Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ricornc Avatar
ricornc Chaz Ricorn
Haslemere, Surrey, UK   GBR
I've opted to order all the parts and do it myself as I'm using the rebuild of my 'B' to learn new skills. (Welding, Painting, patching up skinned knuckles etc).

However when I visited the workshop and there were several ready built units about to go out to customers so I've no doubt that they will ship complete units.

Again I can't emphasis enough how nice these seats looked and felt, they are not cheap but I could seriously see driving down thru France and Spain (1400 miles) to our villa in these seats without feeling the strain.

I can't wait.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
MGTONYGB Avatar
MGTONYGB Tony C
London Uk, UK   GBR
Chaz/Barrie,

I had also been looking at those Mirror Trim seat covers on their website but wasn't too sure about them, then went to the Practical Classic and Restoration Show where they had a couple of sample seats. They looked fantastic and better in the flesh. Really nice people to talk to and I'm planning on also buying the covers and refurb kit to do my GT fronts and rear. They will supply complete seats or you can send them your frames to be reupholstered or buy the covers.
Their 'Next Generation' seat uses an early standard base foam and their own design back foam and covers to match. They do a whole kit of foams/webbings/clips etc. smiling smiley

Panda18 Jean Paul Poirier
Summerside, Prince Edward Island, Canada   CAN
Does anyone have an old set of MGB seat covers, vinyl or otherwise ? I would need them to do template for full leather seat covers, I plan to make, with foam cushions to match the pattern I plan to make.

Thank you.

Does anyone have an old set of MGB seat covers, vinyl or otherwise ? I would need them to do template for full leather seat covers, I plan to make, with foam cushions to match the pattern I plan to make. I have access to good quality leather and cheap fabricators here in Indonesia.

Thank you.

MGTONYGB Avatar
MGTONYGB Tony C
London Uk, UK   GBR
Jean,
Just a quick point, the covers you get to take the templates from will have to be the same year as your seat foams or you can get the foams to match what covers you get to copy. There was an early base foam up to about '69, then a different one through to about '73 then another to the end of production. I think the back foam had one change.
If you have a particular style/year you want, you might want to mention that in your post. smiling smiley

I am actually meaning to produce a seat cover to resssemble the so called Executive seat but with a different pleating. I will modify new foams to fit my model. Therefore the old seat covers will be a rough template. Thanks for your thoughts.

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
The Mirror Trim option is looking likely but I'm wondering how difficult it is to DIY - when will you start on yours Chaz? Clearly DIY is going to be cheaper particularly freight wise to Oz - I need to replace the deck chairs in the GT. I was looking at Cappuccino seats but haven't found any yet, Fiero would have to be imported from US but at what price and I'm not so enamoured with MX5. It's a bugger Recaro don't make one narrow enough for the B.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CC rear attached to Ford FG ute axle. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-21 04:16 AM by MGB567.

ricornc Avatar
ricornc Chaz Ricorn
Haslemere, Surrey, UK   GBR
I've ordered my kit, and it won't be delivered until mid->late May, I could have got it quicker but won't be ready for it so I asked Paul to delay production.
So its probably going to be sometime in June before I get round to it the interior, but may try to get the seats done earlier. I'll try to take some pictures of the process and steps followed.

In the meantime there is an excellent overview of the process in "An MG is born" episode 8 of PJM trimmers upholstering a seat.

Also kind of sketchy but useful is

Wheeler Dealers

And this is quite good for how do-able it is by an ordinary mortal.

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
Yeah I keep forgetting about "An MG is Born" which I bought when first released on DVD. I don't need my seats yet (but I like to get my ducks in a row - I'll email MT and ask about freight.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CC rear attached to Ford FG ute axle. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

BusyB Platinum Member Sherman Bird
Houston, Texas, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB MkIV "Jerzy"
Miata seats from the NA series (1990 thru 1997) were not so comfortable. Those from the NB series (1999 thru 2005) were a huge improvement, as are those from the NC series (2006 thru 2015) ND's are likely good, too.

Bob2274 Bob L
Virginia, USA   USA
I reupholstered a set of Miata seats for my TVR. I used this company:
https://www.leatherseats.com

They were helpful, had a good selection of colors and options and I thought their prices were reasonable. Installation is fairly straightforward provided you have patience and are careful.

With that said: I also have a MGB-GT. It has factory seats that have been redone with new foams and leather upholstery. They are extremely comfortable. I drove across country a couple of years ago and I was amazed how comfortable they were.

The only reason I used Miata seats for my TVR is that there are no "kits" for TVR's and the foams were shot.

Pelicanpirate Avatar
Pelicanpirate Jeremy Parrett
Vero Beach, Florida, USA   USA
1968 Mini 1275GT "OLD YELLA"
1979 MG MGB MkIV "Sarah"
2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser "TANK"
These worked well from 2008 Miata. Had to strip em down to the slides.

Attachments:
IMG_0133 (1).JPG    50.2 KB
IMG_0133 (1).JPG

IMG_0136 (1).JPG    43.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
mjoeb Avatar
mjoeb joe doornenbal
scio, oregon, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
Jeremy, can you show us photos from a little further back so we can see the overall effect with the 2008 Miata seats in the MGB please? Thanks! joe

Jef Avatar
Jef Jef Van Hoydonck
Wuustwezel, Antwerp, Belgium   BEL
1972 MG MGB
Hi Ron,

I installed Miata seats in my '72 MGB (ex California)

I have choosen the older Mazda MX5 (as we call them in Europe) N/A or N/B type of seats. They have seperate headrests
which give them a more vintage look than those with integrated headrests of later Miata models.
I had them reupholsterd in leather.

They fit perfectly but mm-tight in the MGB.

I have made a subframe between the MGB floor and the seat.
The rear fixation holes are newly drilled in the floor.
In the front i used an U-profile bringing the seat in a more comfortable angle.
Fixation here the same as original.

If ever you want more pics or info plaese mail.

Jef

Antwerp Belgium

Attachments:
ZETELS-400.jpg    13.1 KB
ZETELS-400.jpg

ZETELS (2)-400.jpg    15.9 KB
ZETELS (3)-400.jpg    18 KB
MGB SEATS (2)-400.jpg    16.4 KB
tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Bowie, Maryland, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB GT
I drilled and tapped two more holes in the front box. New holes in the rear with the bolt tacked in the rail. My main motivation was for safe headrests, though with the twin hoop roll bar, I might test fit the original seats and DIY a fixed headrest. I have to admit, the 65 leather seats were pretty comfortable. I think the Miata are too. Not as good as an 85 CRX though. I have not made any long trips as I am just getting it all together, but I can say, my 74 GT seats put a bad strain on my right knee I did not get in the 65 seats.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster