Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

course2kid Jeffrey Johnson
Fountain Valley, CA, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB "Lucy (Lucifer)"
So, about 4 weeks ago, I felt determined to figure out why my '79 roadster has never idled well for the 28 years I've owned it. Armed by watching a number of youtube videos mostly from John Twist, I checked the timing and then started to rebuild the choke because I knew it was sometimes sticking a bit. Then, I figured that I'd do a proper tune on the carburetor (figuring I'd never done it quite right previously).

That lead to rebuilding the carb (which was brand new from Moss a number of years ago, but has practically no miles on it).

Next, it was on to replacing O-rings in the distributor, then machining the distributor housing to eliminate lash in the drive gears.

Then on to rebuilding the brake MC, rebuilding the servo booster, replacing the clutch MC, rebuilding the clutch slave, rebuilding the rear cylinders and front calipers, remounting the facet fuel pump to reduce noise, replacing all vacuum hoses and fuel lines, topping up the oil in all the shock absorbers, replacing the fuel sender unit, replacing the throttle cable, rebuilding the charcoal cannisters, testing the antirun-on valve, testing the TCSA valve, rebuiling the roll-over fuel cut off valve, installing new fuel filters both before the fuel pump and at the carb, repainting the brake box and air cleaner housing, replacing the sway bar bushes front and back, repainting the A-arms, springs, and spring pans, replacing the front suspension bushes and front crossmember pads, replacing the seals and sealant on my spare set of gages, rewebbing the seat cushions and cleaning the seat rails, and replacing the ignition relay.

Still, I have a number of things to go; recovering the dash, putting in a new oil pan gasket, new engine and transmission mounts, replacing o-rings on the OD pump, solenoid, and pressure relief valve, replacing a missing strap on the handbrake cable, checking all the grounds in the electrical system, resealing all the gages installed in my dash, replacing incandescent bulbs with LEDs around the car, checking the fuse box for solid connections, replacing the gaskets and seals on the side covers and checking for clean PCV passages, check valve clearance, replacing the harmonic balancer, and then, finally, setting the timing and adjusting the carb (as I set out to do)!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-20 04:16 PM by course2kid.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
jfarno Avatar
jfarno Silver Member John Farno
Minster, Ohio, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB
Another case of while I'm doing this, I might as well...........smileys with beer

Exactly! Cheers and beers to you too!

Rufus Avatar
Rufus Gold Member Harry Singleton
Garland, Texas, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
Jeffrey,
Back in the mid 90's I bought a ratty-assed ole BGT just to see if I still knew how to make one run, and turned it into a daily driver. Got to know the manager of the local Foreign Auto parts store pretty well since I was there regularly. One of my proudest days was when he says to me "haven't seen you lately,,, how ya been".
That tells us that we are getting the stuff fixed and are driving the car.
Stay after it!

Have fun

If ignorance is bliss, I must be the happiest man alive!
Signed

RUFUS
67 Roadster

Member Services:
Restoration Services. Complete SU carburetor rebuilding services. Complete SU carburetor sets available for RB retro-fit. SU's bought, any condition. MGB's bought and sold. Performance consultation. Rufus-h@hotmail.com 214-686-8692
TonyV Avatar
TonyV Tony V
Rutherford, NJ, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
I believe this is refereed to a "Mission Creep".

a gradual shift in objectives during the course of a military campaign, often resulting in an unplanned long-term commitment.

Mine has been going on nearly 30 years! eye popping smiley

In reply to # 3494524 by course2kid So, about 4 weeks ago, I felt determined to figure out why my '79 roadster has never idled well for the 28 years I've owned it. Armed by watching a number of youtube videos mostly from John Twist, I checked the timing and then started to rebuild the choke because I knew it was sometimes sticking a bit. Then, I figured that I'd do a proper tune on the carburetor (figuring I'd never done it quite right previously).

That lead to rebuilding the carb (which was brand new from Moss a number of years ago, but has practically no miles on it).

Next, it was on to replacing O-rings in the distributor, then machining the distributor housing to eliminate lash in the drive gears.

Then on to rebuilding the brake MC, rebuilding the servo booster, replacing the clutch MC, rebuilding the clutch slave, rebuilding the rear cylinders and front calipers, remounting the facet fuel pump to reduce noise, replacing all vacuum hoses and fuel lines, topping up the oil in all the shock absorbers, replacing the fuel sender unit, replacing the throttle cable, rebuilding the charcoal cannisters, testing the antirun-on valve, testing the TCSA valve, rebuiling the roll-over fuel cut off valve, installing new fuel filters both before the fuel pump and at the carb, repainting the brake box and air cleaner housing, replacing the sway bar bushes front and back, repainting the A-arms, springs, and spring pans, replacing the front suspension bushes and front crossmember pads, replacing the seals and sealant on my spare set of gages, rewebbing the seat cushions and cleaning the seat rails, and replacing the ignition relay.

Still, I have a number of things to go; recovering the dash, putting in a new oil pan gasket, new engine and transmission mounts, replacing o-rings on the OD pump, solenoid, and pressure relief valve, replacing a missing strap on the handbrake cable, checking all the grounds in the electrical system, resealing all the gages installed in my dash, replacing incandescent bulbs with LEDs around the car, checking the fuse box for solid connections, replacing the gaskets and seals on the side covers and checking for clean PCV passages, check valve clearance, replacing the harmonic balancer, and then, finally, setting the timing and adjusting the carb (as I set out to do)!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-20 05:50 PM by TonyV.

tysonsherman Avatar
tysonsherman Tyson Sherman
Olive Branch, Mississippi, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
I set out to replace floors and ended up with this. It happens...

Attachments:
IMG_0888.JPG    69.5 KB
IMG_0888.JPG

Funny thing is, when I bought the car 28 years ago, it was on a lark. It ran OK(ish), but the interior and ragtop were bad and it had 121k miles on it. Having grown up with cars from the mid sixties through early eighties (my parents cars not mine), I generally thought of a car as worn out at 100k miles. I figured that I'd be happy if the MGB lasted for three or four summers of trips to the beach.

Then I went to a British car show, bought a used, good condition dash, complete with gages, for $70 from some guy and he said something about parts being readily available from Moss Motors. That casual comment of his led to many years of piece - meal restoration, greasy hands, frustration, and fun.

If I'd actually started with a plan and a bit more knowledge, I could have bought a chrome bumper car, an engine hoist and stand, and done a full restoration in probably 1/10 the time and had a beautiful car for the whole time. Oh well, youth, lack of experience, lack of foresight, and all that!

trmgb Avatar
trmgb todd martinez
littleton, co, USA   USA
You are now ready for another

72 engine, hif carbs, black od, rest of car stock

navydude89 Avatar
navydude89 Jason Fitts
Fredericksburg, Virginia, USA   USA
I believe you've contracted "Shipwright's Disease"!

devil smiley

TinyTin Avatar
TinyTin David Rogers
Merrimack, New Hampshire, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB "TinyTin"
That's a lot of work for a Saturday. I hope you took Sunday off spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I WISH that was a Saturday's work! More like a month's work with lots of "my back hurts and I can't curl my fingers anymore" breaks! Plus a ton of breaks to consult this forum, the Moss catalog, the Bently and Haynes manuals, and youtube videos.

I couldn't do it without all the helpful tips I've found on this site's archives and the feedback from all the site experts!

19mgb72 Avatar
19mgb72 Clark Miller
Tipp City, Ohio, USA   USA
So Jeff, after all that, how does she idle?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster