AutoShrine Sponsor

tim65mgb Avatar
tim65mgb Silver Member Tim Guntly
Cherry Valley, Illinois, USA   USA
1960 Daimler V8-250 "SP250"
1967 Jaguar 340
1971 MG MGB GT
1976 MG MGB    & more
Superbrightness.com is great source. They have the brightest led lights I've ever used. Just ordered some today for my 71 gt brake and turn signals.

In reply to # 3510155 by course2kid I too am curious about this. While I generally love Moss Motors and have bought parts from them for many years, it seemed to me that their LED bulbs are expensive. A website called superbrightleds.com sells bulbs for considerably less, but, I wonder how they compare in terms of brightness, life, and dispersal patterns. I'm sure there are lots of other vendors out there too, so, it would be nice to hear from folks that have had good results with whatever vendor they chose.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
sherwayne Sherwin R
Jacksonville, FL, USA   USA
How's the quality and brightness of those superbrightleds bulbs?

tim65mgb Avatar
tim65mgb Silver Member Tim Guntly
Cherry Valley, Illinois, USA   USA
1960 Daimler V8-250 "SP250"
1967 Jaguar 340
1971 MG MGB GT
1976 MG MGB    & more
They are very good quality.

GMB3 Avatar
GMB3 George Badger
Soquel, CA, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB "1QUICK B"
They are excellent quality.

The brightness is shown on the product page, measured in lumens.

---
GEO

GMB3 Avatar
GMB3 George Badger
Soquel, CA, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB "1QUICK B"
I forgot to add this lamp. Put these in your reverse lamps and you'll get to see what you are backing into, before you do.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/festoon/6451-led-bulb-6-smd-led-festoon-42mm-car/2038/5342/

---
GEO

BMC Avatar
BMC Gold Member Brian Mc Cullough
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA   USA
Tom,

All the generic bulbs for brakes and turn are just that- generic. They meet a price point and some are now brighter than stock bulbs but they are not keeping up with modern tail lights that are larger, at eye level (usually about a foot or two above our Classic car tail lights), and brighter yet.

There are a number of MG owners that have used Classic Auto LEDs and can give you an unbiased opinion about them. They are designed Specifically for each car model- they are not a one-size fitz-all so they actually function extremely well. They are the best, brightest, give the best light in All direction, not just straight back, don't deal with socket issues of Chinese made tail lights or import made bulb socket bases as they are plugged straight into the original bullet connectors, and will not dim when the engine goes from running speed to idle. That last bit I have witnessed on a number of the basic bulbs which makes the brake light appear to have gone down to parking light output which would be fine if the same person was Always driving behind you and knew the car well, not so much with Joe or Jane Doe who will probably only be behind yours or any classic once a year at best.

Moving a bit backwards, I have not tried the Moss interior light but have tried others and I was actually impressed with them and knowing that if those cheap bulbs give issues, things will not be as critical as brake, parking and turn lights are going to be, I wouldn't mind using the type I had previously again.

-BMC.

Here's a silly comparison video we made a few years back:

Member Services:
Minnesota's only Fully Dedicated British Classic only shop providing Professional Restoration & Services & Specialty Products including- proper L.E.D. tail lights, Wiring looms and Engine and five speed Conversion Kits
rdgreen Avatar
rdgreen Robert Green
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia   AUS
At $255 for a set of rear lights they would want to be damned good lights.eye popping smiley

BMC Avatar
The videos don't do justice for these Robert. We've never had someone even suggest returning them if that gives any indication as to what someone understands when they have them in hand.

We will be officially announcing our 10 Year warranty (backdating to January first of 2017) very soon.

-BMC.

Member Services:
Minnesota's only Fully Dedicated British Classic only shop providing Professional Restoration & Services & Specialty Products including- proper L.E.D. tail lights, Wiring looms and Engine and five speed Conversion Kits
rdgreen Avatar
rdgreen Robert Green
In reply to # 3515040 by BMC The videos don't do justice for these Robert. We've never had someone even suggest returning them if that gives any indication as to what someone understands when they have them in hand.

