MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

question about minimum clearance between tire and lip on rear axle.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

limey222 Avatar
limey222 Silver Member Michael Cubbon
Portland, Oregon, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB "Mandy"
I have a question regarding tire clearance with lip on rear wheels on my MGB.
I currently have 15 x 5.5 wheels and 185R60X15 tires. The clearance is currently .44".
The tire manufacturer says that I can install them on a 15 x 6 wheel with no problem (it gives me a much larger choice of wheel styles).
My lip clearance will drop to .19". Is that pushing the envelope to much?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Gold Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
First check the clearance on both rear wheels. MGB rear axle housings are often not centered in the chassis....

Dick

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

Rod H. Avatar
Amity, Oregon, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
I think you will have problems with the closer clearance. sad smiley

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
Time for a panhard rod.

dickmoritz Avatar
Precisely... thumbs up

Dick

In reply to # 3514780 by V8MGBV8 Time for a panhard rod.

limey222 Avatar
1969 MG MGB "Mandy"
Dick,

Yes, I am aware of that, the clearances and have quoted are for the worse case scenario, which on my car is the driver's side, it won't be an issue on the passenger side..

In reply to # 3514771 by dickmoritz First check the clearance on both rear wheels. MGB rear axle housings are often not centered in the chassis....

Dick

dickmoritz Avatar
Perhaps you can install an adjustable Panhard rod to equalize the clearance on both sides, then take measurements to see what kind of clearance you have left. Or, you could just take the average of the two sides' clearances to see what you'd end up with.

In vintage racing most sanctioning bodies allow wheels one inch wider than stock, so most who adhere to this rule run 5 1/2 inch wide rims on MGBs. With the street radials we run, we sometimes have to remove or bend back the lip on the inside of the rear quarters to eliminate potential wheel rub. And those who choose to run 6 inch wide rims definitely have to do so, and often have to (surreptiously...) bow the rear quarters out for clearance...

Dick

In reply to # 3514791 by limey222 Dick,

Yes, I am aware of that, the clearances and have quoted are for the worse case scenario, which on my car is the driver's side, it won't be an issue on the passenger side..

In reply to # 3514771 by dickmoritz First check the clearance on both rear wheels. MGB rear axle housings are often not centered in the chassis....

Dick

limey222 Avatar
1969 MG MGB "Mandy"
Perhaps if I explain what I am trying to achieve. I have fitted an MGC 3.07 axle to my MGB because the gearing is better suited to my T5 transmission. The MGC axle is of course narrower than the standard "B" axle when you install MGB hubs and brakes so I had to reluctantly fit 3/4" spacers. I currently have 15 x 5.5 +22mm offset Minilite-style wheels. I would like to eliminate the spacers and go with VTO Retro 4 wheels which are only available in a 6" rim. On paper VTO Retro 4 15 x 6 wheels with a +3mm offset come perilously close to working if I eliminate the spacers since 22 minus 3 equals 19 which is .748" practically the wide of the spacer. The extra 1/4" (1/2" overall) on rim width is the only sticking point due to reduced lip clearance.
Maybe one have you will come up with brilliant answer for me.

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
No bar needed you can use axle locating bronze bushings and Delrin washers.
Although with .25 inch it might not solve.
Why not get the correct offset for clearence?
215/40's on 17by 6's shown below

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-19 04:11 PM by ohlord.

Attachments:
20160707_161016.jpg    53.9 KB
20160707_161016.jpg

mowog1 Avatar
mowog1 Gold Member Rick Ingram
Saint Joseph, Illinois, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "The V8"
1978 MG MGB "Maggie"    & more
In reply to # 3514822 by limey222 . The MGC axle is of course narrower than the standard "B" axle when you install MGB hubs and brakes so I had to reluctantly fit 3/4" spacers.

MGB and MGC differentials are the same width. A w/w MGB is the same as a w/w MGC. A steel wheel MGB is the same as a steel wheel MGC.

The only variance is between w/w differentials and steel wheel differentials, with the w/w differential being narrower.

1969 MGC - 1972 MGB - 1974&1/2 MGB/GT V8 conversion - 1978 MGB

mowog1@aol.com

Member Services:
Pieces of Eight! has provided gas-charged bonnet & bootlid strut kits for the MGB/MGC and hatch kits for the MGB/GT-MGC/GT since 1996. We have recently added MG Midget bonnet and bootlid kits to inventory. Contact Rick at: mowog1@aol.com
limey222 Avatar
1969 MG MGB "Mandy"
While you are technically correct, I believe I am also correct in saying that an MGC axle for wire wheels is shorter overall when standard MGB hubs and brake assemblies are fitted, I did however neglect to say that they were Steel wheel hubs. I want to say the figure is something like 1.5" shorter overall. Since my whole post was about steel or alloy wheels I never thought to discuss the impact of wire wheel on my comments. This is why I used the term "axle" as I was referring to the overall assembly. But I (we) digress so back to my original request for information.

In reply to # 3514860 by mowog1
In reply to # 3514822 by limey222 . The MGC axle is of course narrower than the standard "B" axle when you install MGB hubs and brakes so I had to reluctantly fit 3/4" spacers.

MGB and MGC differentials are the same width. A w/w MGB is the same as a w/w MGC. A steel wheel MGB is the same as a steel wheel MGC.

The only variance is between w/w differentials and steel wheel differentials, with the w/w differential being narrower.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-19 02:58 PM by limey222.

geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, Mississippi, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT
I have a simular question. I too want to use 15" VTO Retro 4 on my GT but am shying away because they are 6" wide. Too bad VTO doesn't supply in 5.5". OTOH I did run across a supplier that had 15x5.5 wheels in a Minilite style. Unless you have your heart on Retro 4, that could be a solution.

Who's version of right are we talking about? When you get 10 LBC owners in a room you'll get 12 different answers.

limey222 Avatar
1969 MG MGB "Mandy"
Thanks for the info, but I already have that size in Minilite style...Moss sells them. I'll let you know if I find a solution.

In reply to # 3514883 by geezer I have a simular question. I too want to use 15" VTO Retro 4 on my GT but am shying away because they are 6" wide. Too bad VTO doesn't supply in 5.5". OTOH I did run across a supplier that had 15x5.5 wheels in a Minilite style. Unless you have your heart on Retro 4, that could be a solution.

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Center the spring perches

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

limey222 Avatar
1969 MG MGB "Mandy"
Rob,
Please expend on this suggestion:

"No bar needed you can use axle locating bronze bushings and Delrin washers.
Although with .25 inch it might not solve".

In reply to # 3514848 by ohlord No bar needed you can use axle locating bronze bushings and Delrin washers.
Although with .25 inch it might not solve.
Why not get the correct offset for clearence?
215/40's on 17by 6's shown below

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1973 MG MGB

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links