Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

OzDave Avatar
OzDave Dave Barton
London, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Can a 12H4736 cylinder head be used with any year MGB? It is a UK version and NOS, never been on a car. Pretty sure there are no pollution control aspects on this one. I think the US version was designated the CAM-1106 but with some minor casting differences. Picked it up in the UK about three years ago. Pattern No. 565394. What I think is the build date appears to be A3 D8 but I'm not sure how to interpret this. There is also a "2", inverted and below the "build date" figures.

Cheers,
Dave

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

Attachments:
cyl hd-5318.jpg    21.9 KB
cyl hd-5318.jpg

cyl hd-5336.jpg    50.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
cyl hd-5331.jpg    34.7 KB
cyl hd-5325.jpg    24.1 KB
Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
It is basically a Euro market version of the CAM1106 head, as it has no smog ports drilled, but the bosses from them are present. Yes it can be used on any MGB, however it was paired with the 18V type block originally, which has the exhaust valve cut outs on the block, which can be done to earlier block. The valve reliefs are not absolutely required, it all depends on the lift on the cam you use, you would have about .400" clearance to the block with exhaust valve, which on bores under .060" over can make contact. So if building stockish, you can just bolt it on, but if using a performance cam, or further cutting it for CR, you would nee to do the valve cut outs in the block.

OH and then the obvious, you'll need the same rear offset oiling rocker pedestal the CAM1106 used.

If it does not have hardened exhaust seat inserts in it, I would recommend putting them in.

Hope that helps.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-20 06:47 AM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
OzDave Avatar
OzDave Dave Barton
Thank Hap. That pretty much fills in the blanks for me. There's a swap meet coming up near here and I might sell this head, a key feature being that it has never been used. It's like a blank canvass for somebody who is keen to do some tuning. I wanted to know a bit more about it before I decide.
Dave

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
Dave,
As Hap mentions this head was 'originally' for a later 18V engine, Best to measure the depth and volume of the combustion chamber versus an earlier head to match to a suitable short block.

B

Check your ego Amigo!

OzDave Avatar
OzDave Dave Barton
Merci Bruce. This was one of the last heads to come out of BL parts stock so yes, it would have been for a later model RB car.

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3494249 by OzDave Merci Bruce. This was one of the last heads to come out of BL parts stock so yes, it would have been for a later model RB car.

de rien Dave,

enjoy Ancaster, (do I assume correctly? winking smiley)

I sometimes am able to make it but not this year. If you do not sell this I may be interested.

Enjoy

B

Check your ego Amigo!

OzDave Avatar
OzDave Dave Barton
Yeah mate, Ancaster. If some extremely fortunate MG owner doesn't snap this one up, I'll let you know. cool smiley.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster