MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Badge bar installation, am I missing something?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Flash Badger Garry Paterson
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia   AUS
1970 MG MGB MkII "Maggie B"
I bought this badge bar from Moss Europe to mount my driving lights on I have a 1969 MGB with chrome grill, chrome bumper and overriders.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to fit it without having to cut anything? I've got the over riders off the bumper and the bumper off the car. When I test fit it, the angle that sits between the bumper and the car does not allow the bumper to be fitted back to its original position.

For clarity I am sandwiching the badge bar between the "L" shaped bracket on the car and the bumper itself. I've tried fitting it on the "car side" of the mounting bracket but it's not a fit their either?

Am I missing something obvious and probably embarrassing?

Rgsrds

Garry

1970 Australian Mk2 MGB Roadster

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0091.jpg    14.8 KB
IMG_0091.jpg

ZetlandMk2 Silver Member David R
Armidale, NSW, Australia   AUS
1970 MG MGB
Hi Garry,

Have exactly same car, same bar, same lights, same problem. So two of us waiting to be embarrassed.

Here's hoping we get a response Dave, I'm not keen to cut stuff if I don't have too. I might give Moss a buzz and I'll tip you off if I do.

Cheers

Garry

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
I had a look here - the pic should be hot to allow the cursor to enlarge by dragging. Maybe I'm missing something too but it looks like the ends just clip over the rear top of the bumper and are held on by a pair of the chrome head bumper bolts.It then looks like you need a pair of the clamps below to hold your lamps. I'm only guessing as when I had my pair of LR6 on my Mk1 I made my own mounts given I have no bumper. Are you saying that even if you have mounted the bar as I guessed there is insufficient gap between the valance and the bumper to allow refitting? Perhaps you could add pics of how it is mounted and show exactly where it's fouling.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CC rear attached to Ford FG ute axle. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Attachments:
clamp.jpg    8.9 KB
clamp.jpg

Thanks for the response Barry. The bar I have has mounting brackets for the lights welded on. I think it might be a new model. I will take some photos when I'm home to illustrate but having just called Moss (who were very helpful) they have confirmed that I'm mounting the bar as intended. Because of width of the bumper I may have to cut a couple of slots in it to allow the bumper to fit into its original position. Either that or use longer bolts and spacers.

Garry

Horrocks Johannes Linder
Sweden   SWE
Count me in. I tried to install it to my 1970 B without success. Thought I was a complete idiot.

malski Avatar
malski Silver Member Peter Malkin
Bright, N.E.Victoria, Australia   AUS
Garry
That looks identical to a badge bar that I bought from Don Ballingal many years ago for an MGB and I couldn't make it fit. I suspect that it is for an MGA but cannot confirm. I was too lazy to follow up and still have it. Sorry, not much help.

Peter Malkin
NE Victoria
Australia
MGBGTV8 (1977)
MGB Roadster (1967) Supercharged - under restoration
MGTC (1949)

Looks like there is a pattern forming! What year was your B Peter?

malski Avatar
malski Silver Member Peter Malkin
Bright, N.E.Victoria, Australia   AUS
Garry
1967 Roadster

Peter Malkin
NE Victoria
Australia
MGBGTV8 (1977)
MGB Roadster (1967) Supercharged - under restoration
MGTC (1949)

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
"Because of width of the bumper I may have to cut a couple of slots in it to allow the bumper to fit into its original position. Either that or use longer bolts and spacers. "

I'd be trying the latter especially if your bumper is OEM. If it's one of the repros which are renowned for their ill-fitting then not such a worry but it almost reads like the bar is "not fit for purpose".

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CC rear attached to Ford FG ute axle. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

andy303 Avatar
andy303 Gold Member Andrew Blackley
Chardon, Ohio, USA   USA
Attached are some photos of the mounting of my badge bar. It bolts to the bumper mount from behind the bumper itself, without any cutting that I can see. This was installed by the PO, so I do not know its source. The usual Moss stuff I would suspect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-19 08:12 AM by andy303.

Attachments:
IMG_2008.JPG    43.3 KB
IMG_2008.JPG

IMG_2012.JPG    35.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Great photos Andy, that's exactly what I've been looking for. Did you notice if there was any spacers on the other bumper bolts?

Regards

Garry

andy303 Avatar
andy303 Gold Member Andrew Blackley
Chardon, Ohio, USA   USA
garry:

Here's a pic of the bumper attachment on the right side. No spacer.

Attachments:
IMG_2024 (2).jpg    23.4 KB
IMG_2024 (2).jpg

David R, I responded to your PM but I cannot see it in my "sent items" file. Did you get it?

Garry

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster