AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

RyanBurman Ryan Burman
Findlay, Ohio, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB GT
1983 GMC K20 "The Big Smurf"
1984 Chevrolet C10 "The Beast"
Well bought my first MG ever Its an MGB GT. I've been looking for one like this for over a year and this one popped up in my price range. Its a very original car with a ton of documentation on when it bought in Europe and shipped here to the states. I'm the 3rd owner. It does run and drive but currently needs a start or some wiring repairs in the starter system. Will start if pushed. Future plans call for replacing whatever is needed to drive reliably and an eventual restoration. Just overjoyed to finally have one. I occasionally do work for Ted Schumacher at TSI automotive and have managed to not have one of these for years but I finally had to have one and it will be nice to work on one not just tear it down. Looking forward to this forum. Gonna have to support it soon.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSCN4934.JPG    80.8 KB
DSCN4934.JPG

DSCN4935.JPG    81.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSCN4937.JPG    77.6 KB
DSCN4940.JPG    50.2 KB
DHAZTony Avatar
DHAZTony Silver Member Anthony C
Desert Hills, Arizona, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA "By Next Year?"
1979 MG MGB "Jack"
1980 MG MGB Limited Edition (LE) "Lee"
Congrats on your new acquisition and welcome to the site. There is much knowledge and support here. I have found this site and it's many features extremely valuable to my many projects and the questions they have produce. Enjoy the ride, both figuratively and literally. Cheers!

HoosierMGB Avatar
HoosierMGB Gold Member Steve Koller
South Bend, Indiana, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
Congrats Ryan-

Looks like a great car thumbs up Ask away on the questions and the smart people (not me) will give you great guidance.

Cheers smileys with beer

Steve

"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood"
Daniel H. Burnham, Architect

1976 MGB - pretty much stock but with a few sundry deviations

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RyanBurman Ryan Burman
Findlay, Ohio, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB GT
Thanks guys I've got ted for most of tech related questions and he has the parts on hand usually. Here are some more pics of the car and the original English plates and all the original purchase documents/ export papers each envelope has more stuff in it. One question I do have is even though they knew this car was built for US export it has the mirror mid mounted on the passenger fender? Just wondering what some of the differences were between the euro and us models.

Attachments:
DSCN4941.JPG    50.2 KB
DSCN4941.JPG

DSCN4942.JPG    66.5 KB
DSCN4947.JPG    59.1 KB
DSCN4948.JPG    33.7 KB
bleteaches6 Avatar
bleteaches6 Lee Orphan
Bonney Lake, Washington, USA   USA
Welcome Ryan!

HoosierMGB Avatar
HoosierMGB Gold Member Steve Koller
South Bend, Indiana, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
Ryan-

Regarding the mirror, from what I've read here it sounds like it was a dealer option after 1965 (people, feel free to correct me). Also, most folks have a take it or leave it attitude about keeping or installing them - some like them and some find them utterly useless.

Other differences I will yield to the floor smiling smiley

Steve

"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood"
Daniel H. Burnham, Architect

1976 MGB - pretty much stock but with a few sundry deviations

MGBBob80 Avatar
MGBBob80 Gold Member Bob Finley
Bremerton, Washington, USA   USA
1978 Volkswagen Transporter (Bus) "Buddy"
1980 MG MGB "Magoo"
2005 Harley-Davidson Touring "Big Red"
Welcome aboard and congrats on the GT!

Cheers,
Bob Finley

Bruce Cunha Avatar
placerville, California, USA   USA
Looks like a nice one to bring back Ryan. Of interest is that you said it was bought in Europe and imported to the States. I would assume it was either a serviceman or someone who took a trip to Europe to pick up the car, drive it around a bit and bring it back to the US. Since it is a left hand drive, it would not have been built for the English market.

Bruce E. Cunha

RyanBurman Ryan Burman
Findlay, Ohio, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB GT
It was bought by a serviceman new in Europe but when the dealer put the order in they made sure to specify that it was going to be for US export even though it seems he drove it for 1 year in Europe then it was shipped to the states. Now that I've looked it up I see many of the ones that made it to the states have that mirror setup. I don't know if I never noticed till now or never saw one with them in person before.

Rob-USLE Avatar
Rob-USLE Rob DE JOODE
Rotterdam, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
cancelled

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-18 05:19 PM by Rob-USLE.

mjoeb Avatar
mjoeb joe doornenbal
scio, oregon, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
Split rear bumper and fish-mouth grill, it doesn't get any better than that. smiling smiley

tomgrigsby Avatar
tomgrigsby Gold Member Tom Grigsby
Ivor, VA, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB GT "The Blight"
1979 MG MGB "The NewB"
In reply to # 3514388 by mjoeb Split rear bumper and fish-mouth grill, it doesn't get any better than that. smiling smiley

X2. 1970 is unique because of the split bumper - the only year that had that. Also, the chrome strip on the hood (bonnet) is still there. Those are hard to find these days. Sweet car!

BumbleB74 Avatar
BumbleB74 William Milholen
Tidewater, Tidewater VA, USA   USA
great looking car. Pick up some shop manuals, including a Haynes, Roger William's book on "mgb problems" and Rick Astley's book on MGB electrical systems. You'll be golden.

Clean every electrical connection you can and put it back together with a dab of dielectric grease, and you'll be amazed at how well things will work!

1974-1/2 Roadster, "Bumble Bee", Corvette Yellow - in shambles, wire wheels
1976 Roadster, "Virus", Sandglow - "driver" condition (stock + 32/36 Weber DGEV, cast iron header, 25D distributor), bolt on wheels, ON the road!

dawvid Avatar
dawvid David B
Sharon, Massachusetts, USA   USA
Ryan,

Congrats and all that stuff!

Here's a list for you to think about:
  • Get parts catalogs from Moss Motors and Victoria British. They cost nothing.
  • Get some of that anti-rust stuff you squirt on rusted nuts and bolts and squit where nesessary
  • Keep you eye open on the BST section of this forum and on EBay for repair panels to fix those dents.
  • Read this forum as much as possible. You'll be surprised how much you can learn over time.
  • Use Google to search for thoughts that you have. There is a ton of info on other sites as well and pictures as well.
  • Start taking small pieces apart and then reassemble just to get a feel.
  • Pick up a set of Pozidrive screw drivers (#1-4). Don't use Phillips head screw drivers as they cause more problems than not.
  • Find out on the net where the rust spots tend to be located and check your GT to see if you have any. Some are hidden.
  • Keep an eye out for a Bently Green repair manual. It's the best (other than the net).

David

74 Damask Red BGT
Davesmg@outlook.com

RyanBurman Ryan Burman
Findlay, Ohio, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB GT
Thanks guys, it does have a few of the usual rust issues but nothing beyond the realm of fixing. I myself was really surprised to see the amount of stuff that was 1970 only. But I did replace to starter with a good used one from Ted at TSI. Starts runs and drives. Needs some tuning to the carbs and brake work to bring it up to where I think it should be. Has a slight shimmy over 45 but I've noticed the tires have no weights and when the conversion from wire wheels was done don't know if everything was torqued to spec. They swapped to disc wheel axles in the back but not the diff so the back is a little narrow. Front fenders will need replaced for sure and possibly the passenger door. I can save everything else. Thanks for the info guys look forward to keeping up with this forum.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster