Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MGST Avatar
MGST Andrew Metford
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand   NZL
Are our B engines / ignitions ballasted? What does the ballast resistor actually look like, and where can I find it in the car?

1973 MG BGT - Harvest Gold / Black interior

1974 MG BGT - Bracken / Autumn Leaf interior - http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,11702

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Gold Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
On US cars with factory electronic ignition the ballast is actually part of one of the wires in the harness; it is not a separate component. In cars with OE points, there is no ballast resistor, so these cars should use a 3 ohm coil...

Dick

In reply to # 3513448 by MGST Are our B engines / ignitions ballasted? What does the ballast resistor actually look like, and where can I find it in the car?

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

ingoldsb Avatar
ingoldsb Silver Member Terry Ingoldsby
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1971 MG MGB
Quote: On US cars with factory electronic ignition the ballast is actually part of one of the wires in the harness; it is not a separate component. In cars with OE points, there is no ballast resistor, so these cars should use a 3 ohm coil...

Just to be clear, the ballast wire was only used on later cars.

Terry Ingoldsby
terry.ingoldsby@DCExperts.com

dickmoritz Avatar
Those would be the cars with factory electronic ignition... winking smiley

Dick

In reply to # 3514127 by ingoldsb
Quote: On US cars with factory electronic ignition the ballast is actually part of one of the wires in the harness; it is not a separate component. In cars with OE points, there is no ballast resistor, so these cars should use a 3 ohm coil...

Just to be clear, the ballast wire was only used on later cars.

benhutcherson Avatar
benhutcherson Gold Member Ben Hutcherson
Louisville/Frankfort, Kentucky, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
In reply to # 3512328 by oleanderjoe THE HECK WITH ALL THE CRAP ON COIL OHMIES, I WANT TO KNOW HOW YOU GUYS POSTED THE OHM SYMBOL ON YOUR POSTS. LOOKED ALL OVER MY KEYBOARD, DID NOT FIND ONE ?????????

If you're using a Mac, just hit option(alt)+Z to get the capital omega(Ω) symbol. There are a bunch of these shortcuts to "special" characters built into the Mac OS, so it's easy to type things like £200 or 75¢ if you want. Many of them are logical, such as option+d for ∂(lower case Delta) or opt+shift+a for Å for angstrom.

I do a lot of scientific writing and often need Greek letters to get the symbol I need. For that reason, I have an option set so that I can flip back and forth between a Greek and (US) English keyboard. That's probably overkill for most people, but does give me access to the full alphabet if I need it.

On Windows, you're on your own. There should be an Alt code to get it(hit Alt followed by a four number sequence) but heck if I know what it is smiling smiley .

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 9.06.21 AM.jpg    10.9 KB
Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 9.06.21 AM.jpg

dickmoritz Avatar
If using Windows, use Microsoft Word, put your cursor where you want the symbol, go to insert/symbol/symbols/Basic Greek, select the letter or symbol you want, then go down to the bottom of the window and click Select. This will place the selected symbol where you want it. Then just copy and past into your post...

Dick

In reply to # 3514559 by benhutcherson
In reply to # 3512328 by oleanderjoe THE HECK WITH ALL THE CRAP ON COIL OHMIES, I WANT TO KNOW HOW YOU GUYS POSTED THE OHM SYMBOL ON YOUR POSTS. LOOKED ALL OVER MY KEYBOARD, DID NOT FIND ONE ?????????

If you're using a Mac, just hit option(alt)+Z to get the capital omega(Ω) symbol. There are a bunch of these shortcuts to "special" characters built into the Mac OS, so it's easy to type things like £200 or 75¢ if you want. Many of them are logical, such as option+d for ∂(lower case Delta) or opt+shift+a for Å for angstrom.

I do a lot of scientific writing and often need Greek letters to get the symbol I need. For that reason, I have an option set so that I can flip back and forth between a Greek and (US) English keyboard. That's probably overkill for most people, but does give me access to the full alphabet if I need it.

On Windows, you're on your own. There should be an Alt code to get it(hit Alt followed by a four number sequence) but heck if I know what it is smiling smiley .

Steve S. Stephen Strange
Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB MkII "The Mouse Trap"
Dick-
I'm pretty sure that the Lucas 45D4 with contact breaker points (the so-called 1974 1/2 model) also used the ballasted system, not just the 45DE4 and 45DM4 electronic-trigger systems. I refer you to the Advance Auto wire diagrams.

benhutcherson Avatar
1970 MG MGB
In reply to # 3514595 by dickmoritz If using Windows, use Microsoft Word, put your cursor where you want the symbol, go to insert/symbol/symbols/Basic Greek, select the letter or symbol you want, then go down to the bottom of the window and click Select. This will place the selected symbol where you want it. Then just copy and past into your post...

Now I remember why I became a Mac user smiling smiley

One of the other ones that I use to do in word was to type the Greek equivalent letter, highlight it, and change the font to "symbol." As I recall, Symbol is the full Greek alphabet.

BTW, since we're already plenty off topic, I'll mention that I've been banging my head against the wall this week trying to beat an old IR/Raman spectrophotometer into submission smiling smiley . When I called the manufacturer to ask if the current software they sell would control it, the answer I got was "The only person who would know retired 3 months ago." For the time being, I'm using a Pentium box running Windows 3.11(the original one that came with the computer). There was someone else in the room using one of the other IRs when I started it for the first time, and I called them over to watch the "moment of truth."

They were amazed when it booted to a C:\>prompt and I just typed "win" and hit enter when instinct kicked in. Among other things, I've been teaching people how to use Windows 3.11-I remember enough to be dangerous, while it's almost a foreign language to others. I can find my way around DOS perfectly well also, but use BSD Unix OSs so much these days(specifically OS X/MacOS and SGI Irix) that I get the commands and syntax wrong in DOS a lot. I use to have trouble with trying to get bash to understand DOS commands smiling smiley . All that aside, once the thing actually gets running(I think the problem is in a "not user serviceable" board that's now sitting on my desk and I may end up doing component level repair on) I'm going to have to migrate to a computer that will both take the interface card and run Windows 2000 so that i can get reliable support for both the software and USB external disks. I was afraid this morning that the HeNe alignment laser was bad($2200 for a refurbished unit) but hopefully this little board-if I can find one-will fix it.

Sorry for the rambling on it-that's one of those fun challenges that this 29 year old "entitled" millenial enjoys working on smiling smiley

dickmoritz Avatar
Thanks, Steve. Could very well be, as the 74 1/2 models had a lot of transitional technology. I have a customer bringing his car in for service next week, and he is the original owner of his 74 1/2. I'll check the electrics and see if what I find corresponds to what the schematics say...

Dick

In reply to # 3515112 by Steve S. Dick-
I'm pretty sure that the Lucas 45D4 with contact breaker points (the so-called 1974 1/2 model) also used the ballasted system, not just the 45DE4 and 45DM4 electronic-trigger systems. I refer you to the Advance Auto wire diagrams.

Steve S. Stephen Strange
Dave-
It would be great to be able to absolutely confirm it. It's been a few years since I've encountered one, and I no longer entirely trust my once-razor-sharp-but-now-aging memory. Manuals, parts lists, and wiring diagrams are one thing, but having an unmolested, original-owner example is always best! Knowing the engine number is also sometimes useful when dealing with "transitional models" like the 1974 1/2 car. Please let us all know what you find!

dickmoritz Avatar
Dave-

Dick... winking smiley

It would be great to be able to absolutely confirm it. It's been a few years since I've encountered one, and I no longer entirely trust my once-razor-sharp-but-now-aging memory. Manuals, parts lists, and wiring diagrams are one thing, but having an unmolested, original-owner example is always best! Knowing the engine number is also sometimes useful when dealing with "transitional models" like the 1974 1/2 car. Please let us all know what you find!

In reply to # 3515350 by Steve S. Dave-

Steve S. Stephen Strange
Dick-
Groan....... See! The years are creeping up on me. Hopefully, I'll be able to remember my grandchildren's names when I speak to them (hopefully). "Hey.... uh.... You!.... Boy!.... Come over here!"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-20 10:22 AM by Steve S..

dickmoritz Avatar
It's OK. I've been called worse.

Just today, in fact... grinning smiley

Dick/Dave/Dan/Don, call me anything but call me for dinner... cool smiley

In reply to # 3515365 by Steve S. Dick-
Groan....... See! The years are creeping up on me. Hopefully, I'll be able to remember my grandchildren's names when I speak to them (hopefully). "Hey.... uh.... You!.... Boy!.... Come over here!"

benhutcherson Avatar
1970 MG MGB
In reply to # 3515418 by dickmoritz It's OK. I've been called worse.

Just today, in fact... grinning smiley

Dick/Dave/Dan/Don, call me anything but call me for dinner... cool smiley

In reply to # 3515365 by Steve S. Dick-

If you were doing any better, you would be Dave smiling smiley

Steve S. Stephen Strange
Ben-
Gee, I mean, can I!?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster