AutoShrine Sponsor

GMB3 Avatar
GMB3 George Badger
Soquel, CA, USA   USA
1965 Jaguar E-Type Coupe "1QUICK E"
1968 MG MGB "1QUICK B"
What do you want to do with it?

Mainly show it? Get the earliest you can find

Drive it: '68 to '72. Chrome bumpers with small over riders, 5 main engine, all synchro box [get an overdrive model], though the crash dash is not my fav.

A '70 was my first B, and it is a one year only with the rear split bumper. But that can be retro-fitted.

---
GEO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-17 12:15 PM by GMB3.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
drewt1 Drew Fitch
Kittery, Maine, USA   USA
If you're interested I've got a 1970 roadster in original condition. Bought it at an estate auction from the family of an owner of an MG dealership. Car has 15,000 miles, all original, no rust, good paint. Was stored since 1995 but just got it running. Still need to tune it and clean it. The 1970 is unique in that it's the only year with the split rear bumper.

archaeolosprite Avatar
archaeolosprite Andrew Kinkella
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA   USA
As stated previously, do you want to look good or actually drive somewhere? For full disclosure, I used to daily drive a 1979 MGB, I've driven around in a 1967 MGBGT (a friend had one) and I now own a 1959 Bugeye. Here's my take:
Of course the steel dash B's look best. They just do. Objects of desire they are. My favorite of all would be a 1967 in a dark color. BUT... Overdrive is a rare option. They've had more time to rust. Single line brakes. Getting a bit too expensive for my taste (used Miatas are fantastic cars). And they feel 'old,' which can be both good and bad.
Even though I have a Bugeye, I kinda miss the 79 B. I know. Not nearly as cool. But the later B's feel more solid/newer. I know they are heavier. I know they are slower. I know they sit higher and don't look as good. But they are fun, plentiful, and cheap! Overdrive is more common! Likely less rust! Dual line brakes so you don't die! More comfortable seats, with real seatbelts! Park in a grocery store parking lot and rubber bumpers = who cares! And I actually like the 1977 and later dash quite a bit (I rank it second to the steel dash). Convertible top is approximately 1,000 times easier to live with! You can drive a rubber bumper, overdrive-equipped B on modern freeways at decent speeds and feel moderately alright. Still scary, but not truly nerve-wracking.

Just my honest feeling.

https://kinkellasarchaeology.wordpress.com/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
2150john Avatar
2150john Silver Member John L
Nolensville, Tennessee, USA   USA
I am partial to the '73 and '74 models. Mainly because they have some more driver comfort and safety features. I have owned rubber bumper models and don't care for the ride. Even though they tend to be more comfortable. I think the early Mk I models are true classics. But since you have an MGA I would lean toward a later chrome bumper model.

As Gerry said, some colors turn me off no matter the model.

bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, , BC, Canada   CAN
I'm sure it will come as no surprise that I prefer the early 3 main cars, but anything up through the steel dsh era is fine. In fact if I ever did want another MG, it would probably be an early GT with wires and OD.

Anything up to 72 is pretty decent - have zero interest in anything after that.

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
Current: 1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)1965 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
2007 BMW Z4M coupe (340 bhp)
Recent: 1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp),Jensen CV8 (375 bhp),
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
North Vancouver BC

Discocontented Avatar
Discocontented Erik Walter
MN, Crystal, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Vivian"
Love my rubber bumper 78. I can remember seeing an ad for them in a magazine as a kid and so the rubber bumper is my ideal. Of course, I had no idea what lay under the hood but with a few (hundred) hours under the hood mine runs and has the Weber carb I thought all MGBs had.

The rubber bumpers don't get the love from the chrome bumper guys - and I get that. It's the same as my not understanding how GTs are a thing. To each their own.

DEMGB Avatar
DEMGB Tony Hummel
Dover, DE, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB
Everyone knows that newer is always better, so buy a 1980.thumbs up

pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, Nova Scotia, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3514816 by bills I'm sure it will come as no surprise that I prefer the early 3 main cars, but anything up through the steel dsh era is fine. In fact if I ever did want another MG, it would probably be an early GT with wires and OD.

What's the difference between a 72 and a 73?

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, , BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3514884 by pinkyponk
In reply to # 3514816 by bills I'm sure it will come as no surprise that I prefer the early 3 main cars, but anything up through the steel dsh era is fine. In fact if I ever did want another MG, it would probably be an early GT with wires and OD.

Adrian

Meant to say 73 - and for that matter the first half of 74 were fine.

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
Current: 1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)1965 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
2007 BMW Z4M coupe (340 bhp)
Recent: 1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp),Jensen CV8 (375 bhp),
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
North Vancouver BC

Noble66 Avatar
Noble66 Gold Member Noble Bradford
Orlando, Florida, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB "Black Betty"
1969 MG MGC GT
1974 MG MGB "Whitey"
In reply to # 3514884 by pinkyponk

Adrian

From my experience, the plugs on the wiring harness. They were that hard rubber stuff on the 72 and early 73. Then they were that crumbly plastic. Ugh! I hated that stuff!! Lol.

Steve S Avatar
On The Road, Lost in So Cal, USA   USA
In reply to # 3514446 by archaeolosprite As stated previously, do you want to look good or actually drive somewhere? For full disclosure, I used to daily drive a 1979 MGB, I've driven around in a 1967 MGBGT (a friend had one) and I now own a 1959 Bugeye. Here's my take:
Of course the steel dash B's look best. They just do. Objects of desire they are. My favorite of all would be a 1967 in a dark color. BUT... Overdrive is a rare option. They've had more time to rust. Single line brakes. Getting a bit too expensive for my taste (used Miatas are fantastic cars). And they feel 'old,' which can be both good and bad.
Even though I have a Bugeye, I kinda miss the 79 B. I know. Not nearly as cool. But the later B's feel more solid/newer. I know they are heavier. I know they are slower. I know they sit higher and don't look as good. But they are fun, plentiful, and cheap! Overdrive is more common! Likely less rust! Dual line brakes so you don't die! More comfortable seats, with real seatbelts! Park in a grocery store parking lot and rubber bumpers = who cares! And I actually like the 1977 and later dash quite a bit (I rank it second to the steel dash). Convertible top is approximately 1,000 times easier to live with! You can drive a rubber bumper, overdrive-equipped B on modern freeways at decent speeds and feel moderately alright. Still scary, but not truly nerve-wracking.
Just my honest feeling.
Can't disagree with that, except to say that at this age there is no more or less risk of rust between a '62 and an '80. It simply depends on how the car has been stored, driven and maintained. I've seen rust free early cars and swiss cheesed rubber bumper cars. I've even seen a yellow Bugeye driving around the area. Might have been yours. winking smiley The only other point I'd mention is single circuit brakes being dangerous. Dual circuit is safer, but that doesn't make single circuit unsafe. Tens of millions of cars used them over the years and brake failures weren't common anywhere except in spy movies. But that's only my view about it and I'd never suggest someone drive anything they aren't comfortable with.

In reply to # 3514884 by pinkyponk What's the difference between a 72 and a 73?
One, of course.

74mg Avatar
74mg Ross DePalma
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada   CAN
I own a 74 , so I have to say .I would buy a 74 .

archaeolosprite Avatar
archaeolosprite Andrew Kinkella
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA   USA
Steve!
I saw your immaculate MGA about a week ago - I was the guy who your wife called you about for the website name (my daughter and I were looking at the car when she walked up). She was very gracious to allow us to "talk shop" with her for a few minutes.

Small world!

If you saw a yellow Bugeye leaking many fluids with a driver that had an extremely worried look about him, then yeah, that was me (I've seen another Bugeye in the area, also yellow, in better shape than mine - how many neighborhoods have multiple Bugeyes!).

As for the cars, you are of course right that single line brakes are not a death trap, and that all MGB's are so old at this point that rust is pretty equal amongst the years. I think my preference for dual line brakes simply comes from the fact that my 79 B never had any brake issues whatsoever, and the Bugeye just can't seem to have a solid brake pedal feel to save its life, no matter how many bleeds I do and master cylinders I buy.

And to extend an olive branch to my chrome-bumper friends - I think the 73-74 cars are pretty nice (because the pillow dash is gone and they went back to the original grille look).

https://kinkellasarchaeology.wordpress.com/

razoredge34 Avatar
razoredge34 Scott Perry
Simi Valley, California, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
I also grew up in the rubber bumper era and even learned to drive in one so no wonder I am partial. I like the earlier dash of the '74.5-'76 models and the Brooklands Green color of the '77-'79s. Imagine my surprise and delight when I found a late '76 painted in the Brooklands shade from the factory. I guess the painters didn't follow the production year schedule to the letter.

It is my 'blank slate' B just as I would order one today if it were then. thumbs up

Attachments:
image.jpeg    73.7 KB
image.jpeg

Steve S Avatar
On The Road, Lost in So Cal, USA   USA
In reply to # 3514978 by archaeolosprite I saw your immaculate MGA about a week ago - I was the guy who your wife called you about for the website name (my daughter and I were looking at the car when she walked up). She was very gracious to allow us to "talk shop" with her for a few minutes.

Aha! So that was you! The other yellow Bugeye belongs to a good friend of mine. He's about 6'5" and loves small cars. He also owns some impressive brass era cars, which is how I met him. But I digress...

We're having a drive on Memorial Day. Check out the local forum for details!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster