AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MicroBrew412 Avatar
MicroBrew412 Mike A
Macomb, Michigan, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB
So I took my '71 B out of storage last summer and have all the kinks worked out except that the water pump is making some noise so I planned on replacing it today. I drained the coolant and its a disgusting brown color (see picture.) The car sat in storage for about 12 years after being fully restored so I just added some water last summer to get it running. The car runs great right now and doesn't seem to have any noticeable problems when driving. Will I just need to flush it a few times or am I looking at something far worse? Fingers crossed...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_1110.JPG    22.8 KB
IMG_1110.JPG

chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
That's just rust and such. No worries. Flush and refill with new 50/50 mix.

Member Services:
English car parts, new and used. Check out the Vendor Market page for ever changing specials.
steve78b Avatar
steve78b Gold Member Stephen Brockwell
Elgin, OK, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Lilith"
May just be light rust from having only water in contact with the steel/iron in the block and head. I've done that before and just flushed it with Prestone flush then put in the right amount of antifreeze.

(I was typing while Chris was replying)

Steve stuck in OK

Love my MG.
Many are like it
........ no probably not.
Unless others are duplicating my mistakes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-20 10:25 AM by steve78b.

HiPowerShooter Avatar
HiPowerShooter Gold Member James Booker
Oshkosh, Wisconsin, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
Flush, fill, run and drive.

Nothing unexpected there...

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"--Alvin "Tex" Johnston...Boeing test pilot.

73 MGB. Tires: Round, black, hold air. Oil: Sometimes old, sometimes new...always slippery. Oil filter: Yellow, usually full of oil. Carbs: 2 SU HIF. Distributor: Yes. Headlights: Not that bright but bright enough. A bunch of other stuff most cars have but not really important enough to itemize. Oh, wait...it has a cool sounding exhaust with stickers on the chrome tips. Really slays the ladies...

MicroBrew412 Avatar
MicroBrew412 Mike A
Macomb, Michigan, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB
Ok I feel a little better now. This may sound really stupid but can I just put a hose in the thermostat housing outlet and run water through it?

In reply to # 3472679 by chris That's just rust and such. No worries. Flush and refill with new 50/50 mix.

BumbleB74 Avatar
BumbleB74 William Milholen
Tidewater, Tidewater VA, USA   USA
You can, but to do a better job buy some radiator flush stuff at your parts store, and follow the directions. Might want to do it a couple of times.

You'll be amazed you get out.

1974-1/2 Roadster, "Bumble Bee", Corvette Yellow - in shambles, wire wheels
1976 Roadster, "Virus", Sandglow - "driver" condition (stock + 32/36 Weber DGEV, cast iron header, 25D distributor), bolt on wheels, ON the road!

dipstick Avatar
dipstick Kenny Snyder
La Center, Washington, USA   USA
1941 Ford N-Series
1958 MG MGA 1500 Coupe "Rosie"
1970 MG MGB GT "Pat's GT"
1971 MG MGB "Gifted To Me"    & more
"... can I just put a hose in the thermostat housing outlet and run water through it?"

With the lower radiator hose off the hose will be helpful in the thermo (probably closed), and in the radiator. The bottom of the block water jacket is loaded with rust and will require flush chemicals to loosen.

Be safe out there.
Kenny

RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
Prestone makes an inexpensive kit that comes with a "flushing tee" that fits in your heater hose. Hook it up to your garden hose, turn on the water and wait until the water comes out clear. Add antifreeze. RAY

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1978 MG MGB V8 Conversion

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links