AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
What width/sidewall % do you find best suits road handling?

I've got a new set of 0 offset Retro 15s from Hap so it's time to rubber up so I can flare the body - not by much as I'm not allowed to increase track by between 1 & 2" and I'm not allowed to use spacers. I was just going to get some dummy used rubber but they're few and far between here.

(I put my question here rather than Swaps due to habitation - but if you feel so inclined I'll move it.)

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CC rear attached to Ford FG ute axle. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-21 03:49 AM by MGB567.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
Simon Austin Avatar
195/60-15 will give ~24" OD. Approximate size of original tires.

I'm thinking this size for my current project.

Oops....missed the bit about flares. I have 205/60-15's on my Sebring(ed) BV8.

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-20 07:58 PM by Simon Austin.

Attachments:
IMG_3872.jpg    49.8 KB
IMG_3872.jpg

ex-tyke Avatar
ex-tyke Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1976 MG MGB
205/55R15 - same size as found on Miata!

kerbau53 Avatar
kerbau53 Gold Member Geoff Morton
Cape Coral, Florida, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB V8 Conversion "The Wreck"
I also have 205/55-15s

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3494633 by ex-tyke 205/55R15 - same size as found on Miata!

What Miata, Graham? smiling smiley

Miata has used a number of sizes over the years 18/60-14 in the early days to a 205/45-17 for the new Miata

The long time Spec Miata tire is 205/5015. This is what we use on our ChumpCar TR6, as well.

A 225/50-15 is right at 24" tall, but they are getting hard to come by for sticky rubber. The 205/50-15 is a very popular Miata size & will always be available in very sticky compounds. It is only just over 23" tall, though. It will be my choice when I switch to 15" wheels.

Steve S Avatar
On The Road, Lost in So Cal, USA   USA
I assume this is for your V8 conversion car? In that case I would do 205/60R15. That's what I run on my C with around 200HP. A bit much tire for a stock powertrain though. IMO 185-195 is better for a standard car.

Tommy Sutton Avatar
Tommy Sutton Brett Giles
Victoria, Australia   AUS
1964 MG MGB
Are you allowed to run 7" rims in Queensland? We're limited to no more than 1" increase in both rim width and track width down here.

MGB567 Avatar
Thanks so 205 seems the favoured for a 7" (which is for my V8).

Brett I'll be very close to maximum track increase which is 1" for the front but I believe 2" for rear (although I'll be trying to stay around 1" ). As for 7" I'm hoping they'll work as there'll be no tyre extending outside the body. I have a set of 6" if I fail to comply. I'm trying to find a pair/set of old tyres for the 7" as a guide for flaring hence asking what others use. It's a bugger that we can't build something like that in #6.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CC rear attached to Ford FG ute axle. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-21 03:51 AM by MGB567.

MG Cruiser Avatar
MG Cruiser Gold Member Keith Delta4
Rockingham, WA, Australia   AUS
1970 MG MGB "Moneypit"
Hi Barrie, We are limited to an extra 1 inch of extra wheel width here in WA. I will be putting on the old wires for when I go over the pits. Keith

melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Broadwater NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
1996 Jeep Cherokee "Shopping Trolley"
In reply to # 3494911 by MG Cruiser I will be putting on the old wires for when I go over the pits. Keith

I think that is the best solution for these petty annoyances, it's not as though we want to build an inherently unsafe car.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

MGB567 Avatar
" I will be putting on the old wires for when I go over the pits."

That's why I bought your Classic8s.

I had a quick look at the QLD DoT regs - I didn't see a "limitation"on the rim size themselves just reaffirmation about track but in due course I'll read them more closely.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
In reply to # 3494687 by Steve S I assume this is for your V8 conversion car? In that case I would do 205/60R15.

Yes. The 60 series would provide a better ride, but the lower profile is better for autox & track days.

Sweet C!

Steve S Avatar
On The Road, Lost in So Cal, USA   USA
The taller sidewall will often handle better than the lower one on rough surfaces on these cars. Of course autocross and track days won't pose that problem though!

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Yes, I have experienced stiffer sidewall skipping around on rough surfaces. When I get these tires heated up on fairly smooth asphalt, it's gokart time. grinning smiley

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Toyo&tireModel=Proxes+RA1

MGB567 Avatar
"it's gokart time" - a bit like these although I'm using 195 on 15" on the Mk1 but like being on ice without the studs in the wet (or so I believe; thus far I've avoided the wet stuff).

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster