Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

perfectpitch Avatar
perfectpitch Charles Windsor (Disabled)
Disabled Account, Antarctica   ATA
CW or CCW, that is why the Lucas distributor should have a little arrow pointing to the left or to the right. If you install a CW Lucas distributor in a CCW engine, the scroll seal oilers will reject the oil back down and soon your dist will burn up its bushings from lack of oil; also, the mechanical advance mechanism will not advance anything. Find a Lucas distributor catalog and you can hunt for British cars with "backwards" distributor rotation which will equal opposite engine rotation (from normal) as the catalog will list distributor rotation direction for each one. The MG XPAG engine (and distributor) runs "backwards".

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
Surewood Chuck S
Wallingford, CT, USA   USA
I thought the direction of rotation depended upon which side of the equator you reside on.

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
They do have an arrow......

In reply to # 3513096 by perfectpitch CW or CCW, that is why the Lucas distributor should have a little arrow pointing to the left or to the right. If you install a CW Lucas distributor in a CCW engine, the scroll seal oilers will reject the oil back down and soon your dist will burn up its bushings from lack of oil; also, the mechanical advance mechanism will not advance anything. Find a Lucas distributor catalog and you can hunt for British cars with "backwards" distributor rotation which will equal opposite engine rotation (from normal) as the catalog will list distributor rotation direction for each one. The MG XPAG engine (and distributor) runs "backwards".

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

malski Avatar
malski Silver Member Peter Malkin
Bright, N.E.Victoria, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 3513096 by perfectpitch CW or CCW, that is why the Lucas distributor should have a little arrow pointing to the left or to the right. If you install a CW Lucas distributor in a CCW engine, the scroll seal oilers will reject the oil back down and soon your dist will burn up its bushings from lack of oil; also, the mechanical advance mechanism will not advance anything. Find a Lucas distributor catalog and you can hunt for British cars with "backwards" distributor rotation which will equal opposite engine rotation (from normal) as the catalog will list distributor rotation direction for each one. The MG XPAG engine (and distributor) runs "backwards".

Charles
I'm unsure as to your statement that the XPAG engine runs "backwards". The direction of rotation is indeed clockwise as is the B Series.

Peter Malkin
NE Victoria
Australia
MGBGTV8 (1977)
MGB Roadster (1967) Supercharged - under restoration
MGTC (1949)

GlennMGB Avatar
GlennMGB Glenn G
Fort Worth, Texas, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "Rose"
Quote: which way does the harmonic balancer rotate

Mine is quite still. But I and the rest of the universe spin around it in a counter-clockwise direction. It is dizzying at times.

albeegreen1 Avatar
albeegreen1 Gold Member bob tresch
bordentown, nj, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB MkIII "ALBERT"
How bout Down Under? grinning smiley

dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Gold Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
eye popping smiley eye popping smiley eye popping smiley

Dick

In reply to # 3514699 by albeegreen1 How bout Down Under? grinning smiley

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

perfectpitch Avatar
perfectpitch Charles Windsor (Disabled)
Disabled Account, Antarctica   ATA
I am very disappointed none of the experts here figured the rest of the simple equation. It is more than CW or CCW for the dist, you also must know which side of the engine the dist is on to figure engine rotation. I guess sometimes the most simple of things slip past the great experts here.

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Tap tap tap

In reply to # 3514755 by perfectpitch I am very disappointed none of the experts here figured the rest of the simple equation. It is more than CW or CCW for the dist, you also must know which side of the engine the dist is on to figure engine rotation. I guess sometimes the most simple of things slip past the great experts here.

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Triumphant66 Avatar
Triumphant66 Silver Member Kent C
Richmond, Virginia, USA   USA
1956 Austin-Healey 100M "ParisieM"
1963 MG MGB
1964 MG MGB "Nanette"
1966 Austin-Healey 3000 BJ8    & more
...or down under.

My first LBC: 1969 MGB purchased in July 1977 and been infected ever since...

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster