AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

stuart.e Avatar
stuart.e Stuart Edwards
Blackpool, Lancashire, UK   GBR
1969 MG MGB
Hi
I am thinking of buying a full Tonneau cover for my 1969 roadster in red mohair ideally. The car is old English white. A company in the UK sells one which is very reasonable but it doesn't have the
lift the dot fasteners on when it comes. They supply them separate with instructions. It comes with the steering wheel pouch and zip etc.

Just wondered if anybody else has purchased a tonneau like that and how easy is it to fit the lift the dot fasteners in the correct positions etc ?

Many thanks for any advice.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
The one from Moss came that way. It doesn't take but a little more than an hour to install with simple tools.

Member Services:
English car parts, new and used. Check out the Vendor Market page for ever changing specials.
sws615 Avatar
sws615 Stephen Struck
Grand Haven, MI, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT
1975 MG MGB "Commission # G23N124120"
2007 Acura TL Type-S
2015 Acura MDX
Hi Stuart,

X2, not a difficult job, but fiddly. Can't speak for a new tonneau, but most of our old factory bits have shrunk and become very tight. Makes the job of putting one on something that has to be done in a particular order, and preferably in the hot sun of a clear summer day. But tight is good! In order to do it's job properly, it really has to be a snug fit. Presumably it does come with the other snaps and fasteners all fitted, so I'd get them in place and then figure the hole locations for the lift-the-dots very carefully to keep things tight and looking good. And of course, measure twice and make holes once. grinning smiley

Have fun.

Steve

RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
Easy enough to install. Mine took less than an hour taking my sweet time. Simply press the tonneau cover against the Lift A Dot post, mark the spot with a piece of chalk and then use an awl to punch a hole in the marked spot. Then install the Lift A Dot. RAY

GBGary Avatar
GBGary Gold Member Gary Rand
Burbank, California, USA   USA
1969 Alfa Romeo Spider
1972 MG MGB "Frankenstein"
1972 Rover 3500 "Bertie"
1974 Jensen Healey
A word of caution regarding fitment, pull it tight and then mark your spots. With the mohair or hartz cloth, they tend to stretch in the short term and maybe the long term. I only had vinyl ones in the past and they tend to shrink over time, so not knowing I did not pull the new one as tight as I should have and it's a little slack. However, not slack enough to refit the hardware, so just a word of warning FWIW.

Gary

1972 MGB Roadster

stuart.e Avatar
stuart.e Stuart Edwards
Blackpool, Lancashire, UK   GBR
1969 MG MGB
Hi everybody many thanks for all your advice really appreciate it. I have decided to buy a vinyl one now in red which comes with all the fasteners etc in place. Just think if the mohair one gets dirty or anything it will be awkward to clean etc. Company is Prestige selling the factory quality vinyl.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster