AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Will this fit my '71 B?
  This topic is about my 1971 MG MGB
jdimi1731 Avatar
jdimi1731 Josh D
Niagara Falls, New York, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Maggie"
I am looking to replace my dry-rotted steering wheel with the same style - just with the grip in better condition. The lister and ebay are saying this will not fit my 1971 MGB Roadster - but I think it will. Can anyone confirm this for me?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MG-Midget-MGB-Steering-Wheel-With-Hornpush-1970-1979-3-Spoke-Gorgeous-Read-/382084417516?fits=Model%3AMGB&hash=item58f60187ec:g:-rAAAOSw-K9ZGmdB&vxp=mtr

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Gerry Avatar
Gerry Gold Member Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, Louisiana, USA   USA
This may not be a definitive answer BUT I have a couple of MG Midget columns in my shop. They look to be from 1970 on because they use the same top bearing assembly as the 1970-1976 MGB columns. My shop 70-74(three hole)MGB steering wheel fits them just fine

Markp61 Avatar
Markp61 Silver Member Mark Pasquill
MARION, MA, USA   USA
I recently fitted a very nice 70 wheel I obtained from Anthony Henderson here. On a 70 the horn push is on the stalk. I made the modification installing a 70 stalk and additional ground wire. Someone may correct me but that looks like a 71 wheel and up. Attached is the 70 I fitted. I should mention mine is a 71 GT. The splines etc fitted fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-19 09:22 AM by Markp61.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_3296.JPG    54.6 KB
IMG_3296.JPG

CederholmC Avatar
CederholmC Gold Member Carl E. Cederholm
BROOKLYN, NY, USA   USA
1953 Chevrolet Bel Air "The Sled"
1969 MG MGB GT "Supercharged"
1972 MG MGB "Brooklyn B"
1981 Toyota Land Cruiser
I have a wheel from a '72. IM me if it's something you might be interested in and I'll send some pic/info.

~ Carl

1972 MGB roadster - 30 over, fast road cam, full peco exhaust, Jeff S. rebuilt 45D Eurospec, Jimmy H. rebuilt HIF4s prestige interior, hood and tonneau cover, Dayton 72 spoke chrome wires, custom center console

1969 MGB GT - Eaton M-45 supercharger, TT stainless exhaust, Jeff S re-curved 25D

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
Josh
That is a nice looking steering wheel. thumbs up

If your current "dry-rotted steering wheel" is center push horn then the advertised one is also the same type. You can see the contact ring in the advert photos.

I think yes should fit.

@Gerry
was there a different shaft spline counts in these years?

B

Check your ego Amigo!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-19 11:11 AM by riley1489.

Gerry Avatar
Yes, Bruce, there were three different spline/thread patterns used on MGBs Everything from 1970 uses the same spline/thread pattern

bencii Ben Colpitts
Mansfield, Ohio, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
A couple of things. The lister is a very knowledgeable seller. Moss indicates that part no. only fits midget years 70-79 and MGB years 73-76. That could just be a difference in the hub which you might be able to swap from your existing wheel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-19 11:46 AM by bencii.

albeegreen1 Avatar
albeegreen1 Gold Member bob tresch
bordentown, nj, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB MkIII "ALBERT"
Josh: Your 71 wheel is the same as advertised. Your drilled spoke wheel was used in 71+72 only. The 70 wheel is identical but has a different rubber cap and non drilled hub. No biggie, you can drill it for the push. Gerry is spot on with the spline count. Also, (Beautiful wheel Mark!) I have a 70 wheel off of a 72 with a 72 hub on it. The PO used the 70 stalk turn signal switch. I have not gone into the switch harness but it looks as if he spliced into a wire for a ground judging from the e tape. Hope I did not confuse some people. It's just MGB science 101.

jdimi1731 Avatar
jdimi1731 Josh D
Niagara Falls, New York, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Maggie"
Thanks everyone. I will "steer clear" of this one and wait for one that's a direct match for my '71 B. Thanks for the advice, as always!

Gerry Avatar
Josh, all the hubs from 1970 to the 1976 four spoke wheel are basically the same. If you have a 70 hub you can bolt on the wheel from later wheels including the late LE wheel. The differences between the center button horn and the stalk horn switch hub is simply a hole that the horn brush fits though. I swapped the LE wheel on my 78 for the larger wheel from my 71BGT because I wanted a larger wheel on my RB car. Swapped just the wheel on the original hubs for each car. If you want the ebay wheel and already have a hub you are in luck

Denny B. Avatar
Denny B. Gold Member Denny Brodbeck
Ocala, FL, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB
This looks like a better deal. Wheel, hub and free shipping plus brand new....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-Classic-Vinyl-Steering-Wheel-Hub-Fits-MGB-GT-1970-1981-/262886632277?fits=Model%3AMGB&hash=item3d3543ab55:g:JsMAAOSwSlBYwGKF&vxp=mtr

Just my 2 cents worth. smiling smiley

I wish I knew as much today as I did when I was 18........

"I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member" (Groucho Marx)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-19 03:44 PM by Denny B..

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster