AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MG-Maxx Avatar
MG-Maxx Silver Member Charles Waugh
West Haven, Ct, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB MkIII "Rumpelstiltskin"
2008 Chevrolet HHR
I got tired of being left in the dust of Soccer Moms and their SUV's so I threw in a LX9 3.5 V6. As always I am doing my Tim the ToolmanTaylor impression and wanting even more POWER. So now I am looking a forced induction setup. Four times the power is just not enough. smileys with beer

In this search I watched a Wheeler Dealer episode where they replaced the supercharger on a mercedes SLK.

While it is small for the V6, it would be perfect for the B motor. Just have to fab a mount,and belt setup, then just pipe the air. Looks easier then fabing a intake as I have seen from others that used a roots (screw) type charger.

A quick search on car-parts.com shows them going for around $350 here in the northeast.

Chuck
Hamden, CT

79 MGB - Rumpelstiltskin
Just awakened after a 10 year slumber.
GM 60V6 Gen 3 - 3.5L EFI V6 T-5.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-23 05:00 PM by MG-Maxx.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
SLK supercharger.jpg    32.8 KB
SLK supercharger.jpg

RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
As in the Moss setup? RAY

MG-Maxx Avatar
MG-Maxx Silver Member Charles Waugh
West Haven, Ct, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB MkIII "Rumpelstiltskin"
2008 Chevrolet HHR
Thought Moss kit is a suck through set up which is the common setup for screw type superchargers. Suck or blow, each have their followers and benifets. I am in the blow camp, due to the ability to cool the charge before entering the engine.

Suck - charger after carb/throttlebody mounted to intake
Blow - Charger before carb/throttlebody. Gives the ability to add intercooler.

Chuck
Hamden, CT

79 MGB - Rumpelstiltskin
Just awakened after a 10 year slumber.
GM 60V6 Gen 3 - 3.5L EFI V6 T-5.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-23 05:07 PM by MG-Maxx.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
Having run the Moss system for 15 years, I can say that it works very well. I'm running 7 psi boost, having dialed it down from 10 psi due to fuel constraints. The problem, with running an intercooler, is the space that it requires. RAY

pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, Nova Scotia, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3517526 by MG-Maxx Thought Moss kit is a suck through set up which is the common setup for screw type superchargers. Suck or blow, each have their followers and benifets. I am in the blow camp, due to the ability to cool the charge before entering the engine.

Suck - charger after carb/throttlebody mounted to intake
Blow - Charger before carb/throttlebody. Gives the ability to add intercooler.

How many PSI are you shooting for Charles? How many cc is the Merc blower?

I'm thinking about doing blow through with a 500cc Subaru supercharger with an intercooler. The "big" 1000cc blower I have on my B (Moss one is 750) doesn't seem to give much trouble but the little guy will have to spin like crazy to make any pressure so I'm expecting more heat.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

Gillamax Avatar
Gillamax Silver Member Gary Wright
Ennis, Texas, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "My Girl"
Don't stop this thread yet. Adrian and I have talked a little about this. I just purchased an Eaton M45 and manifolds from a Mercedes SLK or C230 2.3L engine. My plan is blow thru also. Waiting for their arrival now.

American by birth. Texan by the grace of GOD.
USMC Semper Fi

Denis Avatar
Denis Denis Hill
Bearii, Nth Victoria, Australia   AUS
Both systems work well but most of the development work on our engines has been on the draw through Moss, HI-Flow and similar owner built systems. A draw through system has the advantage of self cooling to a certain extent with the vaporization of the fuel in the intake tract. I feel a intercooler is not required up to around 12 lb boost and there other ways of controlling intake temperature. A supercharged engine on a road car is only running on " high" boost about 2-3% of the time, so heat build up is not a problem.
You also need fuel pressure/ boost regulation with a blow through, not to mention, if using a heat exchanger the complexity. Sounds like I am knocking the blow through system but I'm not , just saying that there is more things to consider and maybe it could end up a bit more efficient. There is also a lot you can do a Moss or similar setup to improve the power without losing driveability, Denis

68 B roadster, Daffodil yellow, Moss supercharger, Burgess SC head, SC cam, Mikuni HSR 48 carburetor and engine built for supercharging.

73 BGT V8 conversion starting with a bare shell. Built the engine early in the year with high comp pistons and a few other nice but not too wild bits. Have completed the firewall and steering mods but it is a complete resto and will take time. I am however really enjoying this new project.