We will be officially announcing our 10 Year warranty (backdating to January first of 2017) very soon.

-BMC.

I'm sure they are excellent Brian, and those that buy them know that they are getting a superior product....but $255 to replace a pair of light bulbs? Perhaps if I had an E-type.grinning smiley

BMC Avatar
Cars are hit in the rear. The (lesser damaged than chrome...) price of a rubber bumper is about $750 USD last I looked. The price to install it adds to that and whatever structure damage at 20 MPH is way beyond that in the thousands of dollars. The driver and passenger cost far exceeds that all over again. I've been the beneficiary of being struck by another vehicle, it's not pleasant and anything to avoid it again is something that each person needs to consider of themselves.

When cost is the largest consideration, half MGB sets are the next best thing and still far beyond the stuff the others are offering. The half sets are not on the Classic Auto LEDs site but they some of them can be found here at BMC where they were split apart quite a while back. Search for the words upper and lower.

-BMC.

Member Services:
rdgreen Avatar
rdgreen Robert Green
In reply to # 3515098 by BMC Cars are hit in the rear. The (lesser damaged than chrome...) price of a rubber bumper is about $750 USD last I looked. The price to install it adds to that and whatever structure damage at 20 MPH is way beyond that in the thousands of dollars. The driver and passenger cost far exceeds that all over again. I've been the beneficiary of being struck by another vehicle, it's not pleasant and anything to avoid it again is something that each person needs to consider of themselves.

When cost is the largest consideration, half MGB sets are the next best thing and still far beyond the stuff the others are offering. The half sets are not on the Classic Auto LEDs site but they some of them can be found here at BMC where they were split apart quite a while back. Search for the words upper and lower.

-BMC.

They sure are. My car from a couple of years ago. Having high output and high level bulbs didn't make the driver behind pay attention. Yer pays yer money, and takes yer chances.

Attachments:
IMG_0608.JPG    61.8 KB
IMG_0608.JPG

BMC Avatar
You bet. My Red Drivers Ed car was T-Boned (Totalled) on the drivers side with me at the wheel at the age of 15- last time out. A garbage truck decided the red light wasn't for him. Totalled the car. You Can't win them all. I had wrist and back issues for years afterwards and still have the scars but luckily have thick hair to cover up that damage. cool smiley

The best any of us can do is the best we can do to avoid, but as they say and with respect, you can't fix stupid.

-BMC.

Member Services:
Bruce Cunha Avatar
placerville, California, USA   USA
I am not going to be of any help. I bought some LED bulbs and incandescent tail light bulbs at a car show. The leds came in a pack of 10 They work great in my 67 GT. Never been so bright. The incandescent bulbs are much brighter and at our last club outing, I was asked if I had LED lights in the brakes.

Wish I knew the brands, they came in a plastic bag and a plastic tray. Nothing on the led's. 112v XB written on the taillight bulbs.

Bruce E. Cunha

Attachments:
IMG_20150923_224222864.jpg    10.1 KB
IMG_20150923_224222864.jpg

20170519_193019.jpg    18.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20170519_193048.jpg    23.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
rdgreen Avatar
rdgreen Robert Green
The one in your hand is a White E10 5SMD bulb, the bottom one, no idea. I got mine from Sencart in China, but if you Google it you will probably find lots of suppliers.

BMC Avatar
Eventually I think I can chime in but we have found plenty of wrong dash bulbs. Since there is little length, sometimes less is more because less means the bulbs sit further back. We should have bulbs in a 68-76 sized MGB set of gauges soon and I can probably report back once we figure out if the various Moss or other brands/types/manufacturers have 'what's best' for dash bulbs. They really are finicky in the various gauge types.

-BMC.

Member Services:

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster