AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce Hopgood
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3472895 by CLT74MGB So what is the original engine color for a 74 B?

all later cars, (>1971?) came fitted with 18V motor and all 18V motor were OE black,

B

I have always been mad!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
Steve S Avatar
On The Road, Lost in So Cal, USA   USA
In reply to # 3472830 by riley1489
In reply to # 3472823 by Steve S black engines are ugly. They always look dirty, and visibility is poor when wrenching on them. It's a cheap look to my eyes, kind of like a black engine bay.
Ouch!
I didn't say black engines ARE ugly. I said in my opinion black is ugly. But you edited your quote to remove where I stated that it was only my opinion. Not sure why?

Nothing is truly ugly, but everything is unattractive some someone. Different folks and all that. I simply don't like the look of black, but many do.

In reply to # 3472862 by Gerry Pour a pint of oil on a black engine and you will never see it. Do the same on a red engine and it will show up bigtime. I like black because it always looks good even when it's dirty
If you have a pint worth of dirty oil on your engine, you should probably clean it anyway. In my view this is an argument against black! It's harder to clean. Unless you don't like cleaning grime off engines I guess, then black is probably the best color.

riley1489 Avatar
1953 Jaguar XK120
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3472930 by Steve S I didn't say black engines ARE ugly. I said in my opinion black is ugly. But you edited your quote to remove where I stated that it was only my opinion. Not sure why?

Steve relax, you will need to try way harder to upset me. grinning smiley

FWIW Re read your post below,
"My opinion, black engines are ugly."

David writes in the OP,

"I am thinking of going with the more traditional maroon engine"

curiously there were more model years of Black engines than MG Maroon, (unless I can't count properly winking smiley).

just sayin'

B

I have always been mad!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-20 03:39 PM by riley1489.

BumbleB74 Avatar
BumbleB74 William Milholen
Tidewater, Tidewater VA, USA   USA
paint it what ever color floats your boat! Purist will reek....but they do that.

Some folks have done that lovely Austin green...that can really look nice!

1974-1/2 Roadster, "Bumble Bee", Corvette Yellow - in shambles, wire wheels
1976 Roadster, "Virus", Sandglow - "driver" condition (stock + 32/36 Weber DGEV, cast iron header, 25D distributor), bolt on wheels, ON the road!

Defender405 Avatar
Defender405 Chris B.
Des Moines, Iowa, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB
I had the same decision on my 75 and I decided that I just didn't want a black engine. When I looked at options I kept coming back to the MG maroon since it looks good and is at least marque correct. I went with the silver on the valve cover, oil pan, and other covers/accessories to get some contrast. When I got the car everything including the engine bay itself had been rattle canned flat black, so that may have had something to do with wanting to get away from black. With that said though I really like how mine has come together, in some ways the engine bay is the prettiest part of my car.

Chris AKA "Defender405"
1975 MGB
1979 Porsche 924
1999 Porsche 996
1987 Nissan 300ZX

Attachments:
MG Engine-trans.jpg    40.1 KB
MG Engine-trans.jpg

Steve S Avatar
In reply to # 3472955 by riley1489 Steve relax, you will need to try way harder to upset me. grinning smiley

Surely nothing to be upset about! The original post asked for opinions on original black versus painting a different color, so I simply gave mine as requested. I had no intention of upsetting anyone, just answering his post. I'm sure there are those whose opinion is that bright red engines like mine look bad, but that's fine with me! smileys with beer

Gerry Avatar
Gerry Gold Member Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, Louisiana, USA   USA
John Moore painted his Austin Green. There is also someone here who did a silver/gray. Looked good-like cast aluminum. That would probably be my second choice after black

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
I cringe when people tell me to paint an engine all black, boring, but that's just me, even then I ask then to let me add detail contrasting color to it like silver, something to not make it so boring. For those that want it as it came form the factory, more power to them.

IMHO, At the end of the day, these cars are not so valuable, that something did in a period correct manner, like a MG Maroon engine color, or 5 speed, would negatively affect the car's value, more like appreciation from a future buyer smiling smiley

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-21 06:08 AM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
Thurlowb Avatar
Thurlowb Silver Member Brad Thurlow
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Any takers on the idea of matching engine to interior colour? Someone earlier said later engines were all black. Mine is maroon in the block and black on the head. When I redo the engine, I won't keep that combo.

Brad

riley1489 Avatar
1953 Jaguar XK120
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3473089 by Speedracer I cringe when people tell me to paint an engine all black, boring, but that's just me, even then I ask then to let me add detail contrasting color to it like silver, something to not make it so boring. For those that want it as it came form the factory, more power to them.

Com'n Hap, isn't the client always right? devil smiley

B

I have always been mad!

Captain Dave Avatar
Captain Dave Silver Member David Blakey
Clinton, Tennessee, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "Lil B"
Here is my version of something different. Dave Headley originally painted the engine and after a rebuild I refreshed it a bit.

Attachments:
MG Engine Bay.jpg    49 KB
MG Engine Bay.jpg

little G Avatar
little G Gold Member Charlie T
queensland, QLD, Australia   AUS
1964 MG MGB "Little G"
What's wrong with yellow ...lolololololol

I painted my 327 yellow in a black engine bay.. cool smiley..For me , it is the best colour to see any type of liquid on but it does seem to stain easier ...I would consider doing my B motor with it ...depending on engine bay colour ...smiling bouncing smiley

In reply to # 3472823 by Steve S Not like I painted it yellow or pink.

Attachments:
My Chev motor.jpg    28.9 KB
My Chev motor.jpg

Steve S Avatar
Yellow on a big V8 is awesome, especially in a black car! Not so crazy about it on inlines though. For some reason to me it doesn't have the same punch as it does on a wide block.

Give the paint a clear coat and it shouldn't stain. I've been doing this for years now and the paint stays much brighter and stain-free. I have two engines here, both painted in the same red from the same cans within a year or two of each other. The clear coated one still looks nearly new after about 6 years of weekly driving, while the non-cleared one (as a daily driver) has become flat and has some stains and streaks where common leaks occurred over about 4 years since it was done.

Chalky Avatar
Chalky David White
Coventry, Warwickshire, UK   GBR
Painted mine bright red - the same colour as the engine in the MG metro. Looks good in the yellow engine bay.

little G Avatar
little G Gold Member Charlie T
queensland, QLD, Australia   AUS
1964 MG MGB "Little G"
Yes too easy Steve ...I was just having a bit of fun with ya regarding using yellow ...lolol you are probably right re: the clear ...I built and painted that motor when I was about 24 ..as you can tell by the photo quality and it was high gloss paint , something like a 2 pac I think ...I got it from work ( a plant hire company ...Wreckair ) where everything was yellow ...lolol so no extra clear was added on top ... I think I would still give it a go in the B...only a darker yellow and adopt the clear as you say ..

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster