Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

glbishop Avatar
glbishop Gary Bishop
Spring Hill, FL, USA   USA
Minus the center cap ford logo, does anybody like these for $157 delivered?
Scott Drake Magnum 400 Alloy Wheels with Charcoal Accents LW40-50644B.

Summit Racing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-15 08:00 AM by glbishop.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Screenshot (1).jpg    34.5 KB
Screenshot (1).jpg

warekl Avatar
warekl Silver Member Keith Ware
White Bear Lake Mn, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB GT
1979 MG MGB
I do. Is the offset correct?

USMC ... Semper Fi
79 RB Lowered, HS4s by Dave Braun & "Schlemmerized" 25D Dizzy, 9.5:1 CR, Mild Performance Cam, 18V with OD Tranny.

70 GT with 2.4 Nissan & 5 speed

glbishop Avatar
glbishop Gary Bishop
Offset is correct
4" backspacing

Steven 67GT Avatar
Steven 67GT Steven Rechter
Imperial Beach, California, USA   USA
These wheels have been discussed at great length:

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,3434362

glbishop Avatar
glbishop Gary Bishop
In reply to # 3512009 by Steven 67GT These wheels have been discussed at great length:

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,3434362

I like them too.
link in the post you referenced has them for even less.

ejfish Jeff F.
Delaware, Ohio, USA   USA
I'm interested....is there only 1 set available for that price?

glbishop Avatar
glbishop Gary Bishop
Mass produced so there are plenty
Summit.com and cjponyparts.com are just a couple sources for the Magnum 400 wheels.

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
In reply to # 3511970 by glbishop Offset is correct
4" backspacing

I have put well over 500 MGBs on alloy wheels and the offset I, and most MGB wheel specific manufactures use on a 15x6 is +24mm, which is 4.4" backspacing. Not to say a 4" backspacing on a 15x6 would not work on a MGB, but it will tight on the outer rear fender lip, and may require you run narrower tire than we use with the +24mm offset.4.4" backspacing, or play with the rear fender to get more clearance. So in nutshell I would say NO, the offset/backspacing is not correct, may be workable, but not ideal.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
glbishop Avatar
glbishop Gary Bishop
In reply to # 3515332 by Speedracer
In reply to # 3511970 by glbishop Offset is correct
4" backspacing

I have put well over 500 MGBs on alloy wheels and the offset I, and most MGB wheel specific manufactures use on a 15x6 is +24mm, which is 4.4" backspacing. Not to say a 4" backspacing on a 15x6 would not work on a MGB, but it will tight on the outer rear fender lip, and may require you run narrower tire than we use with the +24mm offset.4.4" backspacing, or play with the rear fender to get more clearance. So in nutshell I would say NO, the offset/backspacing is not correct, may be workable, but not ideal.

Hap

I'm not following your math.
What would the backspacing be on a 6" wheel with 0.0 (zero) offset?

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
In reply to # 3515529 by glbishop

3.5", a 15x6" wheel is actually 7" from rim edge to rim edge, this is important as rim edge is where you measure backspace. Wheel math can get confusing as the advertised rim width is calculated at the tire bead area on the rim, but the rim edge extends beyond that. So when you compare the the two wheels, the one you linked will sit outboard .400" more on each side, of course tire bulge will come out even further. Bottom line it will be close, I would not go wider than 185 on tire width. You can ask them if they allow a test fit program, where you mount a wheel on the car with no tire mounted, then mock ride height, and straightedge check the rim edge on the rear fender lip, add at least 1/2" to your equation for tire bulge.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-21 11:12 AM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
glbishop Avatar
glbishop Gary Bishop
In reply to # 3515615 by Speedracer
In reply to # 3515529 by glbishop

3.5", a 15x6" wheel is actually 7" from rim edge to rim edge, this is important as rim edge is where you measure backspace. Wheel math can get confusing as the advertised rim width is calculated at the tire bead area on the rim, but the rim edge extends beyond that. So when you compare the the two wheels, the one you linked will sit outboard .400" more on each size, of course tire bulge will come out even further. Bottom line it will be close, I would go wider than 185 on tire width. You can ask them if they allow a test fit program, where you monut a wheel on the car with no tire mounted, then mock ride height, and straightedge check the rim edge on the rear fender lip, add at least 1/2" to your equation for tire bulge.

Glad I asked. Good to know.

I checked further on that 400 Magnum part number. The manufacturer website and some dealer websites show it with 3.5" backspacing and 0.0 offset. Summit and CJPony show 4" backspacing and no reference to offset. Pays to double check.

I made my 15x6 steel wheels with 1" offset. The lip is much thinner so the backspacing is right around 4".
Actually I don't remember exactly what the back spacing is. I only remember the offset.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-20 06:29 PM by glbishop.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 MG MGA 1600

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links