Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Silver Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, Ca, USA   USA
AVAILABLE @ www.mossmotors.com "Haynes Sprite/Midget Shop Manual # 265 (Moss # 212-380) 1958-1980
"Haynes MGB Shop Manual # 111 (Moss # 212-405) 1962-1980
See Page 14 / PICTURE / "The Sump Drain Plug"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
oleanderjoe Avatar
Fresno, Ca, USA   USA
JUST CHECKED: John Twist has TONS of good information on youtube. Check it out.

oleanderjoe Avatar
Fresno, Ca, USA   USA
I PROMISE: This will be my ONLY RANT. I usually check this forum a couple of times a day. I have been in the British Car Business for over 30 Years. I usually look to see if I can help someone who truly is befuddled about their car. ?? I have a California Teaching Credential in "Automotive Technologies" (Expired Now) so I have a Pretty good handle on CAR CRAP. A few weeks ago a forum member went off on a RANT about STUPID POSTS and Mis-Information: I read his RANT and totally agreed'ed with him. If you really do not know the solution to a problem, WHY post it up ??? I really do not get it. ????? I have been building cars since I was 15 years old, I am now 77. They still work the same basic way.
a 1937 Chevy Straight SIX Cyl Engine firing order, 1,5,3,6,2,4 same as a TR-6 1940 Massey Ferguson Wet Sleeve Engine same as TR-2, 3, 4, 4A See what I mean ???? When I was 15 years old, there were no Computers or Internet. We did not even have a home telephone. I went to the Turlock Public Library (We Lived in Turlock) and checked out the "Official Chiltons / Workshop Manual" for my car, two weeks at a time, during one summer and read it page for page. Sure there were things I did not totally understand, BUT I exhausted all avenues before I looked for help. I have a late model car myself, and I take it some were for service. I do not understand all the computer crap in it. "BUT A BRITISH CAR" ???, only one step higher than a Model "A" Just saying, if you have one of these cars, you should have a workshop manual. If you can post CRAP up on this Forum, I know you can READ. End of RANT / SORRY. PICTURE / Me @ 16 Years Old with my 3rd Car, 1937 Chevy Coupe ( 1st Car was a 1927 Model A ) ( 2nd Car was a 1939 Chevy Sedan ) Killed a Holstein Cow with that one, but that is a different Story.

Attachments:
Negatives To Computer High School Farm 011.jpg    26.4 KB
Negatives To Computer High School Farm 011.jpg

Billm Avatar
Billm Bill Masquelier
Santee, Ca, USA   USA
Joe
Sometime rants are fun to read
Keep it up!
BillM

dmarth Avatar
dmarth Silver Member Dennis Marth
Aiken, SC, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB "Thunder Bolt Grease Slapper!!"
1993 Cadillac Allante
1998 BMW MC R1200C "Klaus"
You know, not everyone here has your level of experience or expertise. I'm pretty certain that no one here intentionally gives bad advice. Plus, the really knowledgeable folks will almost always chip in and right the wrong. Everybody profits, everybody learns. One of the things that separates this site from so many other car sites is the level of acceptance here for the uninitiated.

So try a little less of THIS!! and enjoy helping folks who need a little guidance.

Thanks, non-rant complete. Good to have car savvy people on board.

dipstick Avatar
dipstick Kenny Snyder
La Center, Washington, USA   USA
1941 Ford N-Series
1958 MG MGA 1500 Coupe "Rosie"
1970 MG MGB GT "Pat's GT"
1971 MG MGB "Gifted To Me"    & more
Hi Joe,
The MGExp is clearly labeled a " discussion forum" "Ask a question or introduce yourself on any of our discussion forums."
Discussion inherently involves dialog between folks having varying conceptions of how things work, huge disparities in experience, wide mechanical interests from where is the sump drain plug to lightning & balancing a crankshaft, and what size wrench is needed. If you don't want to "discuss" don't, but don't beat up the folks asking simple questions.cool smiley

Be safe out there.
Kenny

spikemichael Avatar
spikemichael Platinum Member Michael Caputo
Aberdeen, WA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Freebie"
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB "Spike"
1979 MG MGB "MegaBeanie"    & more
I think the words everyone is looking for are "chill out dude"

Sit in the corner for a while and get the feel for the place before you start throwing furniture.

Michael J. Caputo
'79 RBB and '73 CBB owner with extensive experience in 12v Audio System design and installation.
Vendor of Regalia and Promotional Products. Forum Member with a warped sense of humor.

Member Services:
Seeking MGB, BGC, RV8 Photographs for the 2018 calendar! FREE PHOTO TIPS You can always call me at 978-249-5760 PST
Gerry Avatar
Gerry Gold Member Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, Louisiana, USA   USA
One thing I agree with-if you own a LBC you should have a manual and that manual should be the first thing you look at if there is something you are unsure about. My Daddy used to tell me "try to help yourself before asking for help and you will find yourself asking for help a lot less" The same man used to add stuff to my parts pile when I took something apart just to make me have to use my brain to figure out where the extra parts should/should not go. I thank him every day for what may seem like a cruel joke at the time.

Aridgerunner Avatar
Aridgerunner Silver Member Bill Bussler
Montoursville, PA, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA 1500 "The A"
1959 Triumph TR3A "The Mistress"
Joseph,

Go back and review your teaching credentials course. I am fairly certain that the course never taught you to belittle the students. Some people do not have your wealth of experience. Experience is no good if all you do is make a newbie want to run away.

I'm an old duffer too. Been working on cars and motorcycles for over fifty years. Like you my brother and I had a father that helped us learn. He didn't do everything for us. In this new high tech information world it's become so much easier to just ask a question without doing any research that this how the youngins learn. Get over it. Be patient and tolerant.

So endeth my rant for the day.

ridgewood888 jack m
kemmerer, wy, USA   USA
I totally agree with Joe.

garyd Avatar
garyd Gold Member Gary Dabrowski
Naugatuck, western Connecticut, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA 1500 "Long Gone"
1974 MG MGB
1975 MG MGB
1976 MG MGB
smiling smiley Sit in the corner for a while and get the feel for the place before you start throwing furniture. smiling smiley

Priceless.

Member Services:
Maker of carb and choke brackets for MGB cars fitted with the SU HIF4 carb & later car HIF4 upgrades. Maker of the Air Filter Builder’s Kit, a compact and stylish alternative to Coopers Cans using economical, locally purchased air filter elements.
dawvid Avatar
dawvid David B
Sharon, Massachusetts, USA   USA
If I understand Joe correctly, then I kind of agree with him.

Some folks just seem to ask questions without researching first or just not using common sense.
Others state "I could not find any other info on this and have a question". That's cool.
Others ask a question like "What size wrench do I need to drain m oil". That's boring.
Some ask for or give opinions and that's cool.
Some ask the same question over and over again like "What tire size should I use" and that's boring.

I occasionally answer the boring questions with a polite answer about using the search capabilities.

Finally, I have deemed myself the honor of officially being a COM, - Cranky Old Man -, so don't mind me.

This is a great forum,

David

74 Damask Red BGT
Davesmg@outlook.com

Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Brian S
Carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Grrr"
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
I am guilty of being very "on guard" lately, and expect the same aura from people as you clearly surround yourself with, Joe. As a matter of fact, poor Mike C. got a bit mystified by that expectation on my part, for which I still feel bad ( Hi, Mike!) and decided to sit on the couch rather than continue here, but this really needs a voice, even if a lone thin voice in the bush.

I agree with the message, but I certainly can't buy the method of delivering it or your interpretation of the purpose of this forum.

If its all in the manual, and everyone new to this is expected to shut up, read the manual, and fend for themselves like we did back in the day before the interweb, then what is the point of this forum at all?

Absolutely, get a good manual, do the searches, even look at the diagrams Moss puts up on their website (bless'm) but does it really encourage anyone to be expected to interpret a manual as a rite of passage, and to be vetted by you or me as being worthy before either being imparted by wisdom or told to go away.

Funny how the other popular subjects here are how we can encourage the younger to take our place and how much our car should be worth if we could find someone to buy it. Are they related?

Think about what a young first-timer goes away with after reading what is often typed here. There was a time when I looked at an old Chiltons or BMC shopmanual and didn't have a clue what I was seeing. Thank God there were old heads who were polite and encouraging face-to-face back in those days, or many of us would have had our budding interests nipped by the same expectations held here.

Back to the sofa with me, then, and my apologies for being just as "ranty", it turns out.

RIRaven Avatar
RIRaven Silver Member Dave Wilson
Little Compton, Rhode Island, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB GT
1973 MG MGB
Problem is, one person's cool is another person's boring. Skip over the stuff that's boring to you and you will experience nothing but coolness. And make generous allowances for other people's skill levels and personalities. smileys with beer

Dave

thomas.dahl Silver Member Tom Dahl
Bonn, NRW, Germany   DEU
I think everyone is right. Joe is right in a lot of what he says...

But, here is the thing?

What is the average age of us LBC owners? Not so far from the age of the cars I would wager. And who comes after us?

New younger owners are of a different generation and bring skills we never had. They simply do not have the same background as us fogies, but are smarter in other ways. They do not know basic things not in the manuals. Thank God that they are here. Thank God that they are interested enough to ask questions. Bring it on.. And welcome to one of the greatest and most rewarding hobbies in the world.

BTW : I am also very skilled at asking basic questions.. My memory is not what it was and I am slapping my forehead more often these days..

Trying to fix up my dads old 1969 MGB. Lots to do. Lots to worry about. Lots of fun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-19 09:26 AM by thomas.dahl.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster