AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Gillamax Avatar
Gillamax Silver Member Gary Wright
Ennis, Texas, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "My Girl"
here are a few pics of Rick Pattons TR6 that i plan to kinda pattern my build after, on the right side of course.

American by birth. Texan by the grace of GOD.
USMC Semper Fi

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

Attachments:
schrgr.install4.jpg    59 KB
schrgr.install4.jpg

schrgr.install18.jpg    52.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
tn_blowoff3.jpg    5.7 KB
pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, Nova Scotia, Canada   CAN
That's a tidy installation. Should get good carb heat with the short nose blower on yours. Or do you plan on EFI?

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

Gillamax Avatar
Ennis, Texas, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "My Girl"
Adrian
I don't know yet. I will dig up some pics of what I am working for. Then you tell me what you think.
Gary

USMC Semper Fi

Gillamax Avatar
Ennis, Texas, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "My Girl"
Adrian
I am thinking of an air box something similar to this setup for dual HIF4's. I like this idea but with aluminum pipe not a flexible hose.
Gary

USMC Semper Fi

Attachments:
4738F628-E506-4F99-B5E4-895A20206795-5696-00000ADDC96D9CB3_tmp.png    62.9 KB
4738F628-E506-4F99-B5E4-895A20206795-5696-00000ADDC96D9CB3_tmp.png

15D5EB52-F44F-4F87-AF6C-B0FCA0E262B4-5793-00000B0B42E4E94C_tmp.png    35.7 KB
pinkyponk Avatar
Dual HIFs would be cool but I think you're going to have an issue with space. I managed to fit a HIF6 in sideways but I wouldn't be able to fit it running straight at the supercharger body. I also find my carb runs too cold blocked by the supercharger body. I'm getting away with it but it's a minor issue in cooler temperatures that irritates me. I ran a hot water coil around the dashpot for a while. If I do another one I'll use a short nose blower like yours and get the carb closer to the exhaust manifold. It can shielded a lot easier than it can be heated.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

Denis Avatar
Denis Denis Hill
Bearii, Nth Victoria, Australia   AUS
The only blow through MGB I have seen had the blower on the opposite side of the engine to the intake and passing around the front in the intercooler. Like the TR6 Pic. There are a few blow through turbos around. You can do a lot more with the intake air than you can with a mixture.
Denis

68 B roadster, Daffodil yellow, Moss supercharger, Burgess SC head, SC cam, Mikuni HSR 48 carburetor and engine built for supercharging.

73 BGT V8 conversion starting with a bare shell. Built the engine early in the year with high comp pistons and a few other nice but not too wild bits. Have completed the firewall and steering mods but it is a complete resto and will take time. I am however really enjoying this new project.

Gillamax Avatar
Ennis, Texas, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "My Girl"
Guys
What I am proposing is like the TR6 pics. Charger opposite side of intake. I think I have plenty of room on this 77 once I clean up all the air pump and lines and go with a smaller more powerful alternator and and install my dual HIF's and cast exhaust. The SC is actually fairly lite so a big heavy bracket is not needed. This is the idea that I think will work. George I haven't heard you chime in yet. You, Adrian, and Denis got me started on this idea so I listen to all and record everyone's advice.
Gary

USMC Semper Fi

Attachments:
IMG_2586.JPG    41.5 KB
IMG_2586.JPG

pinkyponk Avatar
OK... I get it now. thumbs up

Adrian

Denis Avatar
Denis Denis Hill
Bearii, Nth Victoria, Australia   AUS
Gary You don't want or need a blow off valve with a positive displacement blower. Maximum boost is set by the drive ratio. Denis

68 B roadster, Daffodil yellow, Moss supercharger, Burgess SC head, SC cam, Mikuni HSR 48 carburetor and engine built for supercharging.

73 BGT V8 conversion starting with a bare shell. Built the engine early in the year with high comp pistons and a few other nice but not too wild bits. Have completed the firewall and steering mods but it is a complete resto and will take time. I am however really enjoying this new project.

pinkyponk Avatar
I'm guessing that's the "sneeze" valve Denis.

Adrian

Chalky Avatar
Chalky David White
Coventry, Warwickshire, UK   GBR
There are a lot of Mercedes superchargers on the market that are quite cheap compared to the usual mini ones. Unfortunately the inlets are in strange places and this makes them difficult to use. If this works and works with standard carbs then this opens up supercharging to a whole range of cars and very cheaply - A kit could consist of a mounting bracket and a plenum.

pinkyponk Avatar
A Moss "cold air intake" would provide a path into the carbs. Now you just need a mounting bracket and some pipe. grinning smiley

Adrian

Chalky Avatar
Chalky David White
Coventry, Warwickshire, UK   GBR
The MG Metro, Maestro, and Montego had modified HIFs that would stand boost, so there is a route.

Gillamax Avatar
Ennis, Texas, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "My Girl"
That's what I'm talking about. The BOV was in Ricks setup but I may not need it. If I am not doing a suck thru then there is no air fuel charge in the plenum or the SC so would I need a sneeze valve since there is no charge present to ignite or would it blow it thru the carbs to the plenum? Blowing thru the carbs what else would I need? Something to read manifold pressure, an O2 sensor for sure, a boost adjustable fuel pressure regulator? An electronic ignition system to regulate spark and advance. What else would be needed for a better system? SOME ONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING?

USMC Semper Fi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-18 07:52 AM by Gillamax.

Gillamax Avatar
Ennis, Texas, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "My Girl"
Adrian
By the way some guys from the MB world forum got back to me from running the numbers and this is an Eaton M45 not a M62. Oh well it should still work ok.
Gary

USMC Semper Fi

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1970 MG MGB

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links