Gillamax Avatar
Ennis, Texas, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "My Girl"
Denis
My first order of business is the refreshing of the engine. I may try and take compression up to about 8.5 or 9.0
A good sweet spot should be between 8.5 and 9.5, I would assume. It is a stock 77 right now and a little anemic. A different head would be nice, one with bigger valves and a little better flow thru. I have the twin HIF4's and the manifold off of a early 70 something B. I want the engine so it if I don't like what I see or issues come up I still have a decent naturally aspirated engine. I am not looking for 10 to 12 psi boost. 5 or 6 might be nice. Someone told be the C230 and SLK would kick boost in around 1000 to 1500 rpm and then kick out at cruising speed, hence the clutch pulley system. I have yet to get Mercedes tech to confirm this but it does sound interesting to me.
Gary

USMC Semper Fi

Denis Avatar
Denis Denis Hill
Gary, 8:1 CR is the sweet spot for supercharging our B engines. You can get by with up to around 9:1 but the engine tuning is more "critical " and has less potential even off boost, although 5-6lb would be OK 9.5:1 would be far too high. Denis

68 B roadster, Daffodil yellow, Moss supercharger, Burgess SC head, SC cam, Mikuni HSR 48 carburetor and engine built for supercharging.

73 BGT V8 conversion starting with a bare shell. Built the engine early in the year with high comp pistons and a few other nice but not too wild bits. Have completed the firewall and steering mods but it is a complete resto and will take time. I am however really enjoying this new project.

jseal Avatar
jseal Jonathan Seal
Zurich, Schweiz, Switzerland   CHE
1964 MG MGB
1969 MG MGB GT
I have wondered about this, but more along the lines of an entire engine / transmission swap from a 'compressor' SLK. Whole used first generation SLK cars sell for less than the cost of a new SC. The MB 4 cylinder compressor motors (I think there was a 2.0 and 2.3) was also used on other models (although I am not certain about their availability in the US, maybe on some A,B and C class models). Wouldn't it be (relatively) easier to do a straight transplant of the entire engine and SC (and maybe transmission) instead of engineering the installation of an SC onto a motor that never had one?

pinkyponk Avatar
In reply to # 3546856 by jseal I have wondered about this, but more along the lines of an entire engine / transmission swap from a 'compressor' SLK. Whole used first generation SLK cars sell for less than the cost of a new SC. The MB 4 cylinder compressor motors (I think there was a 2.0 and 2.3) was also used on other models (although I am not certain about their availability in the US, maybe on some A,B and C class models). Wouldn't it be (relatively) easier to do a straight transplant of the entire engine and SC (and maybe transmission) instead of engineering the installation of an SC onto a motor that never had one?
My guess would be "Not even close" although I have never swapped an engine into a B... I have adapted a supercharger from another car. It wasn't all that difficult to make an intake manifold, pulley and a few brackets.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

Gillamax Avatar
Ennis, Texas, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "My Girl"
Denis
I can see that about the tuning being critical on the higher cr. Once I get this engine totally apart I can tell more what I have and can do with it. I believe this stock engine ran about 8.5:1 when new. With 72K on it could be a little less. I sometimes just throw my thoughts out there to get a reaction and some discussion going. The dual SU's and the old cast iron exhaust is going to happen. In my mind I can picture the routing of the air intakes tubes. There is so much room on the 77 for acessaries to be routed. I saw a post one time that had the fresh air intake coming from the air intake under the windshield using the heater box space for a filter box. An aluminum bracke can be built to take place of the air pump position. It don't get that cold here and if it does then who wants to drive a convertible in the cold. That's what F150 4x4's are for.
Now I have to agree here with Adrian, swapping an engine is not going to happen, unless I come across a Ford 289 - 302 with a 4 or 5 speed auto, then it would but I doubt it right now.

USMC Semper Fi

Gillamax Avatar
Ennis, Texas, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "My Girl"
Denis, Adrian
Well guys today I got my MB C230 M45 supercharger and manifolds today. They actually came in last week but I was on vacation. A little dirty but that was to be expected. Bolted the manifolds on just to get an idea of how I may want to mount it. I am still thinking blow thru at this point. The intake is on the rear and like I said it could come in thru the air vent under the windshield minus the heater box but an air box and filter in its place. The twin HIF's could have a collector box built on them and the forced air feed thru there. I go back to work Monday and I will take measurements with me to look for scrap aluminum to work with for brackets.

USMC Semper Fi

Attachments:
IMG_2580.JPG    47.5 KB
IMG_2580.JPG

IMG_2583.JPG    44.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_2581.JPG    49.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Denis Avatar
Denis Denis Hill
Gary that looks like a good unit to work with. Much closer to the M45 we know. Look forward to your progress. Denis

pinkyponk Avatar
That will be easy to fit a carb and manifold to.

Adrian

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster