Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tommylg Avatar
tommylg tom greene
murfreesboro, tn, USA   USA
I installed the proper spring from Moss to replace a temporary spring from the hardware store.
I like the tension on the Ace spring.
Is there a legitimate replacement from maybe a Triumph, Austin, etc?
Thanks, Tommy

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ClayJ Avatar
ClayJ Silver Member Clay Johnston
Mt. Olive, MS, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB
Just ensure your preferred spring is strong enough to pull the pedal back to the stop. If it does, you're good to go.

course2kid Jeffrey Johnson
Fountain Valley, CA, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB "Lucy (Lucifer)"
If the Ace spring returns the pedal fully and you like it's feel better, just use it and keep the OE part in your glove box just in case the Ace part fatigues (tension springs are notorious for fatigue failures in the area where the coil transitions into a hook).

You want to be sure that the pedal weight is supported by the spring so that the clutch's graphite throwout bearing isn't rubbing and wearing all the time.

And, I'm not trying to knock the Ace spring in any way. It's just that everyone views springs as super simple devices. In teality, sometimes they are and sometimes they are not. Low stress springs are easy to design, but some springs have high stresses, high fatigue life, tight packaging constraints, and handling load requirements that can be a real bear to design. With the Ace part, we don't know the loads or fatigue cycles it was designed to handle, so, there is some risk that it may be overstressed and will fail under fatigue in our application.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster