AutoShrine Sponsor

mgbgt111 Avatar
mgbgt111 c erskine c
pelham, shelby county, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA
1973 MG MGB
1995 Chevrolet Corvette
1995 Ford F-150 Pickup "Puddin"    & more
I replaced the brake pads on my 79 and noticed the left side caliper had fairly easy pistons to push in, but the right side took a lot of effort. The pads were 50% worn.
The new pads went in and all seemed good until a few minutes into the test drive. Suddenly, the right side front brake became stuck on and it took all of my limited horse power to get the car out of the street.
After letting my car sit for two hours, the car would now move, so I drove it home with little brake use as possible. As I approached my house, I applied the brakes in a panic type stop and the caliper stuck on again.
My question is concerning the cause. Would it appear that my caliper is at fault or my brake hose? (Or something else)

Deo Volente

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-20 09:02 AM by mgbgt111.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Probably the hose but it could be the caliper.

Member Services:
English car parts, new and used. Check out the Vendor Market page for ever changing specials.
LENZ Avatar
LENZ Jim Barlow
Leominster, Massachusetts, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB GT "Murphy"
is there any rust evident around the caliper piston? after 2 hours the pressure backed off, i would go with hose. if piston is stuck it usually stays stuck
check both to be safe
jim

tomkatb Avatar
tomkatb Larry Baygents
Dayton, Ohio, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB
Simple test.

Drive the car to the point the caliper gets tight. Make tours around a long block etc.

Drive into the driveway. Have a ready Jack to raise the pan at the caliper. Make sure the wheel is locked or very tight when raised.

Open and close the bleeder quickly.

Try to turn the tire. If it then turns easily It is the hose. If not the caliper. Easy.

Learned from a local guru. A professional.

If it is the hose replace all three. Or both calipers.

L.W.(Larry)Baygents
63B
77 Spit

PeterC Avatar
PeterC Platinum Member Peter Caldwell
Madison Wisconsin, USA   USA
In the garage on stands, apply brakes. On the stuck caliper, open the bleed screw. If you get a squirt of fluid and the brakes release, the hose is bad. If it doesn't release, the piston is rusted. The former is a hydraulic issue, the latter a mechanical one.

Peter C

Member Services:
Supplying New Old Stock parts for all imports. A LARGE quantity being loaded to our EBAY store stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts Rebuilding lever shock absorbers for British cars. (800)362-1025 M-F 8-5 Central or parts@nosimport.com
BusyB Platinum Member Sherman Bird
Houston, Texas, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB MkIV "Jerzy"
Replace both calipers and flex hoses.... they are nearing 40 years old. I had an enigmatic wobble/oscillation from the steering of my 1989 Dodge D-150 after getting it running again following years of just sitting. Everything pointed to a shock or tire issue. New tires and shocks.... needed them anyway, but no dice on fixing the problem. I redid the brakes with reman calipers, new hoses, wheel brgs, rotors, pads....Fixed!

Jerry Avatar
Jerry Jerry Harrington
north east, USA   USA
from what you said about pushing back the calpers, it can be the caliper is seizing...for some reason front right usually goes first...must be the road side junk that get into it....replace the pistons (if you like to work on them) with the newer stainless steel caliper pistons...they will not corrode any more.....

mgbgt111 Avatar
mgbgt111 c erskine c
1961 MG MGA
1973 MG MGB
1995 Chevrolet Corvette
Should I replace just the right side caliper and hose, or is that false economy?

Deo Volente

BusyB Platinum Member Sherman Bird
Houston, Texas, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB MkIV "Jerzy"
I don't consider economy with something as absolutely crucial as brakes. In for an inch, in for a mile. It is a very old car with parts that might be of questionable integrity. Cheap insurance.... replace both sides!

Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
Always go symmetrical on brakes, whether on new rotors, pads, calipers or hoses.

Asymmetry in braking can be dangerous, especially up front where 80% of the brake action is eye rolling smiley

In reply to # 3472836 by mgbgt111 Should I replace just the right side caliper and hose, or is that false economy?

Rod H. Avatar
Amity, Oregon, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
The only time I'd go with one hose would be if they were fairly new and one got damaged by a road hazard. Kind of the same philosophy as with tires. Otherwise, always symmetrical.

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

mgbgt111 Avatar
mgbgt111 c erskine c
1961 MG MGA
1973 MG MGB
1995 Chevrolet Corvette
How about if I just replace all the hoses and see what happen?
Maybe there is nothing wrong with my caliper.
Would that be okay?

Deo Volente

andremn Andre Nieuwenhuis
Richland Hills, TX, USA   USA
The hose. Had to change mine yesterday, same thing

mgbgt111 Avatar
mgbgt111 c erskine c
1961 MG MGA
1973 MG MGB
1995 Chevrolet Corvette
Should I go stainless or OE?

Deo Volente

chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Totally ok to just replace the hose! If the problem goes away, then you know that was the problem! Calipers rarely go bad around here. Back east that may be a more common problem.

Member Services:
English car parts, new and used. Check out the Vendor Market page for ever changing specials.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1978 MG MGB GT

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links