AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Verthosand Avatar
Verthosand Guy & Shelley L
Portland, ME, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Queen "B"
Looking for the advise of the wonderful MGB wizards...

I would be interested to know whether I should go with knock-off adapters and use "modern" wire wheels (since vintage ones are bound to need fixing/servicing/replacing) or go OEM from nearly 45+ years ago?

Thank you ahead a time for your replies.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Steve S Avatar
On The Road, Lost in So Cal, USA   USA
Depends on the condition of the wheels. If they are straight, well balanced and have good splines then original wheels are fine. If not then it's best to go with new ones, as a wobbly old wire wheel is never going to run as smooth as a straight one.

Flint Avatar
Flint Richard Conroy
Tucson, Arizona, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Maggie"
1978 MG MGB MkIV
Seems I recall that the modern new production wire wheels do not need tubes, as the old ones do, an advantage. You may also find new wire wheels with a wider rim for wider tires...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, Kansas, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
If you go with new wires, you will, in all probability, need to change out the splines as worn splines will quickly destroy new wheels. That being said, unless you are going for a numbers matching, concours level restoration where you are anal about using everthing original, go with new wires and new splines! I recommend the 60-spoke chromes as they are now tubeless and look sweet!

Bankerdanny Avatar
Bankerdanny Daniel Palmer
Chicagoland, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT "Dudley"
1975 Honda MC CB550F
If you are converting to wires go bolt on.

Endeavor to Persevere

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
Can't agree with you Daniel - the B (and other LBCs) deserves centrelocks.

OP what do you mean by your topic title? Are you asking do I replace my wire wheels with Dunlops using the oem Rudge style hubs or do I use the Dayton method of attachment or do you mean something else?

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CC rear attached to Ford FG ute axle. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

2150john Avatar
2150john Silver Member John L
Nolensville, Tennessee, USA   USA
I am not sure I understand your question but... New OEM style hubs and improved OEM style wire wheels are available. I just put 5.5 inch wide 15 inch chrome wire wheels and new hubs on my '74. With P4 Pirellis the ride is amazing. The wheels and tires were set up by Hendrix for a friends Healey. They are superb. (he decided to do another complete restoration on his Healey so I became the benefactor)

I would stay with the center locks with new hubs and wheels.

Bankerdanny Avatar
Chicagoland, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT "Dudley"
1975 Honda MC CB550F
I love the look of my wires Barrie, but the cost of replacing them and the hubs is punishingly expensive. For the cost of 4 new 14" wheels and hubs I could easily switch over to 15" alloys PLUS a set of tires.

If he has bolt ons now and wants wires, I would recommend bolt on, partially because of the need to replace the rear axle if he wants to convert to factory style knock off wires.

If he is asking about what to do about existing knock off wires that need replacing, then the math is different. But you could still swap out to used bolt up hubs and add a set of bolt on Daytons for a fair amount less than all new knock off hubs and wheels.

Endeavor to Persevere

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
Daniel if you already had bolt-on hubs then yes bolt-on wires makes economic sense. I assumed OP was referring to centrelocks but he hasn't responded so who knows.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CC rear attached to Ford FG ute axle. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Bankerdanny Avatar
Chicagoland, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT "Dudley"
1975 Honda MC CB550F
Now that I re-read his question and look at the title, I think he is just asking what brand of replacement knock-off wires to use to replace his older wheels.

Endeavor to Persevere

Verthosand Avatar
Verthosand Guy & Shelley L
Portland, ME, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Queen "B"
Sorry, for the delay in getting back to everyone's questions and answers to my post. Our son was getting married so our time was put into getting the wedding prepared. Now that that is all completed, we can get back to working on our project.

My wife's baby "Queen B" (the car's name, not the wife!) is very emotionally important to her, bringing her back to a time of youth, innocence, and freedom long lost (she is a Veteran of two wars). Her original car (1972) had wire wheels/knock-off spinners and OD trannie - which we could not find/afford in the Northeast USA. So we took a project car 1973 MGB with bolt-on steel wheels, tube rear axle and 4-speed trannie. Numbers are not important to us, emotional memories and appearance are. We have found a 4-Speed/OD trannie and will attack the engine restoration shortly.

After reading that the rear tube axle would have to be changed for knock-offs/wire wheels because of the different width/clearance problems, this is what we are wondering about after considering the age/wear/rarity of original components from that era (in our part of the world):

1- "Spinner/wire wheel conversion Improved Question":
Could we use our current tube axles/front spindles, add modern bolt-on knock-off spinner adapters (from Dayton for example), and fit 15x5" or 15x6" (preferred) wire wheels?
Has any enthusiast done the conversion?
If this is not possible, what would you experts recommend?

2- We are looking for an Air Pump/slider-adjuster, air pump filter, air injector tubes, anti-backfire valves system, if any one has one around.

3- We are also looking for the switch/control/wires to actuate the OD unit. We have the OD but the wires controlling it are missing (were cut off).

Thank you so much for your help, support and advice, Ciao from Maine, USA,
Guy & Shelley

albeegreen1 Avatar
albeegreen1 Gold Member bob tresch
bordentown, nj, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB MkIII "ALBERT"
Adapters can lead to clearance problems down the road with wider tires. Get the splined hubs and knock off wire wheels. Sleep tight.

LENZ Avatar
LENZ Jim Barlow
Leominster, Massachusetts, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB GT "Murphy"
3- We are also looking for the switch/control/wires to actuate the OD unit. We have the OD but the wires controlling it are missing (were cut off)

cut off where? on the tranny or the stalk?

jim

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Bowie, Maryland, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
I would convert to the correct spline axle and hubs, then spring for a new set of Dayton wheels. Round, tubeless, safe.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

arnolda Arnold Adams
Vancouver, Washington, USA   USA
A good source for the wiring is British Wiring

http://www.britishwiring.com/MGB-s/16.htm

Arnold

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1963 MG Midget

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links