Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

1275nme Silver Member Ron Hermanson
California, USA   USA
1968 MG Midget "The Red Car"
Has anyone installed Miata seats in a MGB? I am looking for a good upholstery kit for the seats. Any good reviews for a good fit. I have looked at Mr. Mikes and katz skins. I am looking for other choices for well made covers.

Thanks , Ron

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
Fairfield, CA, USA   USA
IMHO Miata seats are (a) not more supportive than MGB stock seats, (b) are harder and less comfortable, and (c) sit you a little higher in the car than before which is not a problem if you are short or medium heights, but can be annoying if you are tall.

If I were to do it over again, I'd rebuild my MGB seats instead of installing the Miata ones.

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed

mbgator Avatar
mbgator Mike Butts
DeWitt, Michigan, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Baby"
I elected to go with Fiero seats with kits from Mr. Mikes.

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r743/mbgator1/IMG00008-20111010-1130_zpsmk4nyp1h.jpg

Mike Butts

"Restoring a car yourself makes you feel like a doctor of orthopedics with x-ray vision. While others admire the patients hat, all you can see is that badly healed fracture of the left clavicle." - Peter Egan

Jazz and Blues, Aged Scotch, Good Cigars, LBC's - Ain't life grand..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-19 03:54 PM by mbgator.

geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, Mississippi, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT
One of the things I find interesting is MGB guys want Miata seats because they are better. And the Miata guys want to get rid of their seats for better seats. Perhaps it's a matter of perspective. I had a Miata and didn't care for the seats, too stiff.

The seats in my GT had that sinking feeling. To solve the problem I installed both the diaphragm and straps under the seat cushions. Much better.

If it was good 60 years ago, that's good enough for me

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce Hopgood
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
Ron,
Do a search of this forum.

A great many owners have chosen this seat install.
I am sure you can find the pros & cons you are after

B

Check your ego Amigo!

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Bowie, Maryland, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB GT
To make mine more weather resistant, I plan on neoprene seat covers. Several brands are available. I had them in my Mini and they worked very well. If you search enough places, I know I have seen leather re-upholstery kits.

Not the OP's question, but I am just under 6 foot and find mine very comfortable. The higher headrest is a big safety improvement. I think the Fiero seats look out of place in the B. Side bolsters are a big improvement for spirited driving. I don;t think they are actually more than maybe half an inch higher that good condition stock. of course, most stock seats sag quite a bit. It may depend on how you mounted them. I used generic rails from Summit.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

GMATS Avatar
GMATS GERALD MATLIN
palm beach gardens, florida, USA   USA
I found two very good 92 Miata seats and reversed them for install - passenger on drivers side and visa versa.
I did the install using a homemade steel plate, drilling holes to line up with the Mgb seat holes and holes to line up with the Miata sliders. MGB bolts went into the captive nuts and Miata bolts came up thru the bottom of the plate and were secured with nuts and washers.

I am VERY satisfied with the results. I really liked the Miata seats when I had a Miata and I am very satisfied with them in my B. When doing spirited driving I am not holding the steering wheel for dear life and I like the fact that I am not feeling like I am sitting on my living room couch. The Miata seats are not race seats but I think they are a great improvement over stock seats.

okephoto Avatar
okephoto Kevin Oke
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
I put Miata seats in my GT. They are quite a bit firmer and definitely safer than my old MG seats. My install feels a little lower than the original seats but I bolted them directly to the floor. Haven't re-upholstered them yet but like the look of Mr Mikes, will likely go that way when I redo the interior.

http://mgb1967.com/replacing-the-stock-mgb-gt-seats-with-mazda-miata-seats/

http://mgb1967.com/mazda-miata-seats-are-finally-installed-in-my-mgb-gt/

Mgb1967.com A restoration & historical journal
Mgb1967.com/mg-resource-directory/ MG Resource Directory

In the family for 49 years, and presently in what is becoming an expensive overhaul!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-19 06:06 PM by okephoto.

Attachments:
KO_C08885.JPG    57.2 KB
KO_C08885.JPG

jimb Avatar
jimb Jim Brown
San Francisco Bay Area, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
After recovering the original seats in my '67, my wife insisted that I have headrests (even a minor hit from behind can really cause neck problems).
I found some cloth miata seats on craigslist for $70. After a few years, the cloth started to come apart and I got these covers from amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZ7CA4K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They were a little more work to recover than the original seats, but I think it came out OK. I've been using them for several years of daily driving.
There are speakers in the headrests. They help more than I thought they would on overcoming wind noise vs. music.
They do sit you a bit higher. When I am sufficiently motivated, I may try cutting the seat base foam a bit.
(The seat bottom pan is already hitting the carpet, so I can't lower it any more.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-19 07:01 PM by jimb.

Attachments:
seats.jpg    39.4 KB
seats.jpg

KozyB Avatar
KozyB George Kozak
Philadelphia, PA, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB
I have 1st Gen Miata seats in my '71 B. The upholstery is the original charcoal grey fabric. When I went looking for replacement cloth upholstery kits a couple years ago, I found exactly none in the aftermarket, although I could find leather and neoprene. Not interested in those options, I had an upholstery shop repair the rip in the driver's side left upper bolster by sewing in a nice looking asymmetric patch. Good luck with your search.

I like the seats better than the stock MGB seats - the bolsters make it easier to exploit the car's handling capabilities.

Respectfully,

George

kentskinner Avatar
kentskinner Austin T
Oakland, California, USA   USA
I was rear-ended while in an old VW, and have back problems decades later. I simply do not trust seats from the 60's & 70's.
I put Miata seats in my '71 GT, and they are fine. I have faith that I won't snap my neck if I get rear-ended - a faith I didn't have with stock MG seats.

I also found that swapping them left/right makes them fit better.

Simon Austin Avatar
Another vote for 1st generation Miata seats. I have them in my BV8. Speakers in the headrests. Good support and comfortable for long distances.

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

Attachments:
IMG_4097.JPG    46.8 KB
IMG_4097.JPG

Gokart Avatar
Gokart Silver Member Rob Illingworth
Palmerston North, Manawatu, New Zealand   NZL
Yep, done the 1st Gen Miata (they are MX5's here) seats a month or so ago. Very much an improvement.

IMO the B seats are glorified deck chairs, and very expensive to refurbish properly compared to buying good used Mazda seats.

Cheers Rob

ricornc Avatar
ricornc Chaz Ricorn
Haslemere, Surrey, UK   GBR
As an alternative, Mirror Trim here in the UK (ships worldwide) do a 'Next Generation' seat which is built on the standard seat frame.

It has much deeper and more sculpted foams so that it has great lumbar support, much better side support and support under the calves of you leg.

After trying these out I've just ordered pair of these, they are more comfortable than the seats in my new Mercedes.

Worth a look.

Attachments:
White seat Black piping 3.jpg    27.5 KB
White seat Black piping 3.jpg

White seat Black piping 4.jpg    34.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
So Chaz, I know I could send Mirror Trim an email, but just to clarify that's a complete seat including frame and not just a cover over your own seats?

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CC rear attached to Ford FG ute axle. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster