Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Fidor Avatar
Fidor Silver Member Bruce G
Glendale, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3514528 by Gerry One thing I agree with-if you own a LBC you should have a manual and that manual should be the first thing you look at if there is something you are unsure about. My Daddy used to tell me "try to help yourself before asking for help and you will find yourself asking for help a lot less" The same man used to add stuff to my parts pile when I took something apart just to make me have to use my brain to figure out where the extra parts should/should not go. I thank him every day for what may seem like a cruel joke at the time.

I come here first. I have limited knowledge of car mechanics, and 9 times out of 10 it seems the pictures in the manuals look nothing like what I have under the hood. smiling smiley

Don't ask me about my bike.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce Hopgood
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3514600 by Fidor 9 times out of 10 it seems the pictures in the manuals look nothing like what I have under the hood. smiling smiley

you could always read the words that explain the procedure/picture, winking smiley

remember 'reading' Playboy magazine way back ............... devil smiley

B

I have always been mad!

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Silver Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, Ca, USA   USA
WOW: Well that opened up a can of worms. I would NEVER put anyone down for not knowing the answer to a question, BUT I would also not give them a fake question or one that could not be answered correctly ????? Sometimes what I see here are suggestions for problems that DO NOT EVEN RELATE TO THE ISSUE. Some times I just POST ????????????????????????????? WHAT ??????????????. Me BAD> When I was in the Service, my Platoon Sergeant would step on the toe of your boot , if he thought you were slacking off on the SPIT SHINE JOB> SOOOOOOOOO, if I stepped on your boot. SOLLY. "I apologize and will try to be a more tolerant member, BUT if you get THIS ???????????????????????. you will know how I feel. FAIR ENOUGH ?????.

BumbleB74 Avatar
BumbleB74 William Milholen
Tidewater, Tidewater VA, USA   USA
The interesting thing when you get down to it, is that about 90+% of the MGB problems were discussed and solved in the first couple of years of the forum! Seriously, go to the last few pages and read some of the discussions back then....they will seem amazingly familiar!

1974-1/2 Roadster, "Bumble Bee", Corvette Yellow - in shambles, wire wheels
1976 Roadster, "Virus", Sandglow - "driver" condition (stock + 32/36 Weber DGEV, cast iron header, 25D distributor), bolt on wheels, ON the road!

crgrbrts Avatar
crgrbrts Silver Member Craig Roberts
Wheaton, MD, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB MkII "Bumblebee"
I was about to go on a rant about rants but decided to chill out instead. But, don't get me started...!!

crgrbrts Avatar
Wheaton, MD, USA   USA
Well, okay. I admit to being amused by these folks:

"My dad owned a garage back in the 1920's and put me to work in it as soon as I was old enough to hold a wrench -- age three. When I was six, my dad taught how to completely rebuild a Mack truck from a basket case. I hold every certification the SAE and ASE issues. I'm 93 years old now and have spent every waking moment of my life working on vehicles from Ford Model Ts to Bugatti Veyrons.

"The one thing I can't stand is opinions from people who know less than I do. There ain't no damned excuse!!"

okcrewed Avatar
okcrewed Silver Member Michael O'Hara
Park City, UT, USA   USA
I'll be turning 70 next week, and have worked on cars off and on since my teens. Not a master mechanic by any stretch, though my Dad was. I loved doing the trouble-shooting and repairs on my cars, relied heavily on Chilton, and was generally successful. When I purchased my new '69 Lotus Elan DHC, and also purchased the official shop manual. A few years later I did a valve job on the dual overhead cam 4 banger, and when I reinstalled the head I discovered something that wasn't mentioned in the shop manual: Install the head and valves IN TIME. Yep, bent a valve. Expensive lesson, but I'll never make that particular mistake again! Point being, shop manuals are a great resource, but this forum is even greater! Thanks to you all!!!

"A man's got to know his limitations." Dirty Harry Callahan

crgrbrts Avatar
Wheaton, MD, USA   USA
Do you still have the Lotus Elan? That's my dream car -- with dream girl Mrs. Emma Peel (ca. 1967) seated next to me.

okcrewed Avatar
okcrewed Silver Member Michael O'Hara
Park City, UT, USA   USA
In reply to # 3514906 by crgrbrts Do you still have the Lotus Elan? That's my dream car -- with dream girl Mrs. Emma Peel (ca. 1967) seated next to me.

No, Craig, it was sold when my wife was pregnant with our first child. Should have kept it, though, and there's a lesson there! Bring A Trailer has lately had some Lotus Elans, including one that is similar to mine, a '69 S4 SE. Mine had flared wheel wells, knock off spinner hubs, a team lotus paint job, and a few minor tweaks on the engine. I'm 6'2", and remember having to put on the Lotus like putting on a tight pair of pants!

"A man's got to know his limitations." Dirty Harry Callahan

sweep Avatar
sweep Gold Member Chris W
Gosford, NSW, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB "Basil"
2013 Volkswagen Tiguan
2015 Audi A3
This thread illustrates EXACTLY what internet trolling is all about. A provocative comment posted then the OP sitting back getting their 'jollies' off on the number of responses.

There has been absolutely NO value to the forum for this crap!

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

What you say could really hurt - if I cared what you thought.

Defender405 Avatar
Defender405 Silver Member Chris B.
Des Moines, Iowa, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB
@ Chris W: That kinda depends on how you use the forum and what your expectations are. In many ways this is much more than a place for technical discussions, though it is certainly that, but it is also a sort of 'Facebook' for guys (and girls too) who like old British cars. I know that I look the forum over daily 50% to see if I can learn anything or get/help someone solve a problem and 50% just to see what interesting things are posted. I get e-mailed anytime that someone posts in " what did you do with your MG today" and I read all of them. My $.02 worth.

Chris AKA "Defender405"
1975 MGB
1979 Porsche 924
1999 Porsche 996
1987 Nissan 300ZX

KevSquatch Kevin Pennell
Granite Falls, North Carolina, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
When I joined this site four years ago I was basically car illiterate. Thanks to this forum, and my brother-in-law, my automotive knowledge has
increased exponentially. I am most grateful to the people here who share their wisdom and experience. That being said, I feel that pounding one's
chest and declaring that one knows everything about cars while belittling those with inferior knowledge is quite counter-productive and smacks of
a major character flaw.

And since some people seem to like capital letters: NO ONE IS FORCED TO PARTICIPATE HERE!eye rolling smiley

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce Hopgood
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3515171 by Defender405 In many ways this is much more than a place for technical discussions, though it is certainly that, but it is also a sort of 'Facebook' for guys (and girls too) who like old British cars.

Chris W (Sweep) is spot on, no value what so ever, and I liken this thread of one addressing correct grammar or spelling in a post, (we know there is improvement to be had on this grinning smiley ) also absolutely useless.

@ Chris B (Defender405) therein lies the problem with this forum, your interpretation. Skye offers many forums to allow individuals to share ideas, points of view etc.
Oh and FWIW I usually look past this sort of thread grinning smiley

My rant is below, I come here to learn and I much prefer tech discussions versus whining.

B

I have always been mad!

Attachments:
BH_MGE 2017.JPG    16.4 KB
BH_MGE 2017.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster