AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

saanich2006 Avatar
saanich2006 Robert Browning
Atlanta, Georgia, USA   USA
1973 MGB
Basically stock

On my car I have the original style lever shocks all the way around, and Moss springs on the back, which only have about 5,000 miles on them and are about ten years old.

My car has 185/70 R14 tires with the Mini-lite wheels

From the ground to the bottom of the chrome strip, my car height is:

LF 26"
RF 26"
RR 25"
LR 25-1/4"

Does this sound correct?

When I look at my car the front always seems higher, and when two people are in the car the right rear tire will rub sometimes.

Is my ride height normal/correct?

"He had delusions of adequacy."

Law of Mechanical Repair - After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
Measure from the wheel center to stainless side trim. Post results.

FYI shocks will not affect ride height.

B

Check your ego Amigo!

chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Interesting that your RR is higher than the LR. It is usually the other way round if anything.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
HiPowerShooter Avatar
HiPowerShooter Gold Member James Booker
Oshkosh, Wisconsin, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
Your car should not be nose high if unloaded...If so you're in need of new rear springs.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"--Alvin "Tex" Johnston...Boeing test pilot.

73 MGB. Tires: Round, black, hold air. Oil: Sometimes old, sometimes new...always slippery. Oil filter: Yellow, usually full of oil. Carbs: 2 SU HIF. Distributor: Yes. Headlights: Not that bright but bright enough. A bunch of other stuff most cars have but not really important enough to itemize. Oh, wait...it has a cool sounding exhaust with stickers on the chrome tips. Really slays the ladies...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
saanich2006 Avatar
From the center of the wheel, to the bottom of the chrome strip (the closes I can measure):

LF 14-7/8
RF 14-3/4
RR 13-7/8
LR 13-7/8

So the front is about an inch higher.

Is the rear about the correct height? What should it be?

Law of Mechanical Repair - After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee.

saanich2006 Avatar
In reply to # 3534460 by HiPowerShooter Your car should not be nose high if unloaded...If so you're in need of new rear springs.

How long should springs last???? Like I said, mine are about ten years old and only have about 5,000 miles on them.

riley1489 Avatar
1953 Jaguar XK120
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3534461 by saanich2006 What should it be?

Don't forget the library, all manner of good information posted to reference.

http://www.mgexp.com/article/height.html

B

Check your ego Amigo!

HiPowerShooter Avatar
1973 MG MGB
Mileage is not really so important as the time that the springs have been "loaded". My recent experience regarding rear springs and some measurements/pictures HERE

In reply to # 3534463 by saanich2006
In reply to # 3534460 by HiPowerShooter Your car should not be nose high if unloaded...If so you're in need of new rear springs.

How long should springs last???? Like I said, mine are about ten years old and only have about 5,000 miles on them.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"--Alvin "Tex" Johnston...Boeing test pilot.

73 MGB. Tires: Round, black, hold air. Oil: Sometimes old, sometimes new...always slippery. Oil filter: Yellow, usually full of oil. Carbs: 2 SU HIF. Distributor: Yes. Headlights: Not that bright but bright enough. A bunch of other stuff most cars have but not really important enough to itemize. Oh, wait...it has a cool sounding exhaust with stickers on the chrome tips. Really slays the ladies...

Peter-Sherman Avatar
Peter-Sherman Peter Sherman
Melbourne, Australia   AUS
Ideal ride height for a chrome bumper car is 13.5 to 14 inches. Keeps you just clear of speed humps and carpark ramps; but gives handling advantage.
http://www.mgbmga.com/tech/mgb14b.htm

Your rear ride height is ideal. Correct ride height rear springs are sought after. The new ones are better than they were a few years ago, ridiculously too high. But I frequently read of instances of them still being a little on the high side. Do a search on rear ride height and you will see lots of complaints.
Your front is an inch higher than ideal.
This is good news because you can expect to improve the handling of your car a little for little cost.
eg http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=110673
the road uprated ones look ideal.
I have about 30% uprated front springs (standard shocks) and much prefer the ride to the standard chrome bumper springs, which feel sloppy in comparison.

Actually I doubt that having the back a little lower than the front will cause any problems. Having the rear higher can make the rear step out a little sooner.

saanich2006 Avatar
It seems my springs are not what you call bad. They have just settled some
When I am alone it is not an issue, but with a passenger the tire rubs sometimes
Has anyone tried this kit? I just need to raise it about 1"

Attachments:
IMG_2430.jpg    48.2 KB
IMG_2430.jpg

mikez520 Avatar
mikez520 mike Zitkus
tucson, arizona, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB GT "Betty Blue"
someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe that kit will only lower a spring under axle suspension like our B's. It would have to be a spring over axle suspension to raise the car.

HiPowerShooter Avatar
1973 MG MGB
You need new springs if the broadside picture of your MG is an accurate representation of it's ride height.

Your tires shouldn't rub under any circumstance unless you're overloaded.

I wouldn't bother with blocks either...

My car looked about the same, after I installed new GT springs(one extra leaf) it looked and drove much better.

Attachments:
Before.jpg    42.4 KB
Before.jpg

After.jpg    32.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
Your situation is typical for CB cars with standard rear springs on them for a number of years. If one mounts the GT springs for CB cars instead, this situation is avoided for at least 10 years, maybe even longer. Guess how I know...

The picture I added shows my B with GT springs at the back and a lot of tools and spare parts always in the back right now. I remember I put the new springs in at least 7 years ago, maybe even longer. As a rule of the thumb, putting new rear spings in im my case happens about every 12 years or so after converting to GT ones. Front springs need some renewal and juggling system to compensate for the bachelors lean you apparently have no problem with. I renew LF and put the old LF to RF every 7 years

If I fully unload my B there is a slight forward stance, a few months after rearspring renewal this stance is more pronounced. Rearsprings need some time to settle in.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-18 04:44 AM by Donthuis.

Attachments:
20170612_210656.jpg    62 KB
20170612_210656.jpg

Peter-Sherman Avatar
Peter-Sherman Peter Sherman
Melbourne, Australia   AUS
if you are getting tyre rub at 13.8 then you probably need to replace the bushes in the rear shackles, and probably the front spring eyes as well. You have too much side to side movement going on. You can fit a panhard rod (I have one from Pete Mantel, developed by Doug Jackson http://www.mgbmga.com/tech/mgb15.htm ) but that should not be necessary with standard tyres.I have one mostly because of the glassfibre springs. When I first fitted my 195 by 60 michelins I did get a little tyre rub, but that was because the bushes were original and very worn. One was down to metal one end. The rub was actually on the rear bump stop pedestal. Which might mean that if you raise the rear, rub could get worse. If you don't really care to have the car at best ride height, you could fit rubberbumper rear springs, which if they are correct, are an inch taller than chrome bumper ones. The other inch was in the hangers .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-18 08:45 AM by Peter-Sherman.

riley1489 Avatar
1953 Jaguar XK120
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3534523 by saanich2006 but with a passenger the tire rubs sometimes

A red herring.

The MGB is deigned to carry 2 people with ease and 2 people with a load as well.
Tire rubbing should never happen. This this is not a function of low or high ride either.

Your first order of business should be to check and determine if the axle is centered?

B

Check your ego Amigo!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster