AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Dave W Avatar
Dave W David Wilhelm
Willits, California, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB GT "New Girl"
The craigslist add was weird, but I emailed him anyway.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/6020027838.html

This is the response. Sounds like the Rover may be in New York not CA. I dont know, "6 cylinder is incredible in performance and power" I haven't driven a straight 6 Rover but that seems an exaggeration. "imported Italian leather" Really? For 8G? Maybe I'm too suspicious but I smell something fishy. Any other opinions? Oh and there were no photos.

craigslist 6020027838 <nz2mx-6020027838@sale.craigslist.org>
To 8f769e6e00f5368fa40d1d4cfdf65f55@reply.craigslist.org Today at 7:43 AM
Hi,
I am selling my 1967 Landrover 109", 6 cylinder, for $8000
please let me know if you got the photos or not..(please send a better email, if you still can't receive them via craigslist).
12 Seater..seats 12 people.
Left hand drive..NADA.You won't find these anywhere.
It's a once in a lifetime sale
I originally paid more than double for it.
It took me 3 years to find this divine one.
It was shipped over from California, and it sat in a garage for over 40 years.
It starts on command...
I have the clean title and bill of sale.
It is in 12590 wappingers fall, ny
The only reason I am selling it is because I am moving, for my new job, and can't bring it with me. My loss is your gain. My neighbor is selling his 109 for $59k, and it has more miles than mine, and mine is perfect).
Please let me know if you got the pictures, and if you want me to send it via craigslist, or another email address.

The 1967 109" is the most beautiful Landrover they ever made, with center headlights.
This is 109" is really one of it's kind, and will never be found again.
You will never find another one like it, and it's a last year they made that style.

The truck is powered by the 6-Cylinder engine mated to a 4-speed manual transmission with overdrive. 6 cylinder is incredible in performance and power.

It's Combined with the high/low transfer case, the overdrive allows 16 forward and 4 reverse gears for conquering any and all terrain. The chassis is a heavy steel box frame with heavy-duty leaf springs wrapped in a full aluminum body so the panels will not rust. The seats and below window panels are clad in imported Italian leather.

shipping it is not expensive..
I can send you several shippers.
JP

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
"parked for 40 years." Yet "6 cylinder is incredible in performance and power. "

No pics. May be real, but not getting a good vibe.

HiPowerShooter Avatar
HiPowerShooter Gold Member James Booker
Oshkosh, Wisconsin, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
Tell them you have a friend/family in that area and ask if it's possible for them to act as a proxy...see how they respond. If they "flinch"...just stop communicating with them. Make sure your anti-virus/malware software is up to date as well...

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"--Alvin "Tex" Johnston...Boeing test pilot.

73 MGB. Tires: Round, black, hold air. Oil: Sometimes old, sometimes new...always slippery. Oil filter: Yellow, usually full of oil. Carbs: 2 SU HIF. Distributor: Yes. Headlights: Not that bright but bright enough. A bunch of other stuff most cars have but not really important enough to itemize. Oh, wait...it has a cool sounding exhaust with stickers on the chrome tips. Really slays the ladies...

Nathandunn Nathan Dunn
Brentwood, TN, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "Bond"
I'm willing to bet scam too. Let us know what tactics you use and how it works out. I would follow advice of poster, my friend lives by and would like to come see it for me.

Jim63 Avatar
Jim63 Gold Member Jim S
Bartlesville, Oklahoma, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB MkI "Iris"
Just tell them it sounds great and you would like to come look it over before buying. If it is real they won't have a problem. If it is a scam then they will tell you some excuse to keep you away.

Was looking at some jet skis at a "to good to be true" price. Told them I was going to be on a trip near their address and wanted to look them over. They told me some excuse of not being able to get to their storage where everything was kept. End of story.

Also "My neighbor has one for $59k". Big red flag on that statement.

Jim

Paul755 Paul H
Richmond, Virginia, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB MkIII
1979 MG MGB MkIV "Nemesis"
The 67 Land Rover 109 Series IIA did come with a 2.6L in-line 6. The NADA -North American Dealer Area models were LHD 109's . There were 811 Sold. I had one in the late 80's that had been restored, and the seats were leather, I don't know if that was original or Italian. As for incredible performance, he is right it was incredibly slow. 0-60 ,you used a calendar not a stop watch.

Seem a bit too good to be true, and Craigslist is the " I'll ship the car after I receive the payment " scammers preferred medium . Especially when a NY car is advertised in CA.

Rick Fawthrop Avatar
Rick Fawthrop Richard Fawthrop
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
It is a scam fron a foreigner. The language is odd because it was done with google translate or some similar app. Run like hell.

angliagt Avatar
angliagt Doug Milota
Eureka, California, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "The MG"
Let's see - no pictures,the ad's in SF,& the truck's in NY.
If you do get pictures,& there no licence plate visible,I'd definitely
say scam.Or if they want you to send a deposit.

Paul755 Paul H
Richmond, Virginia, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB MkIII
1979 MG MGB MkIV "Nemesis"
Just looked at that location on Google maps and it seem to be the Green Haven Correctional Facility.

Davesms69 Avatar
Davesms69 David Neelley
Terry, MS, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB
I had a 109 as well. There is a reason so few were made. So slow, 0-60 in 24 hours! I don't think they could keep up with the Jeeps of the day, so they pulled them before they killed the company.

jkabrown Avatar
jkabrown Silver Member Kenny Brown
Reno, Nevada, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB MkI
1976 MG MGB
If you receive photos, use google's reverse image search to see if they grabbed it from somewhere else. Be careful.

RKM Avatar
RKM Richard Marcks
Palm Desert, CA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
It's amazing that two neighbors would both own such a rare vehicle!

Motion Avatar
Motion Gold Member Dale Spooner
Danville, Virginia, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
Coincidentally, I have one of those in the shop right now. Check out the valve-in-block angled deck and the high flow intake ports. From what I hear, this model took slow down to a new level.

Member Services:
Complete automotive machine shop, with special interest in British motors.

Attachments:
DSC00544 (Small).JPG    35.5 KB
DSC00544 (Small).JPG

DSC00545 (Small).JPG    38.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSC00546 (Small).JPG    32.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
billh1963 Avatar
billh1963 Bill H
Beaufort, SC, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB MkI
1967 MG MGB GT
1968 MG MGB GT
1968 MG MGC GT    & more
Scam all the way

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster