AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

skaspektor Jenya Spektor
Brooklyn, New York, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB "Green Machine"
Hi,
I just bought a Mountney 14" leather steering wheel from Victoria British (15-572).
And I have no clue how to connect a small brass clip on the underside of the horn push to the wiring on the steering column.
In fact, the person who sold me a 1976 MGB, wrecked the wiring on and around the steering column (along with many other things done throughout the vehicle.
There is a bundle of wires that seems to be cut at away at the base of the column. I do know that the turn signals and the wipers do work.
The other issue is that the horns came with a car in a separate box - so those will need to be put in - not sure where or how to hook them up.
Can someone help me (hopefully even sketch out) with photos or diagrams on how to connect it so the horn works?
Thank you in advance.
Jenya

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_4797.JPG    28.4 KB
IMG_4797.JPG

geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, Mississippi, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT
I just installed a Mountney wheel. I too was perplexed about the horn. Here is what I did;

Remove the slip ring from the bottom of the original wheel and install it onto the bottom of the Mountney wheel adapter.

Remove the spring loaded brush from the original wheel. In order to attach a wire I compressed the brush and then drilled a hole through the case and the spring loaded pin. Through that hole I pushed a wire through. The spring tension will hold the wire in place.

Attach the other end of the wire to the terminal on the horn push.

Then all assembles as necessary. Be sure the brush that contacts the slip ring is still present on the steering column.

If it was good 60 years ago, that's good enough for me

skaspektor Jenya Spektor
Thank you for the directions. Unfortunately, I did not have the original wheel (and it's components) installed on my 76. What I had was an aftermarket, cheap st. wheel without a horn push at all. On the way, someone had uninstalled everything and just left the steering column. See picture attached to the original post.
J

geezer Avatar
1974 MG MGB GT
Jenya,

Here's a link to the moss catalog.

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29019

You'll need 19 and 20. The slip ring is held on to the Mountney adapter with 2 small screws.

http://www.mg-cars.net/mgb-technical-bbs/fitting-a-mountney-steering-wheel-2011051814351728149.htm

OldBloke Avatar
OldBloke Gold Member Jim Legg
Napa, California, USA   USA
1970 Rover 3500
1971 MG MGB GT
1972 MG MGB V6 Conversion
1973 MG MGB "Tagalong"
Mine, as sourced by PO. Little red button upper right is the horn.

"Not all who wander are lost." -J.R.R. Tolkien

Attachments:
Mountney Steering Wheel 002.JPG    42.6 KB
Mountney Steering Wheel 002.JPG

skaspektor Jenya Spektor
Charles, do I need to install the wire on the spring brush's side A or B (see my sketch below).. Where in the mountney boss do I put the brush into? Which opening (1,2,3)? Also, since I have nothing to compare it to, do I attach the slip ring to the steering column or to the boss - logic tells me it needs to be stationary, right?

See another image attached.

Attachments:
IMG_4802.jpg    89.3 KB
IMG_4802.jpg

BHA5041.jpg    7.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
geezer Avatar
1974 MG MGB GT
In the boss pic the spring loaded pin goes in #2. The other 2 holes are for a puller.

in the bottom pic push the plunger (A) into the sleeve (B) and then drill through the plunger and the sleeve. Pass the wire through that hole, the spring tension will hold the wire in place. None of this is critical Just drill the hole down the sleeve far enough so the hole does not want to bust out. The plunger should be pushed in far enough so that it does not want to push the horn button out of the wheel boss.

skaspektor Jenya Spektor
Hey Friends - thank you for all of the great replies last week. I have the photos that show the state of the wiring on my steering column. See below. There are three wires that were cut and are just hanging loose on the left side of the column. Would anyone be able to help me to figure out which is which and have them reconnected? #1 is purplish in color, #2 is green/red and #3 is green.
Thank you in advance.

Attachments:
wires_1.jpg    47.7 KB
wires_1.jpg

wires_2.jpg    80.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster