Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Bummer. This was one of the last great magazines left for foreign cars and they just sent out their last issue. You can either switch to some American classic mag or wait up to 8 weeks for a refund.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-20 10:07 PM by chris.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
EmgesMG Avatar
EmgesMG Robert Emge
Red Bluff Ca., USA   USA
Got it with the letter Saturday, too bad cause I think they're making a big mistake as they were poised to pick up the Asian car guys who are a hell of a lot younger, they're not gonna get them with their other offerings for sure. I'll miss it because I refuse to pay $10 for the Classic and Sportscar monthly which is mostly ads and pithy commentary from Martin Buckley about anything related to America or Americans. If anyone has an alternative I need "reading room" material.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, Washington, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
The only other magazine that is even close is Classic Motorsports. I've subscribed to this one off and on, mostly due to being unemployed and cutting expenses. I'll miss it for sure. Kyle.

angliagt Avatar
angliagt Doug Milota
Roanoke, Virginia, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "The MG"
1974 MG Midget MkIII "The Midget"
This was THE BEST magazine out there in the last 12 years.
I get C&D,R&T,& Automobile,only because they are really cheap,& I give them
away after reading them,but save every issue of Sports & Exotic Car.
I think that they should have let the readers know that this was coming,
rather than a "Dear John" letter.
Another part of my life gone......

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 3473278 by EmgesMG Got it with the letter Saturday, too bad cause I think they're making a big mistake as they were poised to pick up the Asian car guys who are a hell of a lot younger, they're not gonna get them with their other offerings for sure. I'll miss it because I refuse to pay $10 for the Classic and Sportscar monthly which is mostly ads and pithy commentary from Martin Buckley about anything related to America or Americans. If anyone has an alternative I need "reading room" material.

There has been a lot of Japanese articles lately; maybe they were trying. Classic Motorsports felt the need to change things several years back and that's when they lost me. Sports and Exotic Car was cool in that they specialized in showing cars that most of us could afford if so desired, instead of a diet of Ferrarris and such. Oh well.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
miatadon Avatar
miatadon Silver Member Don Scott
Calistoga, California, USA   USA
I was sad to receive that last issue with the enclosed letter informing readers that the magazine was to be discontinued. The last issue had a great article on the '92-'93 Integra GS-R, and I own one of those cars. Also, it had articles on 240Z and Morris Minor, and I used to own those cars too. I used to subscribe to the magazine's predecessor, Special Interest Autos, and I have every issue of it. (Magazine freak that I am, I also have almost every early Road & Track back to 1948)

Questions come to mind. Are Americans just not reading magazines now? Or has the USPS raised bulk rates such that American publishers are unable to make much profit? There are a multitude of magazines published in the UK that deal with everything under the sun, and they not only don't go out of business, more titles seem to be appearing all the time. Or are old foreign cars not that hot an item in the US?

ohmite Avatar
ohmite Eric O
Eden, NY, USA   USA
Thanks for he info. All I can say is crap sad smiley.

I echo everything said here, I get the digital edition now so didn't get informed yet. Sad to see them go, I just realized it was the last US magazine that I read.

Dang!

andy303 Avatar
andy303 Andrew Blackley
Chardon, Ohio, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB MkI ~ For Sale ! ~
I got the same "Dear John" letter in the latest and last edition, and I am also very disappointed. S&EC was the best US produced magazine for our type of car, by far and it will be missed. Receiving the Hemmings Classic Car publication will be cold comfort and I doubt that I will resubscribe..

I was also a long time subscriber to Classic Motorsports which I dropped as it became too saturated with ads and has weak written content besides. The layout and formatting tend to overwhelm the content such that the ads and articles blended together, which I find to be annoying. S&EC was well written and had much more dense text and logical pictorial layout.

I was about to let my Classic and Sportscar subscription lapse, now I may have to keep it.

lawnvett Avatar
lawnvett Silver Member P.J. Lenihan
Winston-Salem, N.C., USA   USA
as our president would tweet SAD

Don't postpone joy

tkamd73 Avatar
tkamd73 Silver Member Tim Bradley
Menomonee Falls, WI, USA   USA
Bummer, I'm gonna try and get a few issues of Hemmings Motor News out of them instead. Very doubtful many of us will be happy with American Classics Mag as a substitute. Tim

geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, Mississippi, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT
As I understand the advertising $$$ is dropping for all sorts of print media. It may have been a combination of a lack of subscriptions and a lack of advertising income. The magazine has been dropping their subscription rates to encourage distribution. Perhaps the advertisers have decided their cash is better spent on a rag with greater circulation.

Who's version of right are we talking about? When you get 10 LBC owners in a room you'll get 12 different answers.

GlennMGB Avatar
GlennMGB Glenn G
Fort Worth, Texas, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "Rose"
I have two large stacks of old S&E magazines. I'll just start re-reading from the bottom of the stack. I forget most things immediately anyway, so it'll be like the subscription never stopped.

billh1963 Avatar
billh1963 Bill H
Beaufort, SC, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB MkI
1967 MG MGB GT
1968 MG MGC GT
1968 MG MGC GT    & more
In reply to # 3473465 by geezer As I understand the advertising $$$ is dropping for all sorts of print media. It may have been a combination of a lack of subscriptions and a lack of advertising income. The magazine has been dropping their subscription rates to encourage distribution. Perhaps the advertisers have decided their cash is better spent on a rag with greater circulation.

It's mostly about ad dollars.

Most of us are conditioned to ignore ads when we read a magazine or newspaper. Open up a magazine and read an article. Honestly, how many of you even remember any ads that were around the article?

Advertising dollars are going to digital media...it's a fact of life.

For the record, I'm not happy about it either. I was pissed when I got that letter in my magazine yesterday.

Gerry Avatar
Gerry Gold Member Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, Louisiana, USA   USA
" Are Americans just not reading magazines now?" I suspect that is only part of the problem just as I suspect there is a good reason why Americans choose not to read. The fact that classic cars do not interest most Americans any more is also a part of the problem.

ingoldsb Avatar
ingoldsb Silver Member Terry Ingoldsby
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   CAN
1971 MG MGB
Quote: Are Americans just not reading magazines now?

I think you nailed it. They are too busy reading Facebook and Twitter.

Terry Ingoldsby
terry.ingoldsby@DCExperts.com

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster