along the parting line and used an air chisel to make a clean cut.

I did the outside and bottom first then cut and bent down the section to gain access to the inner wall.
Again I drilled pilot holes then cut with the chisel.

The upper wall of the section is spot welded to the frame rail so I left it in place.
The bump stop nub will get welded directly to it.

There was a single weld holding the section to the strap hanger bracket.

Here are a couple pics.

Attachments:
WP_000721.jpg    35.2 KB
WP_000721.jpg

WP_000722.jpg    40.1 KB
WP_000723.jpg    41.9 KB
WP_000724.jpg    42.2 KB
glbishop Avatar
glbishop Gary Bishop
More pics

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-20 12:59 PM by glbishop.

Attachments:
WP_000725.jpg    46.2 KB
WP_000725.jpg

WP_000729.jpg    39.7 KB
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
I was considering using a cutoff wheel.

glbishop Avatar
glbishop Gary Bishop
In reply to # 3535812 by V8MGBV8 I was considering using a cutoff wheel.

I have a 3" cut-off air driven and I used it a tiny bit.
Tight space and too many curves.
If the entire rear end with springs was dropped there would be more opportunity to use the cut-off and grinder.

With a new sharp drill bit the holes drilled very quickly and the air chisel makes quick work of cutting.
Ear plugs no matter what you use.

glbishop Avatar
glbishop Gary Bishop
Raising bump stops is well worth the effort for a significantly lowered rear end.
It was more difficult than expected with all running gear in place. The gas tank was dropped for replacement and I removed the lever shocks too. Work space was tight but the job can be completed with the rear end in place.

I also flushed and refilled the lever shocks. One thing to note... my shock control valves did not have ANY shim washers under the large spring. I reassembled them as they were. Refilled with ISO46 hydraulic fluid and dampening was improved. Now the front shocks need to be flushed and filled too.

Back on the road today and not a single occurrence of bottoming on the rear bump stops.
Before surgery I would need to be a bit careful about hitting bumps at speed.

Test road has a long straight (1.5mi) followed by a long sweeping 90 deg turn. 90mph on the strait and dropped to 75 on the corner just in case a surprise was waiting. The road at times is well traveled and many keep to the speed limit. But today, the newish Mustang that followed, had me stepping it up. The Mustang dropped back half way along the straight and then made quick work of catching up. I was going 90 ... he must have been doing 130 to catch back up. Several more curves on this road and every one has a warning light showing the 35mph speed limit. It begins to flash if you're over the limit so needless to say they all were flashing.

One 'S' turn with a rise at the waist that crosses a set of RR tracks. That was a perfect test of the rear suspension. No problem flying over the tracks. Low 90's today in FL. No RAIN and only a few clouds. Today was the first day WITHOUT rain in about a month. Felt good to be back out on the road.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